• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Point Five's Golden Age/Atomic Age Sale! BIN, Forum-Only!

95 posts in this topic

Hi guys, and welcome to my Golden Age/Atomic Age BIN forum sale! I'm offering up a batch of low-grade/affordable issues of some pretty cool (& in many cases pretty tough-to-find) GA books for sale. Quite honestly I hate to let any of these go, but I'm looking to scare up funds for some other purchases. Even if you don't see something you want, hope you enjoy browsing some books you don't see in the forums every day!

All prices listed are Buy-It-Now prices. Just post the “I'll take it!” in this thread if you'd like to purchase a book. Secure shipping within the US is $4 for orders under $30, and $5 for orders $30 & above. I'm happy to work with forumites outside the US, and will ship at cost via the method of your choice.

Some of you know me already, but some probably don't. My name is Jon Lyness, aka Point Five here on the boards. I've sold GA books to quite a few forumites already. I've also bought (constantly) & sold (occasionally) on ebay under the name “gentleman_jon”…feel free to browse my feedback and read the lovely comments about my grading from buyers. I work hard to correctly grade & fully describe books that I sell, and will cheerfully accept a return if I miss something glaring or pretty much for any reason…I always want a buyer to be completely satisfied. OK, enough of my life story and on with the show!

Terrors of the Jungle #21, 1953. Stunning copy of this classic LB Cole GGA/bondage cover. The colors on this one are tremendous in hand…cover has deep rich colors & unblemished image area, giving the book the superb eye appeal of a mid-to-high-grade copy. I'd grade it a very strict VG+…there's a tiny piece missing at top staple, very light non-color-breaking rumple to the book bottom right corner, and light wear around the spine. Supple offwhite pages. Back cover Real tough issue to find in this condition…a beauty! $130 SOLD

terr21.jpg

Atomic War #1, 1952. Classic, classic book that belongs in every anti-communist collection! This book doesn't come up for sale every day, and with good reason…not too many folks looking to let this one go. Includes graphic details of the destruction of NYC by atomic bomb (geez, thanks a lot guys…); VERY strong stuff. This copy grades about Good-… at some point the cover wrap became detached and was glued back to the book, which is why front cover looks a bit crooked. Some overall wear as seen in scan. Nice cover colors, creamy supple pages, solid book. Back cover Reader/filler of a tough issue always in demand. $85

atomicwar1.jpg

Bobby Benson's B-Bar-B Riders #4, 1950. Western title and some durned entertaining stories, despite the bizarre cover which seems to lean towards precode horror. Very sharp Powell art on a couple of stories (& quite a bit of GGA/bondage in at least one story). Tight black cover with less wear than average, but whole book has a deep crease upper right corner...let's call it Good+ overall. Nice creamy pages. $10 SOLD

bbarbriders.jpg

Wonderworld #22 & #24, 1941. I just love these early Fox books…even without Lou Fine on board, some highly entertaining superhero stories, & even the ads reward a second look. I'd grade both of these around Good/Good-. Both issues have detached cover wraps, with archival tape discreetly sealing spines from inside…solid, supple reading copies. Both display well for the grade, with strong color and quite a bit of gloss left. #24 has a cool black cover, pretty rare for a Fox. Back cover scans here (#22) and here (#24). The back covers and centerfolds of both books advertise Kooba Cola, which apparently never existed (a Victor Fox scheme-in-the-making that didn't get off the ground), and the centerfolds tell kids to send in their Kooba bottle caps for some great prizes (wow, you only needed to send in 5,975 bottle caps for a table tennis set!). Pages on both books are creamy & very supple. Great early GA superhero books! $50 for #22, $55 for #24 or take the pair for $100

ww22.jpg

ww24.jpg

Terrors of the Jungle #21, 1953. Stunning copy of this classic LB Cole GGA/bondage cover. The colors on this one are tremendous in hand…cover has deep rich colors & unblemished image area, giving the book the superb eye appeal of a mid-to-high-grade copy. I'd grade it a very strict VG+…there's a tiny piece missing at top staple, very light non-color-breaking rumple to the book bottom right corner, and light wear around the spine. Supple offwhite pages. Back cover Real tough issue to find in this condition…a beauty! $130

terr21.jpg

takeit.gifsumo.gifcloud9.gifacclaim.gif

How about an EC? More on deck... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Weird Fantasy #11, 1952. Classic Al Feldstein “smoking crater in Manhattan” cover. Very sharp copy grades VG/VG+; beautiful color & gloss, but grade is dropped because of some non-color-breaking impressions/creases around the logo area. (Quick, buy this book before Heritage does!) Cover has superb eye appeal with bright inks, looks near-VF in the Mylar. Sharp book for the technical grade & price…took me ages to find this one. Pages creamy & very supple. Back cover $90

wf11.jpg

Good pickup October. It really is a nice book!!! thumbsup2.gif

I am really happy I pulled the trigger. I was just saying to Jon that I love Cole, but it's really hard to find books that both look nice and are in my price range. This one just barely made it. I try to keep my purchases under $100, but look at that cover! Freakin amazing.

By the by, that's not color touch on the upper edge of Wonderworld #24...just scanner weirdness. My scanner seems to throw a harsh light on the upper edge of books, making top edge defects look VERY extreme...that's also why ULC of the Weird Fantasy #11 is so distracting in scan. OK, onward!

Two-Fisted Tales #41, 1955. Last issue of the classic EC war title…and in fact, the splash page is a farewell text piece by editor Harvey Kurtzman. Beautiful moody cover by Jack Davis (!), but the real treat here is Wally Wood's art on a story about an explorer who is mauled by an elephant in Africa…even by Wood's usual high standards, he obviously put a great deal of care into this one. Sharp-looking book with beautiful deep cover colors, but it has some light cover foxing and just a hint of moisture stain at extreme edges of bottom right corner (see back cover ), just barely noticeable inside. Book's eye appeal & structure look like a sharp FVF, but I'll have to call it a strict VG+. Very nice book. $32

tft41.jpg

Thrilling Comics #14, 1941. Neat “damsel in distress” Nedor cover. Front cover detached and worn, back cover pretty much gone (a fragment is still attached to front cover w/archival tape). A reader copy, and happily the pages are nice & bright. Features Doc Strange (a pretty blatant Superman copy IMO, right down to the S on his belt…how did DC's lawyers miss this one?), The Woman in Red (bizarre feature about a woman fighting crime in a red gown & red mask), and other stories. An editorial page towards the back anticipates America's entry into the war, nine months before Pearl Harbor. Back page (Black Terror ad) here. Reader/filler copy of this cool early superhero book. $30

thrill14.jpg