• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey LightHouse, Whaja Sellin' Tha Colt 35-center?

65 posts in this topic

I know it is hard to find but who would want it for 20 times the guide of the non price variant? I just do not get it, to each their own - I guess.

Tomega

Posting from a B&B in Victoria BC...

Hasn't sold yet... We'll have to see...

I've got an opportunity that I can't decide whether I want to take advantage of. If the KC sells, I'll do the deal. If not, I'll be more than happy to hang on to it.

But I figured I would give the rest of the 35c collectors at least one chance at the book. I'll be happy either way... I have already had two emails from variant collectors asking if I would take part-trade on it, which I will, so it may wind up as a part-cash, part-trade deal at the closing value of the auction. I've done that kind of deal several times on original art...

But for now, I need to get back to pretty flowers, and I think there is a butterfly garden in my immediate future...

Reserve not met at over $200 bucks? Methinks lighthouse is teasing us poor variant collectors... sorry.gif

I'm thinking the same thing, and feel that a fair ending price would be between $200-$250, but anything higher would be highly unlikely.

But who knows, maybe a couple of maniacs will take it to the stratosphere?

Reserve not met at over $200 bucks? Methinks lighthouse is teasing us poor variant collectors... sorry.gif

I'm thinking the same thing, and feel that a fair ending price would be between $200-$250, but anything higher would be highly unlikely.

With the recent insane.gif prices those variants have gone for, it wouldn't surprise me.

Lighthouse's book is probably worth $350.00 right now. And variant books and high graded C-G-C books are going for 70-85 times guide in some cases ( Shadow 1, Abedo 2, Star Wars 1,2,3,4 etc) The new rage right now otherwise is Whtiman 3 pack books (Little Lulu 260 $710.00 VG) and so on.

JC: ....obviously, we'll just have to see... but here's the thing. Unlike some sellers (comic and otherwise) who would charge you an arm and leg for something and would never buy it back from you, I am willing to back up my sales price with a buy price...

You may feel that a fair price for this book is $200-250, but I notice that you are not willing to sell any of your own books at a comparable value. $250 for this book would make 'common' 35c variants in similar condition worth $40 or so. Yet I don't see you lining up to sell yours at that price. You're not even lining up to sell them at the $75-100 they are currently fetching. So I have a hard time believing that you would sell this book for $250 if you owned it...

If you honestly think that the current market price on these items is too high, then why aren't you selling? Sounds to me like you think the current market price isn't high enough... just as I do...

(directed to everyone, not just JC)

And the difference is that I am willing to back up my opinion about a low market value with my wallet. I have made a standing offer of $35 for ANY 35c variant in any condition except coverless. Missing centerfold? I don't care. I'll pay $35.

I'm not suggesting anybody needs to bid more on this book. That's their choice. If you don't collect variants, that's fine. If you don't even understand the logic of variant collecting, that's fine too. I don't understand Treasure Hunt Hot Wheels collectors... But one of the truest tests of an 'investment grade' collectible is whether the seller is willing to buy it back at a reasonable percentage. If he's asking $100 for his book, will he buy yours for $50? I guarantee you that any book Blazingbob is selling for $5000 he is paying at least $2500 on, and likely a lot more than that. Anyone who thinks my reserve on the KC220 is high, you are more than entitled to your opinion. And I would welcome the opportunity to purchase ALL the 35c variants you currently own...

In all honesty, I am hoping the book doesn't sell. Because I think I set the reserve too low... and the only cost I care about is replacement cost. My reserve is below what it would take me to get another copy of this book... If it sells, I will be happy to pack it securely and send it along to its new owner, but as with nice original art that I sell, I will be kicking myself wondering how I might get it back...

'House

[You may feel that a fair price for this book is $200-250, but I notice that you are not willing to sell any of your own books at a comparable value. $250 for this book would make 'common' 35c variants in similar condition worth $40 or so.

I'm sorry, but I don't really agree with this argument. I've stated that rarity of variants only matters to the hardcore variant collector, and since I only collect super-hero books, I'd honestly love to have multiples of popular comics like X-Men 105-107 and Iron Fist 14-15 rather than any of the "rare" Western or Horror ones.

I honestly believe the high-demand super hero variants have more of a top-end due to their wider fan base, than a rarity in a genre that doesn't get much attention.

Still, it's a nice book, just not my cup of tea..

JC, Im not sure I agree with that.... I am not a variant collector, so to me, you are both a small variant of all of us comics collectors. You make the distinction that you only collect CERTAIN variants within that already small variant segment because as high-end super-hero books you feel THEY are the best ones to have because others will want them more due to the wider fan base. But that wider fan base only wants the regular copies, or theyd be variant collectors....and...

It seems to me the point of collecting variants is their rarity. As such, I would rather have just the rarest few issues (in this case the Westerns), thinking others will want only those, since the "more popular" genre issues (XMen etc) are less rare due to their popularity.

But that wider fan base only wants the regular copies, or theyd be variant collectors....and... As such, I would rather have just the rarest few issues (in this case the Westerns), thinking others will want only those, since the "more popular" genre issues (XMen etc) are less rare due to their popularity.

Actually, this is a bit of a leap of logic, and I know many collectors who want a full run of Spider-man, X-Men, FF, etc. and that INCLUDES 30 and 35 cent price variants.

That said, they also wouldn't collect the variants outside of their run.

X-Men 107 is a real bugger to find (relative to the other mainstream issues) and if another high-grade copy comes up for auction, I'll toss the link on here and we can all watch the show.

You'll have variant collectors, X-Men collectors and speculators all fighting for it, and that's one key to a high ending price, hitting a wide range of buyers.

I think this book will likely go pretty high, and I was just disagreeing with a $250/$40 split for Western vs. Super hero 35-centers.

For those variant collectors who doubt that there are many people out there collecting variants. I ran my IF 14 9.0 35-cent variant auction for 7 days. In that time period, I received 5 offers (which doesn't include the final bid of 960 dollars) for prices between 1,000 and 1,500 dollars. There's a lot of variant collectors out there and they definitely seem to think these books are worthwhile..

Brian

For those variant collectors who doubt that there are many people out there collecting variants. I ran my IF 14 9.0 35-cent variant auction for 7 days. In that time period, I received 5 offers (which doesn't include the final bid of 960 dollars) for prices between 1,000 and 1,500 dollars. There's a lot of variant collectors out there and they definitely seem to think these books are worthwhile..

Brian

I don't think there can be any doubt that there are variant collectors out there. Having said that, the IF 14 is not a good example. That is probably the most important "key" out of all of them.

It's a price variant, the issue here was people not believing that price variants should be considered anything special by collectors and that people are few and far between who will pay large sums for these said books. This example illustrates that this thinking is not true.

Brian

I tend to agree. Especially for the 35 centers, I think we are really only talking about a handful of serious collectors. There are more who collect the 30 centers, but again only a few will pay big $$$ for them.

Check the variant auctions on eBay, its always the same half dozen or so people bidding on the books.