• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidden treasure - Happy Comics 33, Frazetta story

102 posts in this topic

I have had over a dozen copies of this ultra-cool Nedor, got my first one back in 67 at my first comicbook show in Houston - cost me a quarter, i think.

Was on a two-prong full court press in those days acquiring everything Frazetta as well as everything Nedor/Standard/Better//Pines (including pulps) material and completed long runs of Exciting Black Terror Startling America's Best Wonder Thrilling Fighting Yank Real Life etc etc first drawn in for the Frazetta, Severin & Elder and other EC artists,

as Squa Tront & Spa Fon etc trumpeted the EC clarion call to collect and savor

- but there was other gold out in them thar hills: Standard, Avon, Ziff-Davis, Youthful, Heroic, etc outside of the EC universe which many of us began weddign thru all the chaffe to extract the gem stornes - and Happy 33 surely is one of those.

Mike Nolan's Nedor index had been published along with his Timely and MLJ indexes, if i remember correctly. First we get into the super hero aspects, then, when you got a bunch of those, near-complete runs, you start looking at the "esoteric" titles of a company and the cross hair of Frazetta got me into Standard Nedor's Barnyard Goofy...and Happy Comics.

Even had to pick up Leroy #5 for its half page Fritz text illo. Way back in the day, and i let Bill Stout talk me out of it at some early 80s San Diego show when he convinced me it was truly the last Frazetta he needed to complete this company.

Like when one starts to build ACG titles, Herbie or the horror/fantasy titles got you going, then one disovers Operation Peril, Spy Hunter, and their Ha Ha, Giggle, Cookie and the Kilroys, among many others as well.

I would truly like to buy/trade for another cpy again if some one has a dup. Thanks FlyingD - i got the Real Life 52 with its other swell Frazetta Prince valiant homage gem stone in the back of that book as well

The Fritz in RL 50 is inked by some one who butchered FF's pencils, which are such an eye sore to me i refuse to place on in my re-building collection of which Happy 33 is at the near top for replacement. Ain't it a beaut?