• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flea Market Finds -- Not Quite In CGC 10

21 posts in this topic

Found a couple of "beauties" at a recent flea market. Don't think they'll be finding their way to CGC anytime soon but they were dirt cheap so I bought them just for fun. The hunt for the comics is what makes collecting fun, regardless of the condition.

Post your images of anything you've bought cheaply just for fun at a flea market or garage sale recently. High grade comics bought from dealers or eBay etc need not apply. smile.gif

HouseOfSecrets92Small.jpg

No, the cover is not quite torn all the way in half. smile.gif

JimmyOlsen34Small.jpg

Actually not a bad looking copy to find. It is nearly the oldest JO issue in my collection, to boot!

The funny thing about flea markets in California is if you even manage to find comics at one usually they are priced at Wizard or OS guide and never less than that ;p. Even if the comics are in ragged condition somehow the sellers always manage to price it at NM.

Ahh the joys of collectibility spreading to the mainstream populace. 893frustrated.gif

High grade comics bought from dealers or eBay etc need not apply.

Damn you low grade elitists. mad.gif893censored-thumb.gifgrin.gif

High grade comics bought from dealers or eBay etc need not apply.

Damn you low grade elitists. mad.gif893censored-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Darn right! ANYONE can go out and find a super high grade book...they are ALL OVER ebay. But trying to find that just right G-VG that has the good cover colors and nice eye appeal and gloss, even though gently kissed with multiple color breaking cover creases, lovingly folded in thirds lengthwise, with staples caressing the perfect amount of paper to JUST keep the cover from being detached, while torn the absolute ideal length and angle . I tell you...it is an ordeal to seek such a thing.

Darn right! ANYONE can go out and find a super high grade book...they are ALL OVER ebay. But trying to find that just right G-VG that has the good cover colors and nice eye appeal and gloss, even though gently kissed with multiple color breaking cover creases, lovingly folded in thirds lengthwise, with staples caressing the perfect amount of paper to JUST keep the cover from being detached, while torn the absolute ideal length and angle . I tell you...it is an ordeal to seek such a thing.

Well then, I have quite a list of "easy" high grades for you to find for me. smirk.gif

And why so tough? If you're looking for that "perfect G/VG", just buy a VG and rip the top corner, or fold it in half. Voila! acclaim.gif

What? You are advocating DESTORATION!!!???

Are you trying to say DETERIORATION????????? C'mon POV, say it with me now....DE..TE.RIO..RATION.....

Are you trying to say DETERIORATION????????? C'mon POV, say it with me now....DE..TE.RIO..RATION.....

Andrew, I think he does it deliberately now just to annoy us grin.gif

I'm with pov on this one-- I really hope everyone here would DISCLOSE that your apparent G/VG was not in its true form-- it was instead a faux wannabe Beat-to-Hell, a VG copy ALTERED to APPEAR to be something it was not! You never know, the next dog-eared copy you come across might actually be a Mint that has secretly been DEGRADED just to qualify for posting on this thread. In fact, I think CGC should start giving EVERY BOOK in 9.9 or less a PURPLE LABEL, since it has been ALTERED from its original state! Or maybe everything should get a perfect 10.0 grade (its true, original state), with the APPARENT, ALTERED grade in small font on the back of the slab. 893whatthe.gif

rantpost.gif

Next, we ought to...

boo.gif

:SLAP!:

...oh...thanks... I needed that...ok... right-o, then

never mind

Regards,

Low-Grade-Elitist #2

No - Destoration was what I meant - you know - the opposite of Restoration? I thought it was a clever pun. frown.gif

I actually am an excellent speller - I just tend to be a "look at the keyboard" typist. I can type about 50 words per minute as long as I am keeping my eyes glues to the keyboard. Then I have to go back and read and that's when I miss the typos. 893frustrated.gif

::edited to add:: I really thought someone would pick up on the restoration/destoration thing! insane.gif

No - Destoration was what I meant - you know - the opposite of Restoration? I thought it was a clever pun.

Dag-nabbit...pov... crazy.gif...now when you spell it right we think it's wrong... insane.gif...this sounds like the makings of a new Twilight Zone episode...sorta like that one where people from another dimension would place your household items in a differant place than where you left them...and you would rack your brains trying to find that item... 893whatthe.gif

Now I am utterly confused.. rantpost.gif.

household items in a differant place than where you left them

We just entered a new T-Zone dimension for you are about to have your spelling corrected by Pov..."different", not "differant". (Unless "differant" is a contrary insect!) grin.gif

makepoint.gif

household items in a differant place than where you left them

We just entered a new T-Zone dimension for you are about to have your spelling corrected by Pov..."different", not "differant". (Unless "differant" is a contrary insect!) grin.gif

makepoint.gif

I must say POV that I take extra care with my posts because I know one day you are going to get me. stooges.gif

Dagnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabit.