• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 VS GIJOE 21

56 posts in this topic

watch out delek, beyonder may have the single largest collection of mcfarlane marvels in the universe.

personally, i don't dislike his art. and he didn't come up with the whole symbiote thing, did he? that was brewing for 4 years before TM started on the book

And while we're slaying the sacred cows of a dark time in comics history, let me say that VENOM IS THE WORST SPIDEY VILLAIN EVER CREATED. Yes, he's even worse than Rocket Racer, the Grizzly, the Kangaroo and the Mindworm - at least those losers only appeared in a very small number of issues instead of irrevocably polluting ASM continuity for years and years and years. Again, Spider-Man is all about a hard luck nice guy, who we can all relate to, who learns that with great power comes great responsibility. He fights villains - the all too HUMAN villains - who succumb to the HUMAN weakness of being corrupted by great power. It is NOT about Spidey going off to another planet to fight a Secret War and then having his alien symbiote costume turn into a brain-eating monster who threatens his supermodel wife.

So 893censored-thumb.gif Todd McFarlane, 893censored-thumb.gif Venom and 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif ASM 300. sign-rantpost.gif

ROFLMAO!, and yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

delekkerste, would it have anything to do with you owning the OA to Joe 21? A bit biased maybe? wink.gif

Personally if i had to choose between the two i would go for the Joe 21. No, don't spit the coffee all over your monitor just yet - i have a good explanation! Well reason being is that i own 4 copies of ASM 300 including a CGC 9.6 yet no copies of Joe 21. Which is the better book? Well i've never "read" Joe 21 but Vegans made me want to but ASM 300 is my favourite book of all time.

...I have both the regular 300 and the chromium yay.gif

Don't celebrate that chromium too much.

After all, reprints aren't generally worth dancing about.

Besides, what's a chromium reprint ASM 300 going to mean

in a few years when Marvel eventually issues a "silver" reprint ASM 300,

then a "gold" reprint ASM 300, then a "platinum" reprint ASM 300, then an "adamantium" reprint ASM 300, then a ...

If anyone is unsure what supposed "Copper Age" comic is a chromium ASM 300...

you'll find it in the price guide as "Marvel Collectible Classics: Spiderman #1" from 1998,

reprinting ASM 300 from 1988 on the 10th Anniversary.

(A 10th anniversary reprint? In chromium? Yep, that's the one.)

It's a lot like 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'.

In many ways it's superior, but will never be as recognized as the original. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

Which book is hotter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know which book is hotter, but there's no question that G.I. Joe #21 is better. I despise the entire McFarlane Spidey run. I despise TMac's cartoony art that spawned throngs of even worse imitators and I hate what they did to Peter and MJ story-wise, sending Peter on book signings and MJ on modeling shoots when she's not being kidnapped by model-happy stalkers - this is supposed to be Peter "Hard Luck Nice Guy" Parker, not Peter "I'm a Celebrity Photographer Married to a Supermodel" Parker. You know what I have to say to that travesty? F893censored-thumb.gif THAT S893censored-thumb.gif. sumo.gif

And while we're slaying the sacred cows of a dark time in comics history, let me say that VENOM IS THE WORST SPIDEY VILLAIN EVER CREATED. Yes, he's even worse than Rocket Racer, the Grizzly, the Kangaroo and the Mindworm - at least those losers only appeared in a very small number of issues instead of irrevocably polluting ASM continuity for years and years and years. Again, Spider-Man is all about a hard luck nice guy, who we can all relate to, who learns that with great power comes great responsibility. He fights villains - the all too HUMAN villains - who succumb to the HUMAN weakness of being corrupted by great power. It is NOT about Spidey going off to another planet to fight a Secret War and then having his alien symbiote costume turn into a brain-eating monster who threatens his supermodel wife.

So 893censored-thumb.gif Todd McFarlane, 893censored-thumb.gif Venom and 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif ASM 300. sign-rantpost.gif

I would pick ASM 300 over GI Joe 21 without hesitation. Having said that though, even though I am a huge Spidey fan, I have to agree with a lot of what Gene says.

Todd McFarlane is, in my mind, THE MOST OVERATED COMIC BOOK ARTIST OF ALL TIME.

'Nuff said, as Gene pretty much sumed up my feelings (except the Venom part, who I think is a pretty cool villain).

what are we picking vs. what are we picking?

the same money that gets you a slabbed 9.4 joe 21 maybe gets you an 8.5 ASM 300 nowadays (but I haven't been checking). would you take the 8.5 over the 9.4 every time if you were shelling out the money?

A few thoughts...

Joe 21 is by far the better read per say then ASM 300.

Joe 21 is by far harder to find in high grade then ASM 300.

21 will NEVER be more collectible then 300 its an impossibility unless a Joe movie hits big some day.

While McFarlane has never been my favorite. He is one of the only few artists who could walk into Marvel or DC offices tomorrow and draw any book he wants whenever he wants too. Either company would DIE to get him back for just a few issues.

He has made an absolute fortune in the sports figure market then blew quite a bit of it on that lame home run ball. 27_laughing.gif

so what the heck is the deal with G I Joe 21 any dang way? I picked up #1 when it came out was unimpressed and never looked at another? can someone fill me in? confused-smiley-013.gif

First appearance of Storm Shadow, arguably the most popular character to come out of the whole G.I Joe ARAH mythos. If you didn't grow up with the cartoon or the comic, that probably dosen't mean much.

As a comic, putting "the market" aside, I have to agree that Joe #21 is far superior to ASM #300.

In terms of collectibility though, I'd rather have the original Storm Shadow action figure mint on card than either of these books.

I always find these posts about Joe stuff and other collectibles in general interesting. Andrew - what would the most expensive 80s toy out there be? Please tell me it is not a star wars item (barf). Besides even if a star wars item came out in the 80s I consider more of a 70s franchise as a whole anyway.

What about 70s and 90s (non star wars) insane.gif

He has made an absolute fortune in the sports figure market then blew quite a bit of it on that lame home run ball. 27_laughing.gif

He must kick himself when he thinks about the price he paid on that one. Seemed like a good decision at the time though. Pre juice, pre bonds, looked like a # no one was going to beat for an incredibly long time and it was at the end of what was at the time a really magical season. Didn't turn out too well insane.gif but it seemed like an incredibly desirable ball at the time.

Mcfarlane ownes most of the HR ball's from Big mac and Sosa's chase for the record and a few of the bats.

He donated or lent them to the BB hall of fame on the condition that he could take batting practice in every big leauge park.

I've seen him on T.V. saying "that Bonds made him more then enough money"

so what the heck is the deal with G I Joe 21 any dang way? I picked up #1 when it came out was unimpressed and never looked at another? can someone fill me in? confused-smiley-013.gif

First appearance of Storm Shadow, arguably the most popular character to come out of the whole G.I Joe ARAH mythos. If you didn't grow up with the cartoon or the comic, that probably dosen't mean much.

As a comic, putting "the market" aside, I have to agree that Joe #21 is far superior to ASM #300.

In terms of collectibility though, I'd rather have the original Storm Shadow action figure mint on card than either of these books.

Thanks Cap, never was a fan of the Toon or the Comic. I go back to the Joes with the life-like hair and kung fu grip thumbsup2.gif

I always find these posts about Joe stuff and other collectibles in general interesting. Andrew - what would the most expensive 80s toy out there be? Please tell me it is not a star wars item (barf). Besides even if a star wars item came out in the 80s I consider more of a 70s franchise as a whole anyway.

What about 70s and 90s (non star wars) insane.gif

Honestly man, I'm not sure. I'm not a big toy guy, only interested in GI Joe items for the most part. Out of the Joes, Strom Shadow is around the 4th most valuable figure, behind Firefly, the first release Snake Eyes, and the first release Cobra Commander. Highest price I've ever heard is around 5K for the AFA equivalent of a CGC 9.8 Cobra Commander. And that's only what I know of....I've been out of the loop for a while.

Transformers Generation 1 are big too, probably as established as the GI Joes are.

I know absolutely nothing about Star Wars, and don't want to know anything about them. But I wouldn't be surprised to find the most valuable 80's toy in that series. Anyone know what the top Star Wars toys command?