• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicest Hulk 181 7.5 I've Ever Seen

31 posts in this topic

Rick,

Book with strong cover colors like this (unless the colors have been altered by the scanner? looks a little unnatural) just embarass structurally better books when held side by side.

You'd probably be quite happy with that for $400. Unless you're collecting labels tongue.gif

"The cover is beautiful, but I wouldn't pay that much for a mid grade copy. "

........you only have cgc's word that it is mid grade...............from what i can see from the scan that book looks like a VF copy and if it is would be a steal at $400................ wink.gif

Very Fine Minus is high grade, not low or mid grade. I've seen a lot of great-looking VF- books, including this one. Here's how I've always categorized low/mid/hi grade:

Mint, Near Mint, Very Fine = high grade

Fine, Very Good = mid grade

Good, Fair, Poor = low grade

......i guess this is a prime example of trusting in cgc's grading, there may well be faults we can't see on the cover...........

.........if this was a raw book i bet it would have sold for more based just on the front cover scan......................

.........a prime reason why i don't buy raw high dollar books from ebay, just based on a cover scan........i need to look through the book myself to justify spending the dollars...........you never know whats lurking on the back or inside............... shocked.gif

Ummm...how about high/mid grade! I dunno, when you wanna get specific, you use the standard grades, not the unpicky low/mid/high grading categories. Low/mid/high is what I use when I'm talking to my mom or somebody else who doesn't collect comics.

I truly feel that anyone spending big bucks on a raw, supposedly high-grade Key issue is a sucker (my apologies to Scottish!). CGC is so prevalent and prices are so high, that I laugh each time I see a "NM+ Hulk 181 - Can't wait for CGC, wife is telling me to sell, gotta move into a new house, can't take it with me..., etc." auctions.

It's all BS, and even myself, (Mr Anti-CGC for most books) never pays any real money for raw keys unless they're CGC'd.

..........one of the biggest plus's for cgc.......buying books online and getting them in the grade they were described in................. grin.gif

...............well except perhaps when you go above 9.4......... wink.gif

Grade is not really the sticking point for me. It's more the resto check, the insurance that the book is complete (MVS's anyone?) and lastly, that the book will at least be close to the stated grade.

I also buy the book, not the grade sometimes, and there are many CGC 5.0-7.5 books that look great but have issues that CGC deems severely grade-lowering. If it's cheap enough and looks real nice, then I'll take a stab at it.

.......when i'm looking for silver age stuff, i will always check out the stuff graded from 5.0-7.0 as it goes under most people's radars, the speculators stay away from it, and its where the real bargains are for cgc books.............. grin.gif

........same with bronze age around the 7.0-8.5 level...............