• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spencer Beck's private auction

38 posts in this topic

Are all these pieces coming from the same collection? Where is Spencer finding all this primo stuff from? Does anyone know what the ASM 100 cvr actually sold for?

Clem...

Not everyone knows that Spencer Beck will hold private auctions from time to time. There's one that just got annouced today:

http://www.theartistschoice.com/privauc.html

Some really nice pieces with (relatively) low starting bids.

I heard that after this auction ends there will be another one going up from the site with more Romita Sr. art and even a...

Golden Age War Cover 893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

Aye Carumba...got start playing lotto. takeit.giftakeit.giftakeit.gif

Best,

Chris

Anyone else a little peeved by the 10% Buyer's Premium? How does that make any sense?

I thought that was only if you needed time payments?

From reading the terms...If you pay for the item in 10 days there is no premium....if you want 6 months to pay for the piece the 10% is added on. Kinda like saying the piece is 10% cheaper for paying cash.

Most sellers I know won't make a piece as cheap to a time payment person as a cash on offer person.

That makes sense to me.

Chris

Not everyone knows that Spencer Beck will hold private auctions from time to time. There's one that just got annouced today:

http://www.theartistschoice.com/privauc.html

Some really nice pieces with (relatively) low starting bids.

Can anyone fill me in on how his auctions work ? Do you submit your one high bid and hope you are the high bidder or are you contacted regarding your bid?

Thanks

Those are some nice items and the minimums aren't bad either. I think I am going to bid on the spidey. I also really like the Cap cover.

Don't let those minimums fool you! I'm sure the winning bid will be at least double or triple those minimums!

You think the Dr. Strange piece will be double or triple the minimum?

I thought the minimum there was already about FMV.

The Dr. Strange is worth at least 2 1/2 times that minimum.

A Ditko penciled and inked Dr. Strange splash? Talk about hen's teeth.

My panel page from strange tales is worth pretty close to that minimum bid, and mine is not a splash or a pin up.

Now if this were, say, the splash to Strange Tales #114 you might have seen 5 times that minimum.

You don't see all Ditko Dr. Strange pretty much EVER! I wish I had enough disposable cash right now (or in 6 months).

Chris Caira

3 hundred for that spidey isn't a bad deal. it is penciled and inked by romita. now 9000 for the cap cover. I don't think that cover will go that high. I think it would be maxed at 7000. It isn't like it is a steranko or a kirby. It is romita While he is a great artist since his body of work is larger and he still does work for marvel and does convention sketches his originals don't weigh the same plus it is a cap cover not a spidey cover.

Wasn't is just a couple of years ago that the complete story to Strange Tales #114 was offered for around 25K and sat for a long time?

Guess kk was right - original art is gold.

I don't remember the price, but that particular story is only a five-page sequence. The splash is a standard 2/3 splash that they used to do back then (not full page). But, yeah, that story would be valued more today.

Wasn't is just a couple of years ago that the complete story to Strange Tales #114 was offered for around 25K and sat for a long time?

Guess kk was right - original art is gold.

Sorry I was talking about the splash to #110 not #114. And the Splash to #115 would be up there as well.

Chris

You think the Dr. Strange piece will be double or triple the minimum?

I thought the minimum there was already about FMV.

The Dr. Strange is worth at least 2 1/2 times that minimum.

A Ditko penciled and inked Dr. Strange splash? Talk about hen's teeth.

My panel page from strange tales is worth pretty close to that minimum bid, and mine is not a splash or a pin up.

Now if this were, say, the splash to Strange Tales #114 you might have seen 5 times that minimum.

You don't see all Ditko Dr. Strange pretty much EVER! I wish I had enough disposable cash right now (or in 6 months).

Chris Caira

So has anyone seen where this Dr Strange pin up was published? I am hearing that it was in the early 70s, but this definitely feels like a mid 60s piece. Also if it was unpublished. Would it be worth any less?? Its true that you don't see much Ditko Dr Strange, but like most marvel art. Someone has it. gossip.gif

Clem....

Also if it was unpublished. Would it be worth any less??

Clem....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif This sounds like another recent thread. I wonder if the Ditko Strange was the piece in question there. It certainly fits the bill.

A few notes:

-Fischler has the ST 114 splash in his CAF gallery...

-There's an old wives tale about Brad Savage getting a late night call to meet someone in Central Park and bring $1000 cash for the interior to ST 110. But he passed on it. The ST 110 splash is probably my favorite splash. I remember getting a reprint and tracing it and drawing it during class in Middle School...

-I saw the Dr. Strange splash in NYC. I only held it for a second and it was impressive for what it was, published or unpublished. If it was published, it was probably in a Marvel Tales or Collector's Item Classic where they reprinted a ST Dr. Strange story...

-I remember when Chris' Dr. Strange ST page was offered, and like often happens, missed it, and the price was way too low! If you ever want to sell, I agree, it's worth what you say...great page!