• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Marvel 25-cent Giant?

30 posts in this topic

Good points:)

Also possibly the most over-looked one (IMO) in ASM Annual #5 - First mention/ flashback appearance of Richard and Mary Parker.

Also, the ASM Annual 6 is worth the new Romita cover alone, even though it is a reprint.

Eric

Overstreet's description is wrong. The reprinted stories in Capt America b/w annual & Marvel Mystery b/w are NOT the same. I used to think they were the same except the bks were flopped 1/2 way through. Meaning the Capt America reprint was lead story for Capt b/w annual, but the Marvel Mystery reprint was lead story for Marvel Mystery annual. Since VERY few hi-end collectors will have BOTH Timely's in stock at SAME time, it is very difficult to refute Overstreet.

I can't tell the difference. Xela art is Xela art to me. I don't have a run of Timely's to compare the reprint to. The issue # of the reprint is NOT noted on pg 1 of the annuals. U may be able to estimate the matching reprint issues by comparing 1942 to 1944.

Forgive me I'm old. After reading what some of you posted about the annuals with new stories in them; your right Marvel was doing that back in the 60's. I must of been thinking of DC's annuals which reprinted older stories. But really, thats how the first annuals were that I can remember reading. The ealry ones only had reprints. I believe Marvel was first to start putting new stories in the annuals.

Hope that makes more sense of my last post.

Oh BTW; Overstreet's GUIDE does state that Strange Tales Annual #1 (1st Marvel Annual ?) I guess Overstreet isn't sure either.

I used to have a copy of the Marvel Mystery Annual (but it had no back cover).

I made copies of the splash pages from the the stories inside, so I could double-check the issues later on.

I never bothered to actually do it, but could probably dig up the copies if someone thinks they could ID them (and to compare to the Cap Annual).

Sean

I'm salivating over these Timely annuals, condition be damned. They have to be some of the most elusive books of the golden age, and I bet prices skyrocket on them in the near future.

Sean, I think I know the collector outside of San Fran, CA u may have bought the Marvel Mystery b/w from.

Yes, I do expect the Timely b/w annual prices to spike UP once cgc starts slabbing mag size again. U could have the panache of saying highest graded & only 1 on the census. Charge comiclink clients a fortune & set a WORLD record price.

Everyone agrees Nic Cage has/had 1 of the best comic collections of all time. Yet I don't see any Timely b/w annuals up for sale unless Heritage is saving more Nic bks for 02Dec. auction. Nic's UNsigned run of Strawberry Shortcake for 40x guide, fanboy?

Overstreet currently states LESS than 5 known copies of Marvel Mystery b/w. No current population estimated for Capt America b/w, but Overstreet prev. estimated about 9-12 copies for the latter in late 70s Overstreet Pr Gd.