• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12 p IRON MAN ???

7 posts in this topic

i was going through a bunch of my old iron mans' and ran across this oddity. i never noticed it before. im not completely sure, or if anyone knows, is that 12 p in reference to 12 pence....as in british money. if it is i have no idea how the heck i came across it. i've never actually seen a foreign version of any comic, so this is a first for me.thanx for the help. cool.gif

175534-Save0005.jpg.5a8868e3150d7b020b5d680acd41f522.jpg

It is aBritish pence copy. Has been discussed a few times on the board, search 'pence'. It is the same comic but they changed the printer to pence on a few issues. They are rarer but generally worth about 80% of the American version (nobody has a good reason why though!)

Came off the same printing presses, same operators, just shipped

over seas to the UK, allowing for the 'variant' prices, they're the same.

(nobody has a good reason why though!)

The only reason I can think of is that a lot of collectors have a basic "cover price" thing going. Things like "When comics used to be a dime." and discussions about the change from 10-12, 12-15, 15-20 cents etc and how these may even be related to ages. There's just something homey and familiar about glancing at the top of the book and seeing 10 cents or whatever. Seeing something like 12p, well, it is hard to relate to.

were they definitley printed and assembled on the same presses at the same time? Ive always subscribed to the idea that they are worth less than "real" copies...but they might in actuality be smaller print run (scarcer) varaint similar to the 30 and 35 centers that some people collect so passionately!!

I sure don't have the numbers, but most were printed

in a 10 : 1 ratio as I recall. Tons came back over

in the mid '80's. If Dolgoff is around, I think his folks

pulled quite a few loads back then. Ronalds may be

able to give you an answer.

were they definitley printed and assembled on the same presses at the same time?

Yes, they are identical except for the price and came from the same print run. They are not, as commonly thought, reprints.