• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Spidey 136?

25 posts in this topic

Great book - great story, great cover, great art! So yeah, I'd say it's a sleeper, at least until Spidey 3 comes out ("The Return of the Green Goblin")!!

Yeah I'm kinda on the fence myself with it, I l think its a real cool cover and I like the story alot. Have a chance to pick up a real sweet NM copy (ungraded copy) of it for Guide price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is a great book, and one of the best Spidey covers. Used to have one that I had picked-up years ago for like $3-4. Really sweet copy, but ended up selling it (and have yet to replace it frown.gif)

Chris

I think ASM 136 is easily one of the BEST Spidey books ever. With the way the 1st Spider-man movie ended, it's inevitable that Harry will become the Green Goblin in a sequel. I was going to read that book last night(haven't read it in over a decade), but I was too busy. I picked up a CGC 9.6 W from Idealcollectables about a year and a half ago, and I recently bought a "raw" VF copy that has the Mark Jewelers insert. If you thought ASM 122 was HOT when the 1st movie came out..... 893blahblah.gif

I think ASM 136 is easily one of the BEST Spidey books ever. With the way the 1st Spider-man movie ended, it's inevitable that Harry will become the Green Goblin in a sequel. I was going to read that book last night(haven't read it in over a decade), but I was too busy. I picked up a CGC 9.6 W from Idealcollectables about a year and a half ago, and I recently bought a "raw" VF copy that has the Mark Jewelers insert. If you thought ASM 122 was HOT when the 1st movie came out..... 893blahblah.gif

I agree. Most of the time when a character dies and comes back, it's extremely hokey, like the stupid explanation of how Jean Grey came back. X-Men 137 was a great book...and later authors had to ruin it and most other stories with her from #100 to #137 with the stupid idea that the "real" Jean Grey was trapped in a cocoon underwater all those years. In Spidey 136, though, Harry taking on the identity of the Green Goblin was quite natural and made a lot of sense within the framework of Spider-Man's and Norman/Harry Osborn's past. It's so well thought-out, I have to wonder whether the author planned for Harry to become the Green Goblin before he ever killed off Norman; 136 came out just over a year after 122 so it's highly probable it was planned that way.

I've got three copies of 136 in 9.0 to 9.6 condition, and I'm not parting with any of them for a while...it's definitely a sleeper. A CGC 9.4 copy just went for $245 last week, which is an EXTREMELY strong multiple of guide for a relatively common Bronze book.

If you're looking for a really nice copy of this massively undervalued book buy this one! grin.gif

Sneaky Spidey Spammer.... 893whatthe.gif

Its all about MARKETING, my friend. That and taking every opportunity to hype your really super product! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You're going to be royally arse-chewed by the rabid Marxist anti-spammers annnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyy post now............

I have to go read ASM 136 right now...........I'll be back grin.gif

Gotta also read the issues preceeding 136...if memory serves, Harry's discovery that his father was the Green Goblin and his hatred for Spider-Man built up for quite a while before 136.

I think it is a very undervalued book in the sense that Harry was the Green Goblin a lot longer than Norman was. For me, all the Spidey books with Green Goblin in them were Harry, so he was THE Green Goblin as far as I was concerned. Definetly undervalued, especially when you consider that ASM #135 tends to command a larger premium, and it isn't even nearly as important. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I think ASM 127 was the "1st mention" of Harry becoming the green goblin. I have Marvel Tales reprints of all those issue. The only book I don't have a "reading copy" of is 136. I read 134 an 135 a couple of weeks ago. Anyway.....I'm opening my 136 right now...........

Okay...I'm back. I just read ASM 136. Amazing book. What doesn't this issue have? Exploding apartment? HAS IT. MJ being hospitalized? HAS IT. A flashback to the death of GWEN STACY and NORMAN OSBORN? HAS IT. A great battle between SPIDEY and the GREEN GOBLIN? HAS IT. A pissed off PETER PARKER? HAS IT. And if you only buy "slabbed" books, ASM 136 has one of the BEST Spidey covers of ALL-TIME. I think the terms "under-valued" and "under-appreciated" are GROSS UNDERSTATEMENTs...........