• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer ethics

29 posts in this topic

sfilosa wrote:

Regarding "Trimmed" comic books, they shouldn't even be label with a purple label. Restoration implies trying to "bring something back to its original state". Trimming is "Removing" something that was there from the beginning. All "Trimmed" books should be given a Blue "Universal" label with a "FAIR" or less Graded. REMEMBER, part of the book is missing, regardless if it was done on purpose.

Wow, that is a rather impractical position to stake out. If part of the book is missing, it is no better than Fair? Hmmm, I don't think it is that black and white. What if a staple is missing? That is Fair? What if there's a corner missing or a chunk out? Automatically Fair again?

Hey, I know, do you have any books that have any Marvel chipping?

I'd like to buy a bunch of your Fair condition books please! Send me a PM asap!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Actually, I don't have any books with Marvel chipping (but I have a few Atlas books with Marvel tears). The difference with Marvel chipping is it happened during the manufacturing process and therefore in CGC eyes, it does not diminish the grade as much as if it happened after the manufacturing process (i.e. normal wear and tear). I don't agree with this as in both cases the "eye appeal" is lowered, but that's why I always want to see scans.

I'm not really saying that a "trimmed" book would have to be Fair, but maybe it couldn't rate any higher than Good. My real point was, HOW COULD IT BE CALLED RESTORATION. No one has tried to restore the book, they have removed the unwanted part. Yes, the "eye appeal" is better, but PART OF THE BOOK IS GONE (never to be seen again). But the real fact is the book is now INCOMPLETE. If I tore the overhang off or cut it off with a sharp object, the end result is the same. But if I tore it off, and it looked very jagged and uneven, would the book be a Universal Blue Book (mostly likely Good or less), or is it a Purple book?

Actually, I don't have any books with Marvel chipping (but I have a few Atlas books with Marvel tears). The difference with Marvel chipping is it happened during the manufacturing process and therefore in CGC eyes, it does not diminish the grade as much as if it happened after the manufacturing process (i.e. normal wear and tear).

What makes you say this? I've seen otherwise NM Silver Marvels with chipping get grades like 6.5, 7.0, and 7.5.

I based my statement on this statement from a thread last week:

Re: Marvel chipping

2 yrs ago, Stv Borock publicly stated at a grading seminar at San Diego comicon that Cgc does NOT deduct many points for Marvel chips as it was natural for silver Marvels to come off the presses with such defects. That is why u can see ASM #1 with 3 inches of chipping on the right edge still cgc 8.0 or 8.5. This is for copies where the spine is Overstreet VF.

It the same logic as Miscuts, Printer Creases, Distribution Ink, Arrival Dates, etc.

If it happened in the manufacturing/distribution process, any effect on the grade would be less than if it happen after distribution (after it was sold).

Am I wrong?

My real point was, HOW COULD IT BE CALLED RESTORATION. No one has tried to restore the book, they have removed the unwanted part.

That is an asect of restoration that is not always understood. Restoration doesn;t just mean something added to the book. A good way to think about it is to substitute the word "modified" for "restored".

How about this:

Have any of you sent a book in to CGC and knew for certain it did not have any work done on it and received a "restored" grade??

You bought the book years ago, put it away and "POW", it's now color touched???

Happened to me once, just once, but I lost the war on that one. They make errors, we all do. There are restored books floating around with clean labels, just as there are unrestored books with "restored" labels on them, hopefully they balance out.

There is not one right answer for this, just a lot of challeging ones.....

trimming is restoring. Because the attempt is to 'restore' the clean straight edge" so it looks newsstand mint again and sell for 9.9 prices. Same as all restoration that attempts to 'restore' a comic to it's original appearance.

An accidental drop of paint on a cover would not be restoration because of the intent, or lack of. This cant be compared to color touch just because both involve paint. (Actually color touch would be markers, right?) And color touches are INTENTIALLY done ONLY to those areas where damage has marred the original look of the cover...and with the pupose again of 'restoring' the original color/look of the area to the way lt came off the presses. A splash of paint would be treated the same in grading as a splash of marinara sauce (which Ive don eplenty of times.)

AND--- I dont think Marvels came off the presses with those Marvel chips...otherwise why teh expression "pre-Marvel chipping??" The cutting device at the printers damaged the covers as it cut them in such a way as to make them eventually form those rips....

Comic book dealers are in the same species category as lawyers, used car salesmen, and politicians. I might add it's altogether separate from the human race smile.gif.

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

When Lighthouse and Clobberintime get here.......you might want to hide for a while. shy.gifshocked.gif

You know... I usually do a search for my username when I first log in each day just to see who's talking smack, but I hadn't for the past few days...

It's a shame I missed a welcome opportunity to ream someone a new one so bad their next session bent over the couch would be like laying a hotdog in a hallway...

Oh well... I'm off to Canada with the wife for the weekend... Bug, I give you full permission to fill in for me should anyone need the wrath of the 'House... cool.gifcool.gif