• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preserving original art

12 posts in this topic

I guess I'm just wondering how to preserve pencils only art. I've been wanting to buy some, but I've been afraid to because I thought it would fade easily. Are there methods of framing to ensure it won't fade?

The first thing you have to do is spray the piece with a generous amount of fixative, that will protect the piece and keep it from smudging.

Then when framed you need to get the best possible UV filtering glass.

That should do well for you.

Chris

I use Prismacolor's Final Spray Fixative (Matte) to preserve pencils that I've drawn. You can't even tell it's on the art when sprayed and the art can't be erased, smudged, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on pencils if I ever bought any.

I don't know that I would say a "generous" amount of fixative. It doesn't take much and too much will result in problems from the fixative. You also want to make sure that you spray from about a foot or so away. I'd practice on a blank page before testing it out on art you want to keep. Best, Steve.

P.S. UV glass or similar protection is essential if you are going to display the art.

I have framed OA all over my house. My trick is I made hi-res copies of them all and framed the copies, leaving the originals in portfolios where they're safe. Its kind of cheating, but it gives me a feeling of security knowing my art is safe. Plus I was able to tinker with the contrast of several penciled pages so they appear much darker.

Do I need to spray inked art like I would "only penciled" art?

The fixative spray is only to keep pencil and graphite from smudging. Inked pages won't smudge, and unless they were inked with a non-archival sharpie marker (see some Perez and Starlin pieces from the late 80's that are now purple where they should be black), they should not fade either.

Chris

Marker pages are often water reactive as wel las sun sensitive- those I keep in the portfolio away from everything.

I own a number of pencil pieces I've never used fixatives and they are like new after as much as 25 years. Key is to matte them and frame them- jeep them away from sunlight. Key thing is to not put them in portfolios as they can smudge or electrostatic charges on the plastic can loosen the pencil or graphite from the paper. Graphite and pencil to my knowledge is not light reactive and should not fade with exposure to sun light.

Best George Hagenauer