• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spencer Beck's private auction

38 posts in this topic

Fischler has the ST 114 splash in his CAF gallery...

Yeah sorry about that, I was referring to 110 on the one hand and really #115, but I was at work and did not have my essentials in front of me, my bad.

-I remember when Chris' Dr. Strange ST page was offered, and like often happens, missed it, and the price was way too low! If you ever want to sell, I agree, it's worth what you say...great page!

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate it.

Yeah I leaped at it quickly when it was offered and Rich, who is a man of his word, kept his word to me in the face of multiple higher offers, after we sealed the deal. In fact as we exchanged money for art at Chicago last year I was offered 30% more in trade than I had just paid by one of the dealers there. It's a silly hobby sometimes.

Chris

So has anyone seen where this Dr Strange pin up was published? I am hearing that it was in the early 70s, but this definitely feels like a mid 60s piece.

I have heard from more than one potential bidder that they found that it was published and where it was published, but I am waiting on a scan or some details or both...

Chris

yeah, the #110 and #115 - definitely 5x this price (and maybe a couple of the great full splashes like #117 also).

I remember Carbonaro having the #114 story at San Diego and for at least a few shows after that (and maybe someone else too) before Fishler finally got it.

I remember Carbonaro having the #114 story at San Diego and for at least a few shows after that (and maybe someone else too) before Fishler finally got it.

That's funny, because I remember Anthony Carpenter having it for awhile at a few NYC shows...

I am kind shocked my this, but I heard from a couple different collecting friends that they had made offers north of $30k for that Dr. Strange splash. They did not say specifically how much they bid, and I am not naming them, so their bids are safe and it doesn't impair their chances. It just makes me wonder about my estimate of sale price.

There is almost a week to go on this auction and people have already placed bids somewhere near what I thought was the high number for this piece. This hobby keeps me guessing sometimes.

So if this is legit, which based on the collectors I talked to, I am 100% certain. I don't know where this could end.

Kinda makes me wish it was an old fashioned auction with a podium and a gavel so we could see the people go after this piece like rabid wolves. popcorn.gif

What do you guys think?

Chris

bumpit.gif

Anyone know final prices???

I won the cap 114 cover for $7600. Not sure if that was a good deal or not since there are very few publicly known comparisons for it. I didn't win the monsters on the prowl cover with a bid around $1550 so it must have gone for more than that.

-Peter

bumpit.gif

I won the cap 114 cover for $7600. Not sure if that was a good deal or not since there are very few publicly known comparisons for it. I didn't win the monsters on the prowl cover with a bid around $1550 so it must have gone for more than that.

-Peter

You got a very good deal!

bumpit.gif

-Peter

You got a very good deal!

Thanks - that's reassuring coming from an experienced collector.

-Peter

The rumor is about $37k on the Dr. Strange splash. Seems like another fair price if accurate.

Methinks that rumor is a tad low based on a friend who bid and lost at more than $37k.

Chris

I appreciate the comments. It certainly helps to have reassurance when you've just spent a decent amount of money on some art. BTW, I was in the neigborhood anyway but settled on $7600 in honor of the patriotic number since it was a cap cover...

-Peter