• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #58

11 posts in this topic

Hi...

I'm a fairly new member, and wanted your grading opinion on a few of my old spiderman comics. This one is one of my better ones, however, it is not my best. I'd consider my best the Amazing Spiderman #50 that I sent in for grading using my express coupon. So the grade on this will give me a fair idea of what the #50 would be graded at. Thanks for all your opinions and feedback.

My personal grade would be a 9.2 (but since I'm so new at this, I'd consider myself no expert because I don't know how they factor in variables (like a 30 year old comic that looks good versus a new comic that looks great).

c9ab0d5b71.jpg

840d9d5bde.jpg

Thanks again for any help/advice, etc. I will be selling the Amazing Spiderman #50 once I get it back and will post the link to the auction on the forum boards.

That's not a problem....I am not disappointed...I needed an objective opinion. I've read Overstreet and other's (Comics Price Guide, etc). So I'd rather have an honest opion and the reasoning on how you came to that conclusion. For example, how do they factor in age? Obviously a comic that is, let's say 30 years old, isn't going to look nearly as good as one that was printed this year. Does that factor into the grade?

Here is a snippet from ComicsPriceGuide on grading (and I'm sure you've all read it)....

Very Good [VG+:4.5, VG:4.0, VG-:3.5] - Here's were it starts to get tricky. VG could have one major defect like a larger piece out of the cover (1/4 inch to 1/8 inch), or a one-inch plus tear. It has stress lines around the staples and creases from the opening and closing of the cover. The whiteness of the page have been replaced by a yellowish color. This comic is definitely a well-read copy and could have a reading or center crease or a rolled spine, but is not damaged enough to reduce eye appeal. This could still be a very desirable copy. Even some discoloration, fading in colors and even minor soiling is allowed (Yuck!). Some stores used stamps, name stamps, arrival dates on the cover this is fine for this grade. The cover and/or inside pages could have minor tears and/or folds and the centerfold could be loose or detached. One or both staples might be loose, but cover cannot be completely detached. Pages and inside covers could be brown but NOT brittle. You might find tape used to fixed some tears (never ever do that though).

Now I have an ASM #22 that falls in that category, however, it looks pretty rough, so I wouldn't give it a grade that high. I submitted an Uncanny X-Men #10 that didn't have any tears, etc., but looked better than the ASM #22, yet worse that the image above. However, comparatively speaking, they both make the one I have above look terrific.

And maybe that is my problem with my grading technique (or lack thereof). I am using comparisons....if this one falls under a 4.0, then this one has to be a 10.0 laugh.gif

Thanks for your assistance, and I'd be curious to hear what defects you saw that made you arrive at that conclusion.

That's not a problem....I am not disappointed...I needed an objective opinion. I've read Overstreet and other's (Comics Price Guide, etc). So I'd rather have an honest opion and the reasoning on how you came to that conclusion. For example, how do they factor in age? Obviously a comic that is, let's say 30 years old, isn't going to look nearly as good as one that was printed this year. Does that factor into the grade?

You'd be suprised what some 40+ year old books can look like. cloud9.gif CGC does include the age of the book into the grade sometimes.

>

Here is a snippet from ComicsPriceGuide on grading (and I'm sure you've all read it)....

Now I have an ASM #22 that falls in that category, however, it looks pretty rough, so I wouldn't give it a grade that high. I submitted an Uncanny X-Men #10 that didn't have any tears, etc., but looked better than the ASM #22, yet worse that the image above. However, comparatively speaking, they both make the one I have above look terrific.

And maybe that is my problem with my grading technique (or lack thereof). I am using comparisons....if this one falls under a 4.0, then this one has to be a 10.0 laugh.gif

Thanks for your assistance, and I'd be curious to hear what defects you saw that made you arrive at that conclusion.

Have you ever thought of getting an "Overstreet Grading Guide"? It has descriptions along with multiple pictures of a book to represent every grade on the scale. I think that would be great for you. It is always hard to come up with a grade simply based on words. Having another book to compare it to would help greatly.

And the defects I saw included a several color breaking spine creases, some color abrasion, large corner crease, crunched bottom left corner, slightly rippled cover in one section, rounded corners and minor edge wear. Basically just general wear.

Welcome to the boards, Barronius!

I'd say 6.5 as well on the ASM #58. King summed up the defects nicely. It's a nice-looking book, but the trick with grading is that you have to grade on structure too, not just eye-appeal.

Some time spent with the grading definitions in the Overstreet guide, and/or the grading guide suggested, will help you tighten up your grading. And for fun, take a look at the other books on this grading board & see how the folks here arrive at grades for those books. Stick around! thumbsup2.gif

Jon