• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Action 56

32 posts in this topic

Seems like a straightforward grade, but the catch is that there is a subscription crease (or bend) that obviously does not break color. Sub crease is easily seen from an angle, but is hard to see at a straight on angle. In your opinion, how much does a sub crease affect grade?

Action56Front.jpg

Action56Back.jpg

Okay, first let me say that is a gorgeous freaking book, Zipper! hail.gif

With that said... I know many will disagree, but I just can't see a book making straight 6.0 with a subscription crease, no matter how light, as it's a defect that affects the pages and not only the cover(s). I would normally take the book down to 4.5 if it were a full color-breaking crease, but this one is subtle so I'll call the book a strong 5.5. Obviously it looks way better than the technical grade I'm giving it.

Very curious where others will come out on this one!

With that said... I know many will disagree, but I just can't see a book making straight 6.0 with a subscription crease, no matter how light, as it's a defect that affects the pages and not only the cover(s). I would normally take the book down to 4.5 if it were a full color-breaking crease, but this one is subtle so I'll call the book a strong 5.5. Obviously it looks way better than the technical grade I'm giving it.

DITTO

Beautiful book, but technically no better than a VG/FN usually and pushing FN-. No sub creases for a strict Fine. I have a few GA books like this, and they show very nicely.

You could probably charge more for it selling it, but it's a 5.5.

I just can't see a book making straight 6.0 with a subscription crease, no matter how light, as it's a defect that affects the pages and not only the cover(s). I would normally take the book down to 4.5 if it were a full color-breaking crease, but this one is subtle so I'll call the book a strong 5.5. Obviously it looks way better than the technical grade I'm giving it.

Checking the OSGG, interestingly, I can find no guidelines regarding sub creases. In the glossary there are separate entries for sub creases (ink is broken), and a sub fold (ink is not broken). So I guess this book would have a sub fold.

Further, I will note that it really doesn't affect the interior pages. The interior pages have no bend to them whatsoever. I presume the paper fibers have relaxed over the past 60 years, leaving only the mark of the bend on the coverstock, but no actual bend itself.

BTW, the dealer listed this book as a F+ with the notation of a slight sub crease.

I think I know where you bought this, as I remember seeing it thinking it was a nice book at an excellent price. I tend to agree with the others that the technical grade is a 5.5, but it certainly presents better. Nice cover too. Congrats!

I just can't see a book making straight 6.0 with a subscription crease, no matter how light, as it's a defect that affects the pages and not only the cover(s). I would normally take the book down to 4.5 if it were a full color-breaking crease, but this one is subtle so I'll call the book a strong 5.5. Obviously it looks way better than the technical grade I'm giving it.

Checking the OSGG, interestingly, I can find no guidelines regarding sub creases. In the glossary there are separate entries for sub creases (ink is broken), and a sub fold (ink is not broken). So I guess this book would have a sub fold.

Further, I will note that it really doesn't affect the interior pages. The interior pages have no bend to them whatsoever. I presume the paper fibers have relaxed over the past 60 years, leaving only the mark of the bend on the coverstock, but no actual bend itself.

BTW, the dealer listed this book as a F+ with the notation of a slight sub crease.

I think the dealer got it almost right grin.gif Although, I agree with all of my illustrious colleagues' points above, I have seen way too many nice books with sub-creases to adhere to the 4.5 technical grade for any book with a full-length cover crease. It doesn't make sense to automatically put this book among the collective POS 4.5's. We can all see the extent of the fold at the base of the back cover (note hump shown by dirt.) It's very subtle, but present. I wouldn't hesitate to give this book a straight FN 6.0 (even if it does look like that top staple has beened moved around some . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

I think I know where you bought this, as I remember seeing it thinking it was a nice book at an excellent price.

Well, let's just say the website price was not accurate. When I called, I was told the website price had not been updated yet (the new guide had just come out).

The new price was substantially more than the listed price, but I wrangled with them to bring it down a little. It's getting real tough finding these war covers, and dealers know it... hence, they are always well over "guide." As a buyer I can pay $100 more than I'd like to, or wait another year or two for one to become available. I've learned that GA collecting is a far cry from Silver or Bronze... where if you miss out on a book, just wait until tomorrow.

I wouldn't hesitate to give this book a straight FN 6.0 (even if it does look like that top staple has beened moved around some . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

If by 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif you are implying that there may have been some work on the book, I am always leery of that as well. However, I VERY closely examined the staples and the centerfold and I'm satisfied that the book has not been taken apart.

I think what happens is this...

GA books like this have a very thick, almost cardstock-like cover. The cover is not as flexible as a cover made from thinner paperstock. When the cover is opened and closed, it tends to wear against the staple rather than easily bend along the spine as does a book with flimsier paperstock. So, IMO, this is why you see a lot of GA books with staple tears and covers that are bit loose with enlarged staple holes.

I suppose pressing is always a possibility, but I'm satisfied this book hasn't been disassembled.

agree! no sub crease and wowza, sub crease still a little wowza.

In your opinion, how much does a sub crease affect grade?

Not at all if you send it to Matt Nelson first devil.gif

Actually I had a very similar Action 100 that got a FN+ from CGC. So I think that FN is a pretty reasonable ballpark for this one.

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I'd say either 6.0/6.5 for a CGC technical grade, but if I was giving an "eye appeal" grade I'd say 7.5 grin.gif

and hey divad, who said you could use me (thedude) as your avatar sumo.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to give this book a straight FN 6.0 (even if it does look like that top staple has beened moved around some . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

If by 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif you are implying that there may have been some work on the book, I am always leery of that as well. However, I VERY closely examined the staples and the centerfold and I'm satisfied that the book has not been taken apart.

I think what happens is this...

GA books like this have a very thick, almost cardstock-like cover. The cover is not as flexible as a cover made from thinner paperstock. When the cover is opened and closed, it tends to wear against the staple rather than easily bend along the spine as does a book with flimsier paperstock. So, IMO, this is why you see a lot of GA books with staple tears and covers that are bit loose with enlarged staple holes.

I suppose pressing is always a possibility, but I'm satisfied this book hasn't been disassembled.

Zip,

I agree with your analysis, and consequently, also agree with your "leeriness" (if that's a word . . . grin.gif

-D

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I'd say either 6.0/6.5 for a CGC technical grade, but if I was giving an "eye appeal" grade I'd say 7.5 grin.gif

and hey divad, who said you could use me (thedude) as your avatar sumo.gif

hail.gif Appropriately enough, I put The Dude up on 4/20, and haven't switched back yet wink.gif

Although, I think that's what I'd look like if I were single . . . 27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif