• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kirby ST ann #2 cover recreation on the bay

14 posts in this topic

ST ANN #2

And at $20k opening price screwy.gif I am totally shocked that no one has bid on it. stooges.gif

Chris

I'd buy that for 20K...if I was on crack!

And if the seller put about $16K worth of crack in the package along with the art... makepoint.gif

Chris

Going out on a limb, this doesn't look legit to me. The line quality just looks wrong, although its hard to tell with that stupid zoom feature. If Kirby really did this one, its from the 80s when his eyesight and drawing skills were failing. I love his work more than anyone's, but its a fact he lost facility later in life as his health worsened. "Guaranteed Esate Seal" notwithstanding, it shouldn't be too hard to authenticate for any interested parties since I don't think his kids or Evanier would be difficult to reach to corroborate.

And even if it was legit and I had that kind of dough, I'd buy an original SA page of his, not a recreation. Seller is screwy.gif

I gotta check but it coulda been from as late as the early 90's when he was commissioned with ayers to re-do all those classic covers that were in the Sotheby' auction.

Most of those were lightboxed at best.

Chris

I gotta check but it coulda been from as late as the early 90's when he was commissioned with ayers to re-do all those classic covers that were in the Sotheby' auction.

Most of those were lightboxed at best.

Chris

If you find out the provenance, I'd love to know.

I'm curious about the seller's statement that the original is known to be destroyed, since typically there are at least rumors of covers of this era and stature still existing. Is there a relative consensus out there that this particular original was destroyed?

I'm curious about the seller's statement that the original is known to be destroyed, since typically there are at least rumors of covers of this era and stature still existing. Is there a relative consensus out there that this particular original was destroyed?

I might have been destroyed...but no one knews that for sure.

The "original art has been destroyed" sounds a hell of alot like something the guy who sold it to this guy would have said as a selling point. yay.gif

(As Art Dealer) "I tell you, my friend, this is the only piece youse is ever gonna find....Da original done been burned in the fire that killed my sainted aunt and those orphans she was takin care of.....at $20k youse is robbin me blind."

stooges.gif

And I hear the art was only driven on sundays by a little old lady who took it to church and back....

Chris