• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Gordon #36 Whitman variation

16 posts in this topic

I picked up both of these issues during a trip to a comic show recently. Do you see the difference?

Bought them from two different dealers and didn't notice they were different until I had them side-by-side. I don't often end up with two copies of the same Whitman comic but I found and bought the nicer condition issue after I had already gotten the first one.

Is this a common variation in Whitman comics? I wonder if one version is more common than the other?

fg36white.jpg

fg36yellow.jpg

Sorry, the brighter colors are just due to a difference in the bags. The "duller" looking one is inside a mylar that is inside a poly bag. The other is just inside a mylar and it is the brighter looking of the two. Without bags they look about the same brightness.

The white one is the one that was in 3 packs, the yellow one was on the newstand. Its sort of like the Marvel books from the early 80s with the diamond price box vs. the square.

After more comparison, I have to agree with you somewhat on the brightness comment. I'd say that the issue with the yellow Whitman logo has more of a yellowish tinge to all of the white areas. The white Whitman logo issue has very bright whites.

That's good to know. Are the Whitman issues from the 3-packs for most issues usually the same color as the newstand version? Or is it a rule that there were always the yellow/white versions if there were the two sources for an issue?

you guys (and gals) in here really love your whitman variants dont you. i really dont see the interest in them though, and their not as difficult to find as you might think. i have quite a few in my collection. im throwing my 2 cents in here with a scan. enjoy.

174716-Save0002.jpg.b319a8c681fdffbf07c4ff31a6d99ae6.jpg

Actually I think this issue is available ONLY as a Whitman. OPG says #28 on were published by Whitman.

Has there been a lot of other posts about Whitman "variants"? I think typical Whitman variants refer to the same issue being published by, say, DC, and then being published by Whitman with a Whitman logo.

Also I just noticed that #s 31-33 are listed as a Whitman 3-pack and there is a price for the 3-pack. Does that indicate that those are the only Flash Gordon issues that OPG believes came from a 3-pack?

Also I just noticed that #s 31-33 are listed as a Whitman 3-pack and there is a price for the 3-pack. Does that indicate that those are the only Flash Gordon issues that OPG believes came from a 3-pack?

I read it as #31-33 were available together in a 3-pack vs. as one of three different Whitman issues.

I'm sure other issues made it into 3-packs as practically the whole later Whitman inventory was available in this format. In fact some of the last issues of titles, not sure that Flash is one of them, are available only in the 3-packs and never made to the racks.

Jim

I would imagine other FG issues made it into 3-packs too. For instance, this #36 with the yellow logo is from a 3-pack per DonutMan's comment.

So why isn't that info in OPG about other issues in 3-packs? This must be new data that is appearing in OPG in recent years and perhaps the editors haven't yet obtained info about which issues were in 3-packs to enable them to add those annotations.

I think you may have misread my post. I believe Overstreet was spotlighting the case that there were 3-packs which contained Flash Gordon #31-33 as part of one package. The price they show is for an unopened 3-pack containing these issues.

Jim

No, I got that. It's perfectly clear that OPG is spotlighting that there are three FG issues in a 3-pack, and I understood your point.

What I'm puzzled about is why there aren't a few other 3-packs listed in OPG for some of the other FG issues published by Whitman. For instance, a 3-pack listing #34, #35, and #36 all in the same pack... I'd guess that's what might have been in a 3-pack that contained my #36. See what I mean?

I think we're both on the same page, but we're being just unclear enough that we're not getting through to each other well. smile.gif

I'm think that there weren't any other 3-books for one title (at least for Flash). If there were, I'd expect Overstreet to highlight them as well. It's possible that your Flash #36 was bundled in a 3-pack with Uncle Scrooge and Buck Rogers comics. grin.gif

Jim