• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer ethics

29 posts in this topic

If you had a book that you had paid to have restored, and CGC slipped up and gave it a universal label, what would you do? Sell it as unrestored or tell the truth?Would it depend upon the buyer? How would you feel about a third party doing this, as I know all us forum members would always take the path of rightiousness.

I would let it sit the way it is until I decide to sell it. I'd probably send it back in to see if they'd regrade it for free due to the fact they made the mistake. I'd have a real problem selling something like that to someone, doing so could out them a couple thousand dollars if it's a pricey book.

Brian

If I knew my book was restored I wouldn't submit it, unless of course it is an action #1 or something like that. If CGC slipped up, I would still disclose it because I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What type of restoration are you talking about? You said you paid to have it restored. Are you telling me that they missed piece replacements, tear seals, color touch ups, etc. or did you just have it "cleaned and pressed".

Okay,first off-This is an exercise in rhetoric. the book being discussed does not exist. I have yet to submit any books to CGC. I own several restored books as I think they are a bargin in todays market.Nor is this thread aimed at any one dealer so all you Hammer haters post your own thread. This ask a simple question- If CGC screwed up and handed you a potential jackpot, would you thank the god of comics and sell or pass up that long awaited trip to the South Pacific. Let us pretend The book in question is Showcase 4 and it had minor repairs by the top resto studio in the country. goodevil.gifstooges.gifmakepoint.gif

Last year, Cgc was grading comics all night long due to overwhelming demand especially after big comicons. Would be difficult to grade consistently after midnight. They have their infrared scanners to pick up color touch on the cover but sometimes they err. e.g. Creator's signature on front cover or production ink overspray. cool.gif

If you had a book that you had paid to have restored, and CGC slipped up and gave it a universal label, what would you do? Sell it as unrestored or tell the truth?Would it depend upon the buyer? How would you feel about a third party doing this, as I know all us forum members would always take the path of rightiousness.

I would sell it as unrestored, then after the sale went through and I actully had the cash, I would tell the buyer the truth. See? You can have your cake and eat it too! grin.gif

But Seriosuly - I would call CGC, tell them the problem, and arrange for them to take whatever corrective measures via reholdering or relabeling as needed.

Isn't there a place on the submission form for notes on the book? If you had it restored, you should tell CGC what was done and by whom. Include a copy of the restorer's notes.

If someone submits it without disclosure, he's already halfway to deception, so I'd think he'd take the blue label and run.

Now if you did all that and it still got blue, I'd wonder if the book got switched or the restorer lied about doing any work.

-- Joanna

Here's what you do: Put the book up for auction, and give FULL DISCLOSURE. Either someone will pay a little more for a "CGC mistake", or a few people who are LESS "righteous" than WE are will start a "bidding war"( knowing they can FLIP it for big $$). Personally, I'd keep the book. What I definately WOULDN'T do, is "crack the case". What's the point?

First of all, if this is professional restoration and CGC misses it, THEN WERE ALL SCREWED. If you are talking about color touches or piece replacement I have to believe they are going to see it. ESPECIALLY if it is an expensive comic book.

The two restoration items I could see CGC missing is "cleaned and pressed" (which I don't believe should be restoration anyway) and "trimming" (because they might not notice if it is done perfectly plus it could just look like a miscut). As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that in one of Mark Wilson old catalogs (ten years ago), he flat out says that he didn't consider "cleaned and pressed" restoration, and therefore didn't note that on the books in the catalog. If I'm incorrect, I apologize in advance.

Regarding "Trimmed" comic books, they shouldn't even be label with a purple label. Restoration implies trying to "bring something back to its original state". Trimming is "Removing" something that was there from the beginning. All "Trimmed" books should be given a Blue "Universal" label with a "FAIR" or less Graded. REMEMBER, part of the book is missing, regardless if it was done on purpose.

I have read post on these forums about the difference that a "color touch" is restoration, and "scribbling/writing" post distribution is not (and usually has very little effect on the grade). The logic is that the color touch was done on purpose to improve the appearance. So using that logic, if I happen to spill a tiny bit of paint on the book, unintentionally, that wouldn't be restoration.

I believe people are hung up on restoration way to much. Quite simply, if anybody put much thought into, there are ways to "restore" a book without really restoring a book (ir you know what I mean). On the other hand, there isn't a way to hide a "rebuilt" book (i.e. pieces replaced, tears sealed, major color touches, etc.)

The bad reputation restored books have in todays market place is solely because of the "BUY THE LABEL NOT THE BOOK" mentality that is out there. 893blahblah.gif

Comic book dealers are in the same species category as lawyers, used car salesmen, and politicians. I might add it's altogether separate from the human race smile.gif.

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

When Lighthouse and Clobberintime get here.......you might want to hide for a while. shy.gifshocked.gif

Taking a stack of funny books, some cookies and a glass of

ice cold milk and getting outta da way......

main feature bout or just the ham and eggers??? makepoint.gif