• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me this S.A Crash............

230 posts in this topic

agree that the Overstreet Guide is just that...a guide. I also like the free market system. However, shouldn't a seller at least take a courtesy look at Overstreet and use the prices there as a basis for selling a book? Without Overstreet (and the idea of grading standards to begin with) there would be no CGC.

No offense, but I don't understand this. It isn't just the sellers who are "jacking" up the prices, it's the bidders. So if bidders are consistently paying multiples of guide for slabbed 9.4's+, then it becomes fair market value. Values may rise or drop, but for tight now, FMV is multiples of guide for many NM books. I have seen countless auctions starting at $1 w/no reserve, and the books still command multiples. So that means that paying multiples for slabbed 9.4's is becomming the norm, for the time being. But the guide will not reflect that because CGC is one smaller portion of a huge hobby.

And like others have already said, paying multiples for true NM's has been a standard practice for a long time.

It also depends on what you collect. I would guess by your posts that you've never had a situation where you've bought an early Silver "NM" book, and had it turn out to be restored, losing lots of money in the process. If that happens to you, then you might understand why slabbed books bring in a premium. I collect high grade silver, so CGC is not only the better alternative for me, but in some cases it's the only one. But if you can find me a seller who sells early silver in unrestored, high grade, unslabbed, please tell me!

Point taken.

Donut, you say YOU missed the boat on getting rid of your Amazing Spider-Mans before the market all about dried up.. What about this poor unfortunate? flamed.gif

Something tells me he paid a hearty premium for those books too. Hmm at a 12k reserve I don't imagine many people will take him up on his offer.

No offense, but I don't understand this. It isn't just the sellers who are "jacking" up the prices, it's the bidders.

That sounds exactly like those MLB pinheads who cry poor when they don't get $50 million a year. grin.gif

My answer is the same: Some people with lotsa cash are just , and by tossing money around without conscience, they will kill the business in the long run.

Donut, you say YOU missed the boat on getting rid of your Amazing Spider-Mans before the market all about dried up.. What about this poor unfortunate? flamed.gif

It's interesting you bring this up, as that kind of auction (speculators dumping in mass quantities) signalled the end of the Graded Cards Boom, and the start of dark days to come.

It's interesting you bring this up, as that kind of auction (speculators dumping in mass quantities) signalled the end of the Graded Cards Boom, and the start of dark days to come.

Yeah, but what doesn't?

Brian

Laugh if you will, but this sort of "mass listings" where a previous speculator is getting out, are bad news, and usually end up with the buyer losing his shirt (or house?).

When that happens, it's yet another black mark against "Slab Investing" and gets others worried about their funny-book portfolio.

I wasn't joking about the "graded card" example, and initially there were some dumpers, but when things got really bad, there were box-loads of these things for sale.

I've seen dozens of these auctions, there were a lot at the end of last Summer. There's been a couple here and there. Sometimes they signal the seller needs money!! 893whatthe.gif

Brian

I've seen dozens of these auctions, there were a lot at the end of last Summer. There's been a couple here and there. Sometimes they signal the seller needs money!! 893whatthe.gif

You're right, but when they become more and more common, it's a definite sign that something is up..

My answer is the same: Some people with lotsa cash are just , and by tossing money around without conscience, they will kill the business in the long run.

That is irrelevant to what I was saying. I was not saying that people paying high multiples are crazy, or smart, or anything else. I was just pointing out to him that the end prices are not solely the result of a seller charging an arm and a leg. It takes one to sell and one to buy.

Also, whenever "investing" comes up, wires always seem to get crossed. When I put up this post, I linked to a FF #5 CGC 9.2, not ASM 9.6's or USM #1 White covers.

JC, do you really think that this FF #5 purchase was moronic? Because personally, I think he got a good price, where as the guy who bought the CGC 9.8 Hulk 181 is smoking crack.

It was an analogy to the current system in baseball, where a few rich, stupid owners are tossing around money like there's no tomorrow, and the business is probably going to falter in 10 years or so.

But of course when presented with these patently-insane owners, what do the greedy, arrogant and short-sighted players say?

"It's not us, it's the bidders who are driving up prices". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You can't have a true free market when so much money is in the hands of . 893frustrated.gif

You knew it wouldn't be long til the ever predictable opinions of Sunshine Joe made their way to this thread. Almost any scenario of past financial crisis easily lends itself to explaining why overly wealthy yet stupid people buy high priced cgc books - and THE END IS NEAR! Can we change your name to Apocolypse Joe?

It's just like 1992 all over again, and what's worse, most people on here know it.

i think the HTF early titles and keys will retain their value, it's just the non keys or bronze common issues that will come back down to earth in price, when more and more turn up on the census. buy your GA and early SA now, but buy the BA and moderns 2 -3 years from now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifrantpost.gif

Yep, and if you remember back to '92, it wasn't Amazing Fantasy 15 that took a bath, but Bronze/Modern books, but also comics like Amazing Spider-man 50, FF 48, and Iron Man 1/Cap 100, which are extremely common in grade.

If I were investing, I wouldn't touch anything outside of the first 10 issues of the key Silver Age titles, and move back from there.

i think the HTF early titles and keys will retain their value, it's just the non keys or bronze common issues that will come back down to earth in price, when more and more turn up on the census.

Certain Bronze DC's, like Neal Adams books are decent investments as well, as they feature great stories/art, and are hard as hell to find in grade. Everyone's looking at Marvels right now, so it's a good time to pick these up. Overstreet is also clueless on these as well.

If I were investing, I wouldn't touch anything outside of the first 10 issues of the key Silver Age titles, and move back from there.

I would generally agree that it is safer to invest in the older books such as the GA market. Even with the GA books, however, it is still advisable to stay away from mid-run mid-grade books. It is always easier to resell your books if it has that little extra something going for it. In the case of the GA market, first appearances are already well documented by Overstreet and priced accordingly in the marketplace. It may be easier to play the classic cover game since a lot of them has still not yet been broken out completely by Overstreet.

For example, it would be a good buy if you could find decent copies of Seven Seas #6, Junior Comics #11, Wings Comics #90, Adventure Comics #79, etc, etc. You could also try to pick up copies of Phantom Lady #23 which is just as nice as PL #17, Jumbo Comics #11 relative to #9 or #10, Suspense Comics #1 relative to #3, etc. The point is to try to pick up more than just an average mid-run book which has nothing else going for it.

The only problem is trying to find a decent copy of some of these books. Be prepare to pay substantially over guide when you do find one if it ever comes into the marketplace. The premium, however, will still NOT be as high as what more common recent books such as Hulk #181 is going for.

I believe the "right" GA book will give you a bigger bang for your buck and be able to appreciate more in value over time as compare to the current high-priced high CGC graded Bronze / Modern or non-key Silver book.

Hold on - did you just say ASM 50 is common in high grade?

Okay now i know you are insane. I don't know how you can even put that book in the same availability category with FF48.

HUmongous disprepancy there. Is ASM 50 as rare as DD 7 in high grade? No - but not much else is....