• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Point Five's Golden Age/Atomic Age Sale! BIN, Forum-Only!

95 posts in this topic

You know Tim, I'd be curious myself on the Gerber #. If anyone can look it up, feel free to post. thumbsup2.gif

Not sure which one you're looking for, but the Women In Love is a Gerber 7... the First Romance #3 isn't in Gerber (stops at #2).

Last romance book:

Perfect Love #10, 1953. You can't help but love this perfectly cheesy photo cover! Entertaining stories, plus a great one-page “Your Movie Manners” feature instructing girls how to behave on a movie date with a guy (sort of like “The Rules” circa 1953). Nice rich cover colors & quite glossy; creamy supple pages; spine wear & slight rub in the logo; printing crease under logo (looks worse in scan); call it a strong VG overall. $9

perfectlove10.jpg

MLJ lovers, this one's for you.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pep Comics #18, 1941. Low-grade/reader copy of a truly wild and tough-to-find book. 2nd appearance ever of the Hangman, in a story filled with even-more-racist-than-the-average-GA depictions of blacks. Sergeant Boyle story where he fights Nazis, pre-Pearl Harbor. Great Madame Satan story. First story is The Shield, during which his sidekick Rusty gets shot in the head by a midget gangster disguised as a baby in a baby carriage…nothing quite like these early MLJs! The book grades Fair…fugly spine with obvious problems, cover wrap is detached from book and front/back covers are only holding to each other by the top few inches. That aside, cover colors are bright (scan looks a bit washed-out for some reason) and the book displays decently; pages are creamy & supple. Back cover is a pinup picture of The Shield. Reader copy of a highly desirable issue. Impossible to find in any grade. $65 SOLD

pep18.jpg

143ksk poke2.gif

Pep Comics #18, 1941. Low-grade/reader copy of a truly wild and tough-to-find book. 2nd appearance ever of the Hangman, in a story filled with even-more-racist-than-the-average-GA depictions of blacks. Sergeant Boyle story where he fights Nazis, pre-Pearl Harbor. Great Madame Satan story. First story is The Shield, during which his sidekick Rusty gets shot in the head by a midget gangster disguised as a baby in a baby carriage…nothing quite like these early MLJs! The book grades Fair…fugly spine with obvious problems, cover wrap is detached from book and front/back covers are only holding to each other by the top few inches. That aside, cover colors are bright (scan looks a bit washed-out for some reason) and the book displays decently; pages are creamy & supple. Back cover is a pinup picture of The Shield. Reader copy of a highly desirable issue. Impossible to find in any grade. $65

pep18.jpg

Pep Comics #18, 1941. Low-grade/reader copy of a truly wild and tough-to-find book. 2nd appearance ever of the Hangman, in a story filled with even-more-racist-than-the-average-GA depictions of blacks. Sergeant Boyle story where he fights Nazis, pre-Pearl Harbor. Great Madame Satan story. First story is The Shield, during which his sidekick Rusty gets shot in the head by a midget gangster disguised as a baby in a baby carriage…nothing quite like these early MLJs! The book grades Fair…fugly spine with obvious problems, cover wrap is detached from book and front/back covers are only holding to each other by the top few inches. That aside, cover colors are bright (scan looks a bit washed-out for some reason) and the book displays decently; pages are creamy & supple. Back cover is a pinup picture of The Shield. Reader copy of a highly desirable issue. Impossible to find in any grade. $65

pep18.jpg

takeit.gif

143ksk poke2.gif

Some of us do have jobs, Bob! 27_laughing.gif

Yep, and so do I, right now.

Here's hoping I still have one by the time I'm done posting books... 27_laughing.gif

Jobs schnobs. Get to posting! poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

First Romance #3, 1949. Early Harvey romance book with a quite charming & innocent cover, before they started torqueing up the drama & sleaze. Well above average copy looks F with very bright inks and near-white pages, but back cover is more like VG- because of some edge crimps from being bundled back in the day…I'll call it a strong VG+ overall. Still a tough early book to find with this eye appeal. $11

firstromance3.jpg

takeit.gif

Mysterious Adventures #20, 1954. One of the truly over-the-top pre-code horror titles, and one of the best issues of the run! According to OS Guide, this issue was used in the Senate hearings on comics, and it's no wonder why…blood draining, slashings, living corpses, multiple hangings, and oh yeah, this! I'd grade this book a very solid VG+ to VGF. Just a bit of UR corner rumpling & some spine wear. Very glossy cover, nice supple creamy/offwhite pages. Back cover This book is extremely difficult to find in better than VG (trust me). $90 SOLD

myst20.jpg

Mysterious Adventures #20, 1954. One of the truly over-the-top pre-code horror titles, and one of the best issues of the run! According to OS Guide, this issue was used in the Senate hearings on comics, and it's no wonder why…blood draining, slashings, living corpses, multiple hangings, and oh yeah, this! I'd grade this book a very solid VG+ to VGF. Just a bit of UR corner rumpling & some spine wear. Very glossy cover, nice supple creamy/offwhite pages. Back cover This book is extremely difficult to find in better than VG (trust me). $90

myst20.jpg

WOw, and this is coming from 1954.......