• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joey Q on Thor

19 posts in this topic

NRAMA: THOR. Best suited for ongoing solo, limited series, or cast member?

JQ: All of the above.

NRAMA: Why it worked/didn’t work in the past:

JQ: Thor is an odd character within the context of the Marvel Universe, in many ways his creation, his origin didn’t follow the Marvel method so to speak. In some ways I always found it hard to explain the presence of a God walking through the Marvel Universe. But, Thor was always a very cool character to me as a kid and I always loved his look and the badass hammer.

Over the years I think a lot of damage was done to Thor with too many changes to the core of the character. Of course I understand while all of this was done, it was with the best of intentions because we all want to see a healthy Thor title that kicks major butt.

NRAMA: What it would need to work today?

JQ: I think it’s going to take some work. You need to sprinkle a bit of the old school Thor into a new model. You need to make him relatable because a God is a bit difficult for someone to completely understand and project himself or herself into unless there’s something of ourselves that we see within that character. I also believe the world of Asgard and the Asgardians themselves are ripe for a new interpretation and look.

NRAMA: Odds of seeing a new starring project in the next 2 years:

JQ: 80%

In some ways I always found it hard to explain the presence of a God walking through the Marvel Universe.

That is the main problem with Modern Marvel's - too many fanboys running the ship and trying to correct perceived "logic problems" their lifetime fandom has infected them with.

Some guy picks up a Thor comic, I doubt the first thing running through his head is "OMFG, a GOD in the Marvel Universe.. I must burn this book and then kill myself!!".

In some ways I always found it hard to explain the presence of a God walking through the Marvel Universe.

That is the main problem with Modern Marvel's - too many fanboys running the ship and trying to correct perceived "logic problems" their lifetime fandom has infected them with.

Some guy picks up a Thor comic, I doubt the first thing running through his head is "OMFG, a GOD in the Marvel Universe.. I must burn this book and then kill myself!!".

agree.

They can accept a man who can burn like a fire or one with claws and unbreakable skeleton or the power of a spider but they cant accept a God on earth?

Rubish

Over the years I think a lot of damage was done to Thor with too many changes to the core of the character. Of course I understand while all of this was done, it was with the best of intentions because we all want to see a healthy Thor title that kicks major butt.

I actually agree with this statement. As much as Simonson's run is considered a classic, I do think he changed the character too much. I've always disliked the elimination of the Don Blake persona and the title focused too much on Asgard and less on Thor's interaction with Earth.

DeFalco tried to ground the character back to Earth after Simonson left but his efforts really were pretty lame. Then Thunderstrike showed up and the title was unreadable until Ellis came in at the end of the original run...

I can't speak to his rebooted title because at that point I didn't care...

Jim

" I always found it hard to explain the presence of a God walking through the Marvel Universe. "

Note to Joey Q:

Its a fake world, its comics. Relax, none of us expect to see a REAL Thor or a REAL man inside an Iron Man suit.

As a long time Thor fan, and someone who thinks the Simonson Thor run was one of the best runs in comic history........

I couldn't be less enthused by that interview..

Exactly how I feel. This guy is the biggest out of touch insufficiently_thoughtful_person that has ever graced Marvel management. Maybe its time to get a new Editor-in-Chief that can handle the return of a character like Thor. I can't think of one character that has more depth and rich history to build off of yet this bozo is struggling with this somehow? I wonder what Stan Lee's reaction would be if he read (I'm betting he did) this latest annoying interview from Joe Q. Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif What a tool.

I actually agree with this statement. As much as Simonson's run is considered a classic, I do think he changed the character too much.

The Simonson run was a blend of almost every major classic tale from Kirby's original work. The Destroyer, the age old Surtur battle, the struggle with Loki, Hela, Odin's beginnings, etc. The fact that he was able to incorporate all of the above in story lines together and over 15+ issues long was nothing short of brilliant. Its seems like every project at Marvel these days is a feable attempt to try and mimix this format. The only recent run that comes to mind that really stands out is Brubaker's Captain America work.

As a long time Thor fan, and someone who thinks the Simonson Thor run was one of the best runs in comic history........

I couldn't be less enthused by that interview..

Exactly how I feel. This guy is the biggest out of touch insufficiently_thoughtful_person that has ever graced Marvel management. Maybe its time to get a new Editor-in-Chief that can handle the return of a character like Thor. I can't think of one character that has more depth and rich history to build off of yet this bozo is struggling with this somehow? I wonder what Stan Lee's reaction would be if he read (I'm betting he did) this latest annoying interview from Joe Q. Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif What a tool.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

These clowns running Marvel gotta go. The sooner the better.

Its seems like every project at Marvel these days is a feable attempt to try and mimix this format. The only recent run that comes to mind that really stands out is Brubaker's Captain America work.

I think you're giving Marvel way too much credit. I don't think they're purposely trying to mimic anything. I bet it's a bunch of fanboys in a room, bong in hand, saying something like this...

"I just read the Essentials and...man...that Gwen Stacy was smokin' hot before she died!"

"Yeah...I'd hit it...you'd think all of Peter's pals would have wanted a piece of that.."

"You got that right...even Norman Osborne must have gone tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY when he saw her roll in!"

"Hummmm..."

OR

"Man...remember when the Thing went to BattleWorld and fought all those badassed freaks?"

"Yeah Dude...those were some pretty righteous stories..."

"I bet it would have been even cooler if the Hulk was there..."

"Hummmm..."

I don't think it goes much farther than that... frustrated.gif

Jim

I think you're giving Marvel way too much credit. I don't think they're purposely trying to mimic anything. I bet it's a bunch of fanboys in a room, bong in hand, saying something like this...

"I just read the Essentials and...man...that Gwen Stacy was smokin' hot before she died!"

"Yeah...I'd hit it...you'd think all of Peter's pals would have wanted a piece of that.."

"You got that right...even Norman Osborne must have gone tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY when he saw her roll in!"

"Hummmm..."

OR

"Man...remember when the Thing went to BattleWorld and fought all those badassed freaks?"

"Yeah Dude...those were some pretty righteous stories..."

"I bet it would have been even cooler if the Hulk was there..."

"Hummmm..."

I don't think it goes much farther than that... frustrated.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif But soooo true thumbsup2.gif

Note to Joey Q:

Its a fake world, its comics. Relax, none of us expect to see a REAL Thor or a REAL man inside an Iron Man suit.

Apparently he does...and he wants it to fit into his worldview and apparently limited frame of understanding.

it's strange to have a god on the pages of marvel....but we're also gonna put out the Annihilation storyline...with gods, super powerful aliens and galactic conquest...also things that don't happen in the 'real' world.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a long time Thor fan, I am thoroughly disgusted with Joey Q. Thor is one of the greatest all time characters (at least the "Marvelized" character is).

JQ: Thor is an odd character within the context of the Marvel Universe, in many ways his creation, his origin didn’t follow the Marvel method so to speak. In some ways I always found it hard to explain the presence of a God walking through the Marvel Universe. But, Thor was always a very cool character to me as a kid and I always loved his look and the badass hammer.

As oppose to dudes with spider powers, flying armor, turning big and green, magick users, and guys with claws? And don't we have Hercules and Gilgamesh in the Avengers at one point or another? C'mon...

The last series was the best IMHO and shouldn't have been cancelled. It's the first time we actually had people worshippping Thor as a god and not just a costumed heroe. A really gutsy move IMHO. I don't think it was a story that could have been told 10 years ago. Especially since comics tend to stay away from religious controversy (any time a god-like character is shown they almost always say something like "But there is one even higher than me" ) And I think it was one of the best ending to a series I've seen.

JQ: I think it’s going to take some work. You need to sprinkle a bit of the old school Thor into a new model. You need to make him relatable because a God is a bit difficult for someone to completely understand and project himself or herself into unless there’s something of ourselves that we see within that character. I also believe the world of Asgard and the Asgardians themselves are ripe for a new interpretation and look.

How's this...get a good writer and a good artist. Sounds simple to me. 27_laughing.gif

As oppose to dudes with spider powers, flying armor, turning big and green, magick users, and guys with claws? And don't we have Hercules and Gilgamesh in the Avengers at one point or another? C'mon...

The last series was the best IMHO and shouldn't have been cancelled. It's the first time we actually had people worshippping Thor as a god and not just a costumed heroe. A really gutsy move IMHO. I don't think it was a story that could have been told 10 years ago. Especially since comics tend to stay away from religious controversy (any time a god-like character is shown they almost always say something like "But there is one even higher than me" ) And I think it was one of the best ending to a series I've seen.

Agreed on both. Seems we have Ares wandering around the Marvel Universe now too, and rumor has it he will be on the Avengers or another team soon. insane.gif

And I really liked Jurgens run that you refer to. Good stuff thumbsup2.gif

Personally other the brillant Simonson run, I thought Dan Jurgens did a great job with Thor in his last 30 issues or so. He got screwed in the end, but having his run cut short because of Avengers Dissembled stuff. . I really enjoyed the religion/god aspect that Jurgens had going at the end. If only the art would have been better. Thor with the Odin Force was a very brave move by Jurgens its a shame Marvel couldnt give him more time.

Jurgens was well ahead of his time.

After reading Thor for years since the early 80s Only Jurgens and Simonson ever did Thor proper credit. The rest were pretenders to the Throne. (Not counting Lee/Kirby Stuff.)

Personally other the brillant Simonson run, I thought Dan Jurgens did a great job with Thor in his last 30 issues or so. He got screwed in the end, but having his run cut short because of Avengers Dissembled stuff. . I really enjoyed the religion/god aspect that Jurgens had going at the end. If only the art would have been better. Thor with the Odin Force was a very brave move by Jurgens its a shame Marvel couldnt give him more time.

Jurgens was well ahead of his time.

After reading Thor for years since the early 80s Only Jurgens and Simonson ever did Thor proper credit. The rest were pretenders to the Throne. (Not counting Lee/Kirby Stuff.)

Pollard's work was pretty good as well.