• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice old Punch Comics 19, photo pic 1

15 posts in this topic

Well, I can't seem to follow that post with another picture without starting another topic. frown.gif

There's a small "chad" from a single interior page bottom corner. The spine is all intact with just a slight nick at the bottom. All attached, no rust or foxing.

I do have the following Cheslers up this week. Just for two days before they get shipped off for grading. I've GOT to do it since those numbers are not registered. The PUNCH is very nice; the Dynamic is low-mid grade. Or mid-low grade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PUNCH-15-vf-DYNAMIC-...1QQcmdZViewItem

1217995-dynfull.JPG.b8dc218c1514c25a9a7cff0d1843a704.JPG

Hey sosodada,

First, that's a beautiful Punch #19 you posted here. Very nice! (I take it you're a Chesler collector? I auctioned off a rough copy of Punch #20 a few weeks ago...not sure if you saw it.)

No offense is meant by the following, but since you're in the grading forum... grin.gif

Looking at the two books in your auction above, a grade of VF+ is IMO awfully optimistic for the Punch #15, nice as it obviously is. With the chip missing I would think that would take the book down to more like a 6.5/7.0, though I'd be happy to be wrong. The Dynamic #14 is another great book, but the brittleness & cover looseness you describe is definitely going to kill the technical grade. Judging from the auction you seem to have high expectations on the final grades & prices, which I fear may not be borne out. Are you sure you want to send those two books to be slabbed?

<<... Very nice! >>

Thanks!

<<I auctioned off a rough copy of Punch #20 a few weeks ago...not sure if you saw it.>>

I missed it -- I probably would have bid on it -- I'll look it up in the completed auctions section.

<<Looking at the two books in your auction above, a grade of VF+ is IMO awfully optimistic for the Punch #15, nice as it obviously is. With the chip missing I would think that would take the book down to more like a 6.5/7.0, though I'd be happy to be wrong.>>

That chip is the only thing. I posted a bit more about that... smile.gif

<<The Dynamic #14 is another great book, but the brittleness & cover looseness you describe is definitely going to kill the technical grade. >>

Yes, that's a low-ender.

<<Judging from the auction you seem to have high expectations on the final grades & prices, which I fear may not be borne out. >>

Well, you may be right... but in that case we'll see what the grade is on that Punch! smile.gif Unfortunately I don't think we're allowed to wager on pending grades (although that might be fun).

Check out those alabaster pages, the slinky spine, the pert staples...

<<Are you sure you want to send those two books to be slabbed?>>

Well, I'm trying to decide which three should go out with the col-soc cupes... the Dynamic is attractive because it needs the preservation at this point and isn't in the registry. These two Punches are way up there in grade. . . way up there. . . I guess the third will be the Yankee 1 unless I find that elusive Punch 12. . .

Nope, not me. I'm down here in NYC. hi.gif Now that I think about it, the Punch 20 auction was probably over a month ago. Cool book, but definitely a real low-grade copy, so it probably wouldn't have felt at home with your other "Punches". smile.gif

I just wanted to offer my two cents on your two books in case you were slabbing them with the intention to sell...just my opinion, but I don't think the expense of slabbing will give the books enough of a bump to be worth it. Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

Regards,

Jon