• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question Regarding ASM Canadien and British priced copies

15 posts in this topic

1. There is no final Cdn priced ASM as it is ongoing today due to the 20% exchange rate against the US greenback.

2. First pence copy was probably Amaz Fantasy # 15 else ASM #1 if u are just referring to the Spidey title itself.

1. There is no final Cdn priced ASM as it is ongoing today due to the 20% exchange rate against the US greenback.

I think he's asking about Cdn priced only .

Those stopped quite some time ago.

And with respect to those issues I think they were only on newsstand issues.

Pence copies would have started with any comic from 1959 although there are a few earlier instances where comics were "tested" here

It's hard to tell when the exact cut-off for UK and Canadian copies before they were all incorporated into one triple cover price. I have just looked at my cover archive and for instance ASM 233 has a triple price where as ASM 238 has US and Canadian variants. Not sure about a UK copy. Nonetheless it was sometime in the mid-200's.

You might enjoy THIS ARTICLE

I think he's asking about Cdn priced only .

Those stopped quite some time ago.

And with respect to those issues I think they were only on newsstand issues.

Yes, I am asking about Cdn priced only and yes, they were only on newstand editions.

Pence copies would have started with any comic from 1959 although there are a few earlier instances where comics were "tested" here

It's hard to tell when the exact cut-off for UK and Canadian copies before they were all incorporated into one triple cover price. I have just looked at my cover archive and for instance ASM 233 has a triple price where as ASM 238 has US and Canadian variants. Not sure about a UK copy. Nonetheless it was sometime in the mid-200's.

You might enjoy THIS ARTICLE

I read the article some time ago. Interesting stuff.

My ASM UK priced editions do stop at 120 and start again at 215. My latest copy is 223.

My earliest/latest Cdn copies are 234/279.

Can anyone provide proof that my last 3 statements are incorrect with respect to the earliest and latest issue numbers?

2) What was the first and last British (pence/pound) cover-priced issue of ASM?

#1 to #120 and then #215 to whenever they introduced the diamond-shaped dual pricing. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Flaming T, why did they stop between 121 and 214?

#1 to #120 and then #215 to whenever they introduced the diamond-shaped dual pricing. thumbsup2.gif

At the time (mid-70s) there were British reprints on the UK market (Mighty World Of Marvel, to name but one) that featured certain characters. The main US titles featuring these characters were therefore withheld from distribution in the UK (to stop confusion and competition)...Spidey being the main casualty. thumbsup2.gif

At the time (mid-70s) there were British reprints on the UK market (Mighty World Of Marvel, to name but one) that featured certain characters. The main US titles featuring these characters were therefore withheld from distribution in the UK (to stop confusion and competition)...Spidey being the main casualty. thumbsup2.gif

Of course! Duh!! foreheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gif

Doug Sulpia in this years Overstreet goes on to say...

Canadian Newwstand Variants...

Archie (Jan 1984-Dec 1997)

Charlton (Feb 1983-Aug 1984)

DC (Oct 1982 - Sep 1988)

Dell (1960-1962)

Gold Key (1968 AND 1973)

Marvel (Oct 1982 to Aug 1986)

Warren (1977-1983)

Whitman (1983-1984)

Doug says he gets 25% over guide for these variants.

Regarding Pence Variants

I think December 1981 was the last date that UK Priced only Marvel comics were printed in the US. This was a couple of months later than DC so there are a few 20 Pence Marvel Variants but the DC Price variants stopped at 15 Pence.

Earl.