• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IN 2000 U COULD HAVE BOUGHT....................

18 posts in this topic

I WAS BROWsing thru the 2000 overstreet and in it was PCEI a'ds offering the

pac coast TOS 39 nm++ for $16k

and the pac coast xmen 1 nm++ for $22k

today u can buy those for $125k

and $100k

Shhhh.........we have to keep this quiet or else Gene will come here and give us another one of his verbal spankings. 27_laughing.gif

You should know by now that the financial markets have thoroughly outperform the silly book market over the past several years by a long shot. gossip.gif

and $100k

Shhhh.........we have to keep this quiet or else Gene will come here and give us another one of his verbal spankings. 27_laughing.gif

You should know by now that the financial markets have thoroughly outperform the silly book market over the past several years by a long shot. gossip.gif

I wonder how many other comic books have performed so well over the same time period? A pretty short list I would imagine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and $100k

2000 seems surprisingly late for those books to still be available. I'm almost positive that most of the key Marvels, including these issues, had already been cleaned out by 1999.

I would like to remind everyone who thinks that books were clearly cheap back in 2000, that those prices evoked a LOT of anger AND laughter at the time. I was one of the laughers, since I had picked up a NM TOS 39 for $6000 and a X-Men 1 for $10,500 in the 1998-99 timeframe, and couldn't fathom paying more than double the prices I had just paid, which I felt were plenty hefty already.

I wonder how many other comic books have performed so well over the same time period? A pretty short list I would imagine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On the contrary, I would be willing to bet that virtually every raw SA book in 2000 that was subsequently slabbed as a 9.4 or higher has at least tripled in value since then. For many BA books, particularly in 9.6 or above, FMV has increased at an even more accelerated rate since 2000.

On the contrary, I would be willing to bet that virtually every raw SA book in 2000 that was subsequently slabbed as a 9.4 or higher has at least tripled in value since then. For many BA books, particularly in 9.6 or above, FMV has increased at an even more accelerated rate since 2000.
Are you talking about slabbed books specifically? If so, here is an analysis on average prices, for Silver 9.4-9.8. Chart details explained in other posts. The red spline curves say it all (normalized prices removing extreme highs).

Quarterly%20Averages%20(Q3%20

Monthly%20Averages%20(Jul-02%20to%20Mar-06)%20All%20Titles%20Silver%20Age%20(1956-1969)%20CGC%209.4.jpg

Monthly%20Averages%20(Jul-02%20to%20Mar-06)%20All%20Titles%20Silver%20Age%20(1956-1969)%20CGC%209.6.jpg

Monthly%20Averages%20(Jul-02%20to%20Mar-06)%20All%20Titles%20Silver%20Age%20(1956-1969)%20CGC%209.8.jpg

Are you talking about slabbed books specifically? If so, here is an analysis on average prices, for Silver 9.4-9.8. Chart details explained in other posts. The red spline curves say it all (normalized prices removing extreme highs).

I`m talking about prices in 2000 (yours start in 2002), which by definition means mostly non-slabbed books, since CGC was only starting to pick up steam in 2000, compared to prices today, which means slabbed books since that is the benchmark for price maximization.

On the contrary, I would be willing to bet that virtually every raw SA book in 2000 that was subsequently slabbed as a 9.4 or higher has at least tripled in value since then.

Well duh!

No one was on here in 2000, proclaiming that prices were too high and the ceiling was going to fall in.

Personally, I was on EBay and at local shows, buying as much as I could and pinching myself to make sure the prices I was paying were not a dream. I could not believe that so many key BA issues were languishing, and that there was such a ready supply. When I first bought some VF-NM and NM ASM 129's for $20-$30 a shot, I really couldn't believe it. Some key issues in lots were even less expensive.

So if you were laughing at how high prices were in 1998-2000, then screwy.gif. It's 2002-present that prices skyrocketed and all the speculators rolled in. It's the people that bought in heavy at the apex that are going to pay, not those who went hard in 1998-2000.

well, when my 401K goes up $5000 in one quarter (without any contributions from me now that I have a separate pension plan), as it did last quarter, maybe delekerteste has a point about the equity markets (hah hah, watch me get snookered into the same thing all over again like in 2000)....I gottah work hard selling a lot of comics to match that! (Or have bought some really spensive ones at the right time that i'm selling now)

Here's the kicker, you probably could have picked up the whole Action run from 1-100 for about 1500 to 2000. Those would be primo copies too. Just imagine what a Detective run would have been like.

I tried to borrow $100 from my mom in 1964 or 1965 to buy an Action 1. Howard Rogofsky had it and of course there was tape on the spine but still.... The Silver agers are the killers. Nothing over $10. Had a catalogue of Bill Thailing from Cleveland and went through it about 10 years ago to see what $1000 would have been. Got to a million dollars. Now would be much more

I tried to borrow $100 from my mom in 1964 or 1965 to buy an Action 1.

Being a bit younger than you poke2.gif, I had a similar experience in the mid-1970s. The amount was the same, $100, but the book I tried to get permission to buy was FF #1. Needless to say, my parents did not respond favorably. To this day I like to show my Mom the Guide's prices for FF 1 and remind her she wouldn't let me buy it for $100.