• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting comics and real life...

22 posts in this topic

to everyone

life sometimes catchs you by surprise, but the majority of times you still can plan and build projects safely. So, when collecting comics and planning some important/serious projects such as a wedding, buying a house/car, having a baby, etc... how does one affects the other?!

do you keep on buying reguraly?! start cutting some comics bidget $$$?! stop at all for some time?!

and how do you cope with your decision?!

regards

to everyone

life sometimes catchs you by surprise, but the majority of times you still can plan and build projects safely. So, when collecting comics and planning some important/serious projects such as a wedding, buying a house/car, having a baby, etc... how does one affects the other?!

do you keep on buying reguraly?! start cutting some comics bidget $$$?! stop at all for some time?!

regards

Easy... Don't get married, don't have kids, live with your folks until you retire, and ride your bike everywhere. TA-DA! Otherwise moderation is the key (hmmm... for us boozehounds, does that sound familar?) and if you're doing all the above you've listed, comics won't seem so important as you might think at the moment. I just stop for a long time, and then pick back up when the time and money allows.

Back in 2003, my department was in grave danger of being laid off. I immediately lost all interest in comics. I didn't get fired, and interest has come back. But it's funny to note that when life becomes a priority, your hobbies take a backseat.

Comics are way after secondary in my book. You have got to take care of family first. (and thats just not food, shelter, clothing)

Kids and wife need to have fun, family vacations, movies all that stuff.

Spending $40 on movie and popcorn/cokes for a 2 hours movie is 100% better then $40.00 on any book

Back in 2003, my department was in grave danger of being laid off. I immediately lost all interest in comics. I didn't get fired, and interest has come back. But it's funny to note that when life becomes a priority, your hobbies take a backseat.

Last year, when I had a big downturn in my business....I sold $10G in comics to make up some of the difference in loss of income. I barely thought twice about it. When I saw my wife come home from working a full day five days a week, I didn't hesitate for a moment. I'm not trying to say I'm a prince,....just that the importance of collecting took on a real-world perspective when dealing with other real-life issues.

Red

Kids, family, wife and good friends always come first, in that order.

Everything else is temporary.

If I had to for whatever reason, I would dump my collection in a heartbeat.

Kids, family, wife and good friends always come first, in that order.

Everything else is temporary.

If I had to for whatever reason, I would dump my collection in a heartbeat.

Ive done it before and may do it again soon. Looking to buy a much bigger house atm smile.gif

Last year, when I had a big downturn in my business....I sold $10G in comics to make up some of the difference in loss of income. I barely thought twice about it. When I saw my wife come home from working a full day five days a week, I didn't hesitate for a moment. I'm not trying to say I'm a prince,....just that the importance of collecting took on a real-world perspective when dealing with other real-life issues.

Red

...if she really loved you she would have gotten a second job so you wouldn't have had to sell your books,....7-11 is always looking for good people and they are very flexible with work hours,...

Red

...if she really loved you she would have gotten a second job so you wouldn't have had to sell your books,....7-11 is always looking for good people and they are very flexible with work hours,...

27_laughing.gif

My daughter and my wife are my priority that's it.

I've sold my collection before and i would do it again in a second if I needed to. After the first sell it's easy.

if it wasnt for those comics i wouldnt have been able to do what i do now.

Thats why I always go back into comics.

CGC has made it 1000x better for me because with those cases and grades tagged at the top my books are as liquid as cash.

My career ambitions come first, and I fit everything else in whenever I can. Don't have kids or a Wife, as they would be holding me back at this point, and every girl I date knows the score, including my current GF. Maybe that dosen't sound great, but it suits me just fine.

This hobby is a personal escape when I have the time.

Red

You know what....she did. She got a part time job at a winery working the tasting bar. But it turned out to be so much fun that I recently joined the staff too! What a hoot!

Oh, and she never brought up the subject of my selling anything.....she's basically let me do as I wished...which made it even easier for me to let them go.

to everyone

regards

I think it is all about priorities and money management. When other priorities come up, you have to cut back on comics, or even sell some. Everything taken care of, spend more on comics (if you have the desire). Of course credit is always an option. Maybe you need more cash but don't want to sell your comics, or you have a real desire to buy some but your money has been spent elsewhere. If credit is used wisely it can get you through these times. Currently my priorities have changed drastically. Not unlike POV, my musical interests came back with a vengeance and all my former "comic money" is now being spent there. I'm going to Hawaii next week so that is another priority taking funds away from comics. You just have to find a balance that suits your needs. The balance will also constantly change, so just roll with the changes and don't second guess your decisions. Everyone is different so I really wouldn't take advice from others on this subject. Do what is right for you and keep your fingers 893crossfingers-thumb.gif that it works out for the best.