• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on unpublished pieces.....

10 posts in this topic

Let's say you guys had an opportunity to purchase an INCREDIBLE unpublished piece from a favorite artist. And Let's say that this piece is more than just cover quality, it actually surpasses most covers that this artist has done(twice as large, incredibly detailed, classsic subject matter, etc...). Let's also say that covers from this artist range from 5-12K, and that you believe that if this piece were a published cover it would easily be valued at the top of that range, and possibly beyond. And, while this artist has done a lot of unpublished stuff, nothing that you've seen comes close to this particular piece. How much would you be willing to pay? And how far will you guys go with unpublished pieces in general?(Comissions included)

How much would you be willing to pay? And how far will you guys go with unpublished pieces in general?(Comissions included)

I have gone down this road with my commissioned pieces. Ultimately it comes down to the art. When you are talking about a top shelf artist, with top shelf selling prices already you are well within your right mind to pay near pubbed cover $$$ for an unpubbed piece when it is superior in quality and twice the size of normal pubbed pieces.

Quality is everything. You said it might be the best piece he has ever done, right? When you combine that with a larger than normal size, and the artists reputation, I think some people would rather have an unpubbed piece that is this good than a pubbed piece of lesser quality.

I paid a hefty price for my Bolland unpubbed piece...it was more than alot of his Dredd and Animal Man covers sell for and about as much as some Wonder Woman covers sell for and, to me, it is worth every penny and more.

Chris

PS You never know when a piece that good will wind up published...that has a way of happening with the really prime pieces....

PS You never know when a piece that good will wind up published...that has a way of happening with the really prime pieces....

Actually, there is talk of it being published in a portfolio, but I didn't want to mention it, and I've made my offer/decision assuming it will remain unpublished.

While it's true that some great examples of commissions and unpublished pin ups ended up being used, it's important that you go on the side of caution and factor that in with your offer....which it sounds like you did.

I tend to shy away from spending big money on unpublished pieces, regardless of who the artist is. I would love a Batman piece by Neal Adams, for example, but I wouldn't spend 3k on a piece...... and commisions that I have gotten, i never spend more than 300 bucks on one. I hear people spending or offering to spend crazy money on commissions and I scratch my head. I think my limit would be 500 on a commission. -

Another way to look at it is the fact that alot of mainstream art that never gets published is big bucks....If this is truly art, as most of us think it is, then it does boil down to the art itself....Like Chris said.

It's strictly a personal choice and what you feel comfortable spending, knowing that you probably won't get your price paid back should you decide to part with it in 6 months.....I'm not assuming that you will do that, just saying.....

....If this is truly art, as most of us think it is,

To me it is. confused-smiley-013.gif A number of offers have been made, so I'm definetly not the only one with strong feelings about this piece.

I've found myself in a similar situation several times and have shelled out a fair amount of cash for unpublished pieces because I thought the quality of the art was as good as or better than their published counterparts and because the size of the unpublished pieces was much larger as well. If resale value had been a concern, however, I probably would not have paid as much as I did, since the market for commissions and unpublished pieces is always going to be smaller, sometimes drastically so. Whether you agree or not, there are many collectors who are all about the nostalgia of the published pieces and wouldn't spend two seconds recognizing the artistic merits of an unpublished piece. That is just a fact of life, so bid accordingly.

If resale value had been a concern, however, I probably would not have paid as much as I did, since the market for commissions and unpublished pieces is always going to be smaller, sometimes drastically so. Whether you agree or not, there are many collectors who are all about the nostalgia of the published pieces and wouldn't spend two seconds recognizing the artistic merits of an unpublished piece. That is just a fact of life, so bid accordingly.

I would go along with what Gene says here.

I guess it all comes down to why you are buying the piece. Are you thinking about reselling it at some point down the road? If so, can you afford to risk the $$$ on an untested piece?

Of course if you want it for it's own sake, then the quality of the art is the most important factor.

Are you thinking about reselling it at some point down the road? If so, can you afford to risk the $$$ on an untested piece?

I buy art with no intention of selling...........but one never knows what will happen. I'm not spending money that I plan on needing, simply because I couldn't sleep if I did. If I take a bath on a piece, so be it.

I sent my offer, which is pretty agressive, before I started this thread. My decision was made, but I was more curious about how other collectors would deal with a similar situation. In other words, I'm trying to gauge the degree of my insanity by comparing myself to my fellow inmates. tongue.gif

Are you thinking about reselling it at some point down the road? If so, can you afford to risk the $$$ on an untested piece?

I buy art with no intention of selling...........but one never knows what will happen. I'm not spending money that I plan on needing, simply because I couldn't sleep if I did. If I take a bath on a piece, so be it.

I sent my offer, which is pretty agressive, before I started this thread. My decision was made, but I was more curious about how other collectors would deal with a similar situation. In other words, I'm trying to gauge the degree of my insanity by comparing myself to my fellow inmates. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif