• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have the benefits of being in the collectors society changed?

16 posts in this topic

About a year ago, having returned to the hobby, I began to purchase a few CGC books out of interest. After initially purchasing a few CGC's off of dealers who were only too happy to point out what a deal I was getting considering the slabbing and shipping fee, I ran into a collector/dealer who explained to me that I could join the collectors society, get about $500 worth of free coupons thereby significantly reducing the costs of slabbing books that I already possessed. I checked the site and decided that I would wait until after the next convention in my area where I planned to buy a few Bronze keys.

Upon checking the site it now seems the collectors society benefits have changed. Instead of getting $500 in coupons you get 3 free standard submissions. The implications of this are obvious as if you have a dozen Bronze books in the $100-$250 guide range then really the membership no longer makes sense. It also makes me wonder how people are able to slab enourmous amounts of modern books under the blue universal label. Residing in Canada, slabbing is already a more expensive undertaking, when you factor in shipping and exchange rates.

My questions really are did this happen recently? Does there seem to be an indication that Blue universal slabbing is decreasing? Or am I missing some other method of slabbing that saves the consumer costs? It seems to me that CGC is discouraging the mid-level collector from using their service as some of the later silver age stuff is really not cost effective for slabbing. I can see this as a tactic to encourage more brown slabs of modern books thereby decreasing their workload time. I my case however, I have some higher grade stuff from the Early Bronze/Later Silver, IE. Sterenko Caps, Early Werewolf By Nights, Tombs of Drac, etc. confused.gif

Any info related to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

You never got $500 of CGC submissions. You got $500 worth of coupons to all the different grading services (which for most people was useless). They did change from 3 express to 5 standard. The actual cost is about the same, but it made it more worthwhile for those collectors who do that have $1,000 books.

So you get 3 free EXPRESS submissions, which was changed from 5 standards. Again if they amount to basically the same thing cost wise, I wonder why not offer a choice between the two?

Thanks for clearing up the coupon issue however, I appreciate it. laugh.gif

It has always been 3 express, but a few months ago they announced it was going to be changed to 5 standards. Apparently they either still haven't changed it to 5 or they decided against doing it...

The "benefits" are these:

-You can submit the books yourself (A foolish thing to do as you can submit through Heritage, Mnumental, etc... and receive a 20% discount)

-You get now 5 standard (it was 3 express when I joined) for $100. That's $20/book, alot cheaper than regular rates. When it was 3 express, I liked that for $100 I could have 3 books graded and back in my hands w/in two weeks.

Not, quite as good now, even though you get 2 more books, cause of the wait.

Chris

The "benefits" are these:

-You can submit the books yourself (A foolish thing to do as you can submit through Heritage, Mnumental, etc... and receive a 20% discount)

Chris

So can you join and still continue to submitt through heritage after you use the frebees??

It's been 3 express submissions, wherever this 5 standard thing is coming from it must've been extremely brief. "My Family" has joined 5 times including recently and JUST GOT IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY 3 express submissions (the same that "my family" has received on all their packages).

Brian