• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC grade foreign comics?

16 posts in this topic

I have a really old superman that appears like it's from the 40's, but the number is 6D. I think it's Australian. Would CGC grade such an issue? Does it have any value?

I doubt it is Australian, more likely from the UK. And yes, CGC does grade foreign comic books. thumbsup2.gif

I have a really old superman that appears like it's from the 40's, but the number is 6D. I think it's Australian. Would CGC grade such an issue? Does it have any value?

I doubt it is Australian, more likely from the UK. And yes, CGC does grade foreign comic books. thumbsup2.gif

Wow thats great. The 6d relates to the price. The D relates to pence. Before Australia moved to the decimal currency in the 60's we used to have the English monetary system of Pounds, Shillings & Pence.

I have many of my Australian Blackhawk comics displayed on an Aussie website that displays Aussie DC reprints. It may have many of the answers that you may have about your book.

Aussie DC Reprints

Hope this helps.

Russ...

My first instinct was to tell you this was a UK price variant. Exactly the same comic in every way as a US copy, printed at the same time, in the same factory, with the same ink, on the same paper with only the price being different.

However i then remembered that comics were not distributed on a wide scale here until 1959. 1940's books usually used to make their way across the Atlantic with American Sailors helping with the war effort against Nazi Germany.

Therefore i would imagine that your copy isn't a price variant but rather a UK or Australian reprint. Scans would be great.

CGC would be happy to grade it for you.

Wow thats great. The 6d relates to the price. The D relates to pence. Before Australia moved to the decimal currency in the 60's we used to have the English monetary system of Pounds, Shillings & Pence.

I have many of my Australian Blackhawk comics displayed on an Aussie website that displays Aussie DC reprints. It may have many of the answers that you may have about your book.

Aussie DC Reprints

Hope this helps.

Russ...

A very interesting site Russ, thanks for the link. thumbsup2.gif

Hopefully though the original poster will post some scans of the book to help us determine if we are talking about a UK or an Australian version. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Welcome to the boards! thumbsup2.gif

The cover art of your comic looks to be from a late 40s/early 50s story, and would have nothing to do with the American Superman #26 which was WWII-era (and in fact had a WWII-themed cover). No idea on value of your book, but it has no relation at all to the original #26.

Actually it's the story told in Action 129. Is it worth what #129 is worth?

http://ausreprints.com/content/main/index.asp?issue=1810

Regardless, I mailed it in last week to CGC.

No, it wouldn't be worth anywhere near whatever 129 is worth as it's a reprint. However it is a 60 year old book and will therefore have some value in the right hands.

Actually it's the story told in Action 129. Is it worth what #129 is worth?

http://ausreprints.com/content/main/index.asp?issue=1810

Regardless, I mailed it in last week to CGC.

No, it wouldn't be worth anywhere near whatever 129 is worth as it's a reprint. However it is a 60 year old book and will therefore have some value in the right hands.

Its a strange world when you think about it.

Sure its a reprint.(to a large degree) Some of the American wording would have been removed and replaced with wording closer to the English grammar.

Sure its probably worth a fraction of the Action #129 price.

It would most likely be B&W unlike the color US version.

Its production run was probably 1000 times less than the USA comic from which it was based which also means its probably 1000 times rarer than the US copy.(Do a search on Aussie E-bay. Ebay.com.au and see how long it takes to come across another copy.)

Its probably near impossible to find in high grade. ( Finding an Aussie reprint of that age in VFN condition would be like finding a NM+ of the US equivelant)

I really believe that Aussie printed comics are a great untapped collectors heaven. They are not like a US copy that has had a different price attached. They are printed on different paper & are usually of a different size.

Just dont plan on ever finishing a run. I have been collecting 4 years and have managed to only find 50 issues from the 127 issue Blackhawk series 1948-1960's & thats in any condition.

But then I am showing a good deal of bias, being from Aus.

Regrds,

Russ...