• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 244....a steal?

7 posts in this topic

im not a big fan of the x-men, but get a kick outta this. my brother just got back from a local card & comic shop a few blocks down with this in his hands. jubilees first appearance in 244....it was wall-marked at 15....my bro got him down to 8 bucks...thats canadian dollars by the way....so its around 5 american. not bad eh. it looks to be in about NM- to NM shape. geeze, old cardshop owners know absolutely nothing about comics. insane.gif

174771-Save0004.jpg.9b40c31b239aa7accc2638d29ee03c08.jpg

If your bro is happy with the book, then it was a good deal. But talking strictly price-wise, 80's books are totally immovable unless you have a shop and customers looking to fill in runs. Shop owners are not clueless, and if he could have gotten more for the book, he would. If I had a pile of these, I would be content to move them at $3 a piece. And I'm also in T.O, so I'm talking Canadian $$$$.

thats not neccesarily true knight. 80's comics may not be #1 on your list but think of the scenario. my bro is only 18. the 80's to him were just a blur. hes not looking to fill in runs, hes looking to get some prime reading material and for the first time read books me or you may have read many times over. think of the sheer number of kids out there who are getting fed up with the pretty bland stuff on the market nowadays who will eventually turn to 70's and 80's comics as their primary reading sources. their may be many copies available now, but dont be surprised if that 3 dollars your willing to make now might be 30 or 40 bucks somewhere down the line....and i dont mean 20 yrs either. rantpost.gif

thats not neccesarily true knight. 80's comics may not be #1 on your list

I'm not bagging on 80's books. I'm only 24 which means I grew up with them. I may have moved into collecting Silver/Early bronze, but I haven't forgotten the books I grew up with, and I still love them.

But here's the realistic fact: Most 80's books, especially the mainstream ones, are not going to hold long term value, and are definetly NOT investments. Again, I love 80's books, and I wish they had more potential, but they don't. There are Hundreds of thousands of copies of these books, and a good majority are still in newstand condition. It's that fact alone that will keep them in the $$$ doghouse. The reason you may not see tons of them is because they're are sitting in over-stock wharehouses, and are not being touched because it just isn't worth moving them. If some hype comes along and raises market value on this to $30(wouldn't hold my breath) all these storages of issues will come out, demand will be met, and prices will go down. This has nothing to do with preferences, it's just fact.

But the bottom line in this case is that your bro is happy, and if buying that book made him happy, then it was a good deal.

have to agree with andrew on this one... most of the 80s x-men are easy to come by in high grade as well... but again, if this is a book that your brother is happy with then it's a GREAT deal because he got a book he wanted. I love the 80s X-Men by the way...

alright, you make some strong arguements there knight and im not gonna doubt you. im a silver age dc fanatic myself, and im only 26, and your absolutely right about the 80's stories being superb. i may have worded myself wrong before though.i meant that i hope both dc/marvels from the 70 and 80 have a resurgance...not neccesarily for the price outcomes, but for the future of this hobby.if the fad comics of today never cease to come and go the quality of stories will never need to improve because the books sell nonetheless....think maple leafs and ballard never putting any money into the team, because they sold out continueally win or lose.....not only will a huge shift to older, better comics cause a boom for late silver/early bronze age books, but itll finally push the bigwigs in charge of the companies to throw away the countless one-shots, holo-foil, non-continuous, depressingly-drawn and utterly horrendous stories out the window. and yes, my bro is happy as hell with his comic. thank you for asking. smile.gif

they're are sitting in over-stock wharehouses, and are not being touched because it just isn't worth moving them. If some hype comes along and raises market value on this to $30(wouldn't hold my breath) all these storages of issues will come out

So, some guy in 2020 is gonna' meet some guy who has a warehouse of 80's comics for sale - cheap.

The Mile High 19 collection. grin.gif

I myself need 80's comics to fill in some of my runs and am able to get them cheap. Recently bought a run of X-Men 231 - 250. Oddly enough, the 244 was missing in that run. So, I still need a copy.

Now I'll have to look for one for $3.00 because of this post. mad.gif