• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman magazines...are they any good?

24 posts in this topic

Is the Spiderman magazines any good? Not sure how many there are but I know there was a Spectacular Spiderman magazine and I think one other. Anyone own them or know if they are good? Are they BW or color?

Also the Marvel preview #2 origin of Punisher, is this book any good? Is it BW or color?

Thanks

Scott

Spectacular Spider-man 1 is in B&W, and essentially reprinted in Amazing Spider-man 115-118 or so.

Spectacular Spider-man #2 is in color, and is a real blast of a comic with Spidey vs. the Green Goblin. It's also part of regular continuity, taking place during Amazing Spider-man 65-67 or so and answering the question of "WTF happened to the Green Goblin after ASM 66?".

Spectacular Spider-man #1 is quite good, and worth checking out. It's in B&W, and if I recollect correctly art is by Ross Andru and Jim Mooney smile.gif

Art is primarily by John Romita Sr., pencils and Jim Mooney, inks.

Some art is by Larry Lieber, pencils and Bill Everett, inks.

Agreed. The base story is there, pages are omitted.

Does anyone know if SSM #2 was originally intended as a storyline in Amazing Spider-man, which then got slapped into the magazine format?

It's part of regular continuity, takes place after ASM 65-66, and is in standard color, comic book format. If so, then it kinda bugs me that ASM missed out on a kick-hass Goblin story... mad.gif

Spectacular Spider-man #1 is quite good, and worth checking out. It's in B&W, and if I recollect correctly art is by Ross Andru and Jim Mooney smile.gif

Art is primarily by John Romita Sr., pencils and Jim Mooney, inks.

Some art is by Larry Lieber, pencils and Bill Everett, inks.

Thanks! wink.gif

There were hints galore in the ASM title going up to it. Methinks it was a typical Stan Lee scheme to move into the magazine biz. Just a prequel to the X-men cross-over nonsense of the 90's - Stan always was ahead of his time.

E

Agreed. The base story is there, pages are omitted.

Does anyone know if SSM #2 was originally intended as a storyline in Amazing Spider-man, which then got slapped into the magazine format?

It's part of regular continuity, takes place after ASM 65-66, and is in standard color, comic book format. If so, then it kinda bugs me that ASM missed out on a kick-hass Goblin story... mad.gif

I checked a few Romita interviews and can't find anything concrete. I thought I had read the shift to color for the magazine was deliberate and hoped to find some more discussion on the topic. Stan and John were definitely trying to keep the magazine going, and John even drew some pages for issue three.

So, why not cross weave from the comic and make sure the fans picked up the magazine. Sure, it was cancelled after only two issues, but John states the magazine actually sold well and that Martin Goodman was the one that pulled the plug too early.

On another note, I really wish the Essential Spider-man volumes would have included SSM #2.... After all, they include all the meaningless Giant-Size and Annual "filler stories", yet leave out a big hole in the continuity of 1968's ASM.

Just try getting your hands on the 40c variant of Spectacular Spider-man Mag #1. Overstreet has it listed as the same value as the 35c version, but I've only seen 2 copies of the 40c variant in my time compare to hundreds of the 35c version.

Here was a previous thread on it...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...ge=5#Post575360

-bounty

Just try getting your hands on the 40c variant of Spectacular Spider-man Mag #1. Overstreet has it listed as the same value as the 35c version, but I've only seen 2 copies of the 40c variant in my time compare to hundreds of the 35c version.

Here was a previous thread on it...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...ge=5#Post575360

-bounty

Flying Donut just sold one for $37.51.

auction