• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Get Fuzzy fans here?

9 posts in this topic

I love that strip, and try to pick up the books as they are released. I notice today that the next book, Scrum Bums, was supposed to be out in this month but now has a release date of March 2007 (Amazon.com and the publisher website)!!! 893whatthe.gif

Wonder what is up with that? Hope it doesn't have anything to do with that Sportscaster lawsuit in Boston last summer. mad.gif

Yeah I was hoping for some big payoff on that one but it never showed. My favorite of all time was when Bucky kept referring to himself in the third person. We have some of them printed out at work.

1194861-getfuzzy23_strip.gif

1194861-getfuzzy23_strip.gif.e82d077b41149f4fc8c1a6ec961675ee.gif

A strip published on May 13, 2005 resulted in legal action. In the original strip, Rob, Bucky and Satchel are watching television. Satchel asks "Is this sportscaster... drunk?" Rob replies "Lobel? Who knows. He's like some TV outreach program or something." This is despite the fact that it has been reported elsewhere that Lobel is known to drink and has appeared on air in an intoxicated state.

Less than a week later, Boston sportscaster Bob Lobel filed a libel lawsuit against Conley, United Features Syndicate, and the New Bedford Standard-Times newspaper. (The New Bedford paper was named specifically because it did not censor the strip as several other Boston-area papers did, including The Boston Globe; most either refused to run the strip or substituted "Him?" in place of Lobel's name.) The lawsuit claimed that the strip was both personally and professionally damaging, especially given that his contract was under negotiation for renewal at the time.

On Nov. 16, 2005, a brief article in the Boston Herald reported that Lobel and Conley had settled the suit out of court. Conley made a public apology to Lobel, saying the strip was not intended to imply that he had been drunk on the air. Further details of the settlement were confidential, but the Herald quoted an unnamed source as saying Conley had made a substantial donation to charity.

Wikipedia entry

One of the few strips that can make me laugh out loud. I'm willing to forgive a dry spell now and then, as I can't imagine having to come up with something funny 365 days a year. I'm just bummed Boondocks is on hiatus.