• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Own any 9.9's or 10.0's?

28 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Action 812 that I mean to get graded, but can't motivate myself to do. Maybe I'll take it to SDCC this year, if CGC is doing on-site grading there. Unlike some, I can understand what keeps a 9.8 from being a 9.9 or 10.0. I have scoured this comic, inch by inch, and cannot see a single flaw at all. No white specs on the spine, razor razor sharp corners, perfect staples, etc. I'm trying to find the smallest of microscopic errors, to convince myself not to send it in, but can't find a thing. Thing is, if it comes back a 9.9, it probably won't sell for much more than the cost of grading.

there. Unlike some, I can understand what keeps a 9.8 from being a 9.9 or 10.0.

Oh please do share Rob! I would love to know. I consider it to be one of the final unsolved mysteries of the world.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound all-knowing. smile.gif I just meant, I realize that in order to get a 9.9 or 10.0, your book has to be perfect to the naked eye. Not near-perfect. I've seen others' ideas of "perfect", yet you can visibly see tiny flaws on their comic. Even if it's a microscopic white speck on the corner, it's not 10.0 material. I think people are lenient when grading their own books, and figure "oh, that speck's too small to make a difference in grade."

Thanks for the rude sarcasm!

there. Unlike some, I can understand what keeps a 9.8 from being a 9.9 or 10.0.

Oh please do share Rob! I would love to know. I consider it to be one of the final unsolved mysteries of the world.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound all-knowing. smile.gif I just meant, I realize that in order to get a 9.9 or 10.0, your book has to be perfect to the naked eye. Not near-perfect. I've seen others' ideas of "perfect", yet you can visibly see tiny flaws on their comic. Even if it's a microscopic white speck on the corner, it's not 10.0 material. I think people are lenient when grading their own books, and figure "oh, that speck's too small to make a difference in grade."

Thanks for the rude sarcasm!

Sorry Rob, it wasn't intended that way! I've just never come across anyone that knows blush.gifhi.gif

I've never noticed the difference between a 9.8, 9.9 or 10. I also don't understand why we have 9.9 and yet don't have a .1 decimal placement anywhere else in the grading spectrum.

""I also don't understand why we have 9.9 and yet don't have a .1 decimal placement anywhere else in the grading spectrum. "

Yeah, it's odd how it skips .5 untill it reaches 9.8

err... 9.0 gossip.gif

Well, I admit I can't tell a 9.9 from a 10.0. Like I said, from what I can tell, they're both visually perfect. I suspect a 9.9 would have 1 or 2 literally-microscopic flaws, not visible with the human eye. For 9.8's, I can usually see the defect with my eyes. It's usually a teenie-tiny flaw on the spine somewhere. Production-related. But I'm no expert, just meant to say that I'm not talking about a raw 9.6 in my possession.

I own three 9.8's, and I think two 9.6's.

- Soulfire #1 Diamond Previews cover (9.8) -- bought at Wizard World for $5, spent all day in my bag without a bag or board, and made it the 4 hour drive back home ... stil a 9.8. headbang.gif

- Astonishing X-Men #4 (9.8)

- Superman/Batman #13 Supergirl cover (9.8)

- Wolverine (Vol 1) #10 (9.6)

- Flash #1/2 (9.6)

- Oh and an Astonishing X-Men #1 Dell'otto variant (9.6) ... but who doesn't confused-smiley-013.gif

I have only ever sent in 5 books and have no plans to send in anymore unless I find a pristine copy. The other 3 I sent in I just wanted them stored well.

I got a ASM 36 WTC issue off the rack and sent it in as I thought it was flawless.

It came back a 9.8 and I was happy.

I also sent in a Hardware Platinum copy and got a 9.6 on it. Its a top census book.

But there only like 3 in the census. blush.gif)