• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis survey-win a CGC 8.5 Daredevil #1

31 posts in this topic

I get the impression both heritage and metropolis will end up going the way of the dinosaur eventually. In a few years once the bulk of the rarer books are all CGC'd and everyone puts stuff up on ebay there will be no point in using a third party comic dealer to commission sales.

The extended future of backissue comics = ebay

Heritage will continue due to the fact that they have such a large coin collector base and those people seem to be crossing over and buying some of the comic books that Heritage sells in their bigger offerings. I think eventually either the buyer's premium or the huge commission rip will have to go for them to continue, but that's not a huge deal.

Brian

I get the impression both heritage and metropolis will end up going the way of the dinosaur eventually. In a few years once the bulk of the rarer books are all CGC'd and everyone puts stuff up on ebay there will be no point in using a third party comic dealer to commission sales.

I seriously doubt either company is very worried.

The majority of the best books out there are sold through non-ebay online sources, and privately through dealers and collectors who know each other. This will not change. Dealers and auction houses still have huge customer-bases, and exclusive buyers. With all the scams, and deadbeats, ebay is far from ideal. When I first started using ebay in 2000, there were a lot less scammers and deadbeats out there. As time goes on, ebay will continue to grow, and so will its problems. All this [!@#%^&^] is getting worse, and ebay dosen't really seem to care much. Not ideal conditions for selling prime stuff, which is one of the reasons there has been(and will continue to be) a drop-off in the quality of stuff offered on ebay.

I agree with Andrew in that Metropolis isn't going anywhere... they have such a huge inventory and have so much capital to buy books, I don't see them just going out of business. The scams on ebay seem worse than I remember too, making me more and more hesitant to buy any books on ebay.

As to Heritage, I do think they'll see some decrease in interest in their books as interest cools a little bit on some of the cgc books, but I don't think they're going anywhere.

AK, I agree with Ebay having a lot more deadbeats lately. I know that I am watching my wallet a bit tighter these days on the purchasing end and have really pretty much stopped selling and have started trading / selling to my local comic book shop.

Personally when I do sell on ebay it is usually some DC overstock or some 80s-90s doubles and for every 10 transactions that I have there is at least 1 problem. Considering that my average purchase is $5 (I'm being serious here) it's not worth the time or trouble.

DAM

DAM:

have you found that your local shop is willing to pay reasonable prices on those books... I've always found that trade works out well, but I usually hold my books until shows if I want to sell/trade to dealers... but I'm curious as to what you're experience has been?

DAM:

have you found that your local shop is willing to pay reasonable prices on those books... I've always found that trade works out well, but I usually hold my books until shows if I want to sell/trade to dealers... but I'm curious as to what you're experience has been?

Here's what I recently did and I would be interested in how this compared with your experience. Traded a bunch of VG to F+ Silver Age comics for a Fantastic Four #1 I really wanted. The value in trade was 50% guide for the comics I had. I felt this was fair because I would have been lucky to get that much on e-bay had I went through the hassle of selling them. Your opinion would be appreciated. Only because I'd be interested on what your dealer does in a situation like this.

If you have not filled out the new Metropolis Survey click on

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/cgi-bin/metropolis/survey.cgi

You could win a Daredevil #1 CGC graded VF+ 8.5!

Great way to expand your customer list. And, as a bonus you get to be on their mailing list. That can't be too bad. Thanks for the invite. Will be looking forward to winning that DD #1. cloud9.gif

Hey, I'm a positive guy. What can I say. grin.gif

DAM:

Let me just say that I have a PHENOMENAL relationship with my local comic shop. I have spent literally hundreds of dollars with this guy and consider it my duty to spend at least $50 with him every month in my attempts to keep him in business.

I have really only traded with him for stuff, but he does give me very fair trades. A typical example would be: I'll bring in 100 books and ask him to pick the ones that he can give me at least 50 cents worth of credit for. Sometimes more, never less. The ones that aren't worth at least 50 cents will go to http://www.comics4kids.org. Then I go to school. He gives me really fair prices but if you were to come off the street he wouldn't give you as great a deal - although he does buy comics regularly (that's actually the number one reason I go there - he always has new old books since he buys collections all the time). My local comic shop will also buy your books in bulk at around 10 cents a book, but I would rather donate them. BTW - the comic shop I go to is The Time Machine on 14th and 7th in NYC. Roger is the best.

I have also sold to dealers before. ebay id: Cartooncomics is a great guy who I have been buying from since I have been back in the hobby. I traded about 100 X-Men books to him from 150-200 and 250-300 for $75 cash and $225 trade. I was looking for $150 / $150 but he was more than accomodating.

Everything else has been through ebay and I would still use ebay for all the cgc books. I have never had a problem selling a cgc book on ebay (in terms of deadbeat bidders). From now on the raw books are going straight to the local shop if he wants 'em or else they will be donated.

Best,

DAM

I guess just to expand a little bit, all the books that I have traded have either been:

1 - doubles of mine from 1980 and up

2 - very recent DC overstock books that I don't want, including TPBs.

My store will give me CASH 50 cents on the dollar for all TPBs that I have that they want. For recent books they are also a bit more generous with the trades. The 80s and 90s stuff they are pretty much inundated with (heh, who isn't?) but the newer stuff I do very well with.

My store also has some stuff that is strictly cash only. A good example would be G+/VG- copies of World's Finest 1-3 that I couldn't trade for no matter what. I usually trade for the Detectives / Actions on my want list as I have cleared that place out of my want list Batman's long ago.

My store also doesn't deal in CGC comics and won't take them, well if they did it wouldn't surprise me if they cracked the slab and sold it raw.

Ninanina was lucky to get his FF #1 through trades of some nice SA stuff, although my guy will give generous trades for the SA stuff too, but my SA stuff I am keeping.

Another thing that I like about my store is that the new comics they just give cash dicounts for. if you are in their computer and in their "pull" pile it's 20% off in cash (example - a $2.25 book will be $1.75 - they don't do it to the penny). Otherwise they give EVERYONE that walks in a cash discount on books and give free bags and boards. The non-pull guys get discounts of 10-15% depending on how many books they buy.

Hope this helps,

DAM

Not ideal conditions for selling prime stuff, which is one of the reasons there has been(and will continue to be) a drop-off in the quality of stuff offered on ebay.

Sounds like you have more of a bone to pick with ebay than actually considering what's going on out there. Ebay has been tightening up its seller security policies considerably since '00 now and I expect that trend to continue. Fraud still exists but I believe it will taper off eventually.

I still believe ebay will eat up both once more people decide to market the books themselves instead of having auction houses and dealers charge insane commissions and markups on books. The _BEST_ deals i've ever found have all been on ebay. I don't really trust middleman comic dealers much anyways. Most of them seem to acquire their vast inventory through less than scrupulous methods by taking advantage of ignorant collectors and old people to turn a profit. Don't get me wrong i'm sure there's a number of them out there who are completely legitimate but it's rare. I think you have to be a little bit of a "slick willy" snake oil salesman to make it big as a comic dealer.

All you guys talking about local store deals etc.. well that's nice but i've never found any significant backissue dealer here on the west coast. Most want crazy asinine multiples that far outweigh what you could get on ebay. Also, i've NEVER met any dealer who has been willing to offer me a non insulting price for anything i've inquired about selling.

At least with ebay you will get close and sometimes above market price most of the time.