• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me this S.A Crash............

230 posts in this topic

Yeabut...

Back in the fifties it was predicted to burn out in favor of TV or Radio or something like that.

I think technology is today's comics biggest enemy.

I still think comics in some form or another will be popular(somewhat) but I really think in the next ten years - more cost effective mediums might start taking hold - like .comics - a comic done up in an Adobe Acrobat type-document sold for a fraction of the price and emailed to(or downloaded by)the buyer - no printing costs, no paper, etc....

Just my 2 cents.

That is a fascinating prediction. A system like that could make comic books more affordable and available to the masses, undreamed of in the history of comic books. (I love hearing positive stuff).

Could this be the next "unknown" positive development that increases demand for the originals? Could this event be the one that turns comic collecting into a world-wide collecting phenomonon.

Wow, that just blew me away. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I remember an episode of Buffy where Giles was talking to Jenny Calendar. Jenny was into computers and was trying to convince Giles of a computer's superiority when it came to books and research. Giles retort was along the lines of "It is the smell." Jenny said "Giles, computers don't have a smell." Giles response was (paraphrased) "Exactly. Books have a smell. They have a tactile sense. They smell of must and dust and age."

That's kind of how I feel about comics in paper vs electronic. The electronic books - well - they have no smell. There is nothing tactile about them. Paper comics have a feel. Especially the older ones before the super slick covers and high grade interior papers. As they ages they got a "patina" about them. The paper got a bit suppler. The inks maybe mellowed a bit on the interiors. Every time I pick up one of my precodes I always, always note the tactile feedback. And it is not a deliberate " shall now note the tactile feedback" kind of thing. It is completely involuntary and immediate. They just feel right.

I feel the same way..

But today's kids probably don't since I'm sure a 10 year old today has read more on a computer monitor than he has in a real book...

Well screw today's kids! blush.gif

Actually, sophisticated in the ways of the computer as many of today's kids may be, the fact is that paper comics outnumber electronic by a considerable margin, and I believe that today's kids are STILL handling paper a lot more than reading their monitors. Granted, today's paper doesn't smell like it used to, but you can still fold it and stick it in a pocket, bring a bunch to read or trade, etc. And regardless of the exposure of a kid to modern technology, they are still kids overall. At least I hope so.

I feel better already. So nice to see the bright, smiley Thanos face back again.

I think people should actually get their own Avatars, rather than just scamming others.

Some people overpaid for cgc books because they had to get theirs first, because they were sucked into movie hype, because they were clueless. however a lot of us are more patient and have been waiting for prices to adjust.

I just love this non-argument. From this perspective, there has never been a crash, as all the smart money moved away from the speculative books long before prices dropped.

Just replace "CGC" with "Valiant" and see how it works.

So the crash has already occurred - and I missed it! Damn my timing - timing is everything! The truth you keep avoiding is that CGC books sell for more money than raw books ever have. You make up your arguments and conspiracy theories to fit your predisposition for gloom and contraryism. I guess you never have bought a hot new sports car like I was referring to in the previous post. Your real problem is that you have no point of reference other than the crash of the sparkly cover/ multiple variant market with Valiant and Image in 1992.

I think it's drbanner or one of his malformed cronies doing this.

It must seem very humorous for those mired at puberty. stooges.gif

Sleep in it. 27_laughing.gif

Arch, please add OldGuy to the list of possibles.

Arch, please add OldGuy to the list of possibles.

He can add me to the "list of possible" all he wants. It won’t make you any less of a baby. Any [!@#%^&^] knows how to create multiple ID's that can't be traced back to an identifiable IP. Isn't it about time for another tantrum? Shouldn't you be stomping out of here telling everyone how morally bankrupt we all are?

Between you whining to Arch about nothing and Hammer getting the F.B.I on me (lol) I should be locked up and off the board in no time. Oh wait, I'm not off the board. The F.B.I. hasn't knocked on my door and....oh....where is Hammer? Hmmm, gone the way of the Dodo it seems. The dummies and the [!@#%^&^] all take care of themselves in the long run. You next CI?

You made your bed, sleep in it.

There is no crash,just like there is no spoon.The only thing that is not setting record prices is everyone's favorite bronze/modern age books.Alot of people here seem to think the silver age market is crashing too. 27_laughing.gif what books after 1965? darn those Cap 100's! " Hulk Annual 1 9.6 doesn't look like it's going to pay my child's college tutition now" we'll your right,But getting back to Andrew's original thread instead of whining how all your comics are not seeing much of the light of day,Seems Mr.Knight was refering to books BEFORE 1964,you know? Those hard to find JIM's and Hulks 9.0 or better! Early 9.4 Spideys and FF's.Valaints and Image and bronze books and late 68 "keys" are not excatly money makers,I can buy those anytime.I can't however get a high grade JIM 84 anytime i want.Hence,rarity = the more you pay the higher the grade."well on eBay" you say...F eBay! your not going to see a FF 3 CGC 9.4 anytime soon.Most books of this caliber are sold privatetly,you can get more for them sold privately than you can on eBay (am thrilled they lost a lawsuit).The market does not begin and end with ebay. 893naughty-thumb.gif KS

Seems Mr.Knight was refering to books BEFORE 1964,you know?

So now you're defining the Silver Age (as per the Show me this SILVER AGE CRASH thread title) as pre-1964 comics?

Care to wager how many Marvel Super Hero books make the cut?

There is no crash,just like there is no spoon.The only thing that is not setting record prices is everyone's favorite bronze/modern age books.Alot of people here seem to think the silver age market is crashing too. 27_laughing.gif what books after 1965? darn those Cap 100's! " Hulk Annual 1 9.6 doesn't look like it's going to pay my child's college tutition now" we'll your right,But getting back to Andrew's original thread instead of whining how all your comics are not seeing much of the light of day,Seems Mr.Knight was refering to books BEFORE 1964,you know? Those hard to find JIM's and Hulks 9.0 or better! Early 9.4 Spideys and FF's.Valaints and Image and bronze books and late 68 "keys" are not excatly money makers,I can buy those anytime.I can't however get a high grade JIM 84 anytime i want.Hence,rarity = the more you pay the higher the grade."well on eBay" you say...F eBay! your not going to see a FF 3 CGC 9.4 anytime soon.Most books of this caliber are sold privatetly,you can get more for them sold privately than you can on eBay (am thrilled they lost a lawsuit).The market does not begin and end with ebay. 893naughty-thumb.gif KS

All of the sturm und drang aside, I think the CGC market has crashed. There are two different definitions of what a crash is. Do CGC books still sell for multiples of Guide? Yes, they do. Can everybody make more money selling CGC books than raw? Yes they can! BUT, and this is the BIG but, the multiple is significantly less than it was a year ago for almost ALL books published since 1966 (and even on some books prior to then). People were getting silly money for 9.6, 9.4 "common" books a year ago, and they just aren't now. That's the crash that happened.

Yes, the price is fabulous on JIMs and Hulks and early 9.4 Spideys and early 9.4 FFs, and the price has remained on an upward slope (less than before, but still upward). Again, CGC graded post-66 books have fallen through the floor relative to their prices last year. That is what has crashed. The market as a whole is fine. I love to get raw books now, because they always sell.

Joe,

who cares about books after 1965? they are too common,yes 1968 is the silver age but it's almost like the silver age has 2 sides,the rare side and the common side.I collect the rare side,while most others but not everyone collects the common side,I used to to the same thing until i smarted up and sold them all off. KS 893blahblah.gif

People were getting silly money for 9.6, 9.4 "common" books a year ago, and they just aren't now. That's the crash that happened.

Yea, you can blame the census for that one 27_laughing.gif. But what were you thinking on those spideys in the 160's?? it's just filler stuff. But i have seen guys walk into the comic store before the spidey movie and buy a ton of spideys."I don't know...I just don't know"!! --bruce wayne

Most Silver-Age and Golden Agel books have not gone up significantly in grades of VF+ or worse in the past 8-10 years (regardless of if they are slabbed) If you look at some old CBM issues from the mid-nineties, you will see what I mean.

Yes, high grade has always been King. And because of CGC, it has become more of the King (i.e. the spread has widden even further).

The real question is: Has the boost in prices caused by CGC for NM books finally reflected the real market value for these books? Said another way, is the spread between low/mid/high grade prices finally reached its end (i.e. the ratio will now be consistent).

If that's the case, unless you assume a book in all grades will increase, the days of buying a book at fair market value today and selling it for a huge profit in the future is over.

Right now, a CGC NM Silver-Age Marvel book will bring about SIX times the amount of the same book in VF. That's a huge spread. I don't see that multiple increase much in the next five years, therefore I don't expect to see much increase in prices. Doesn't mean you can't get a good deal now and make a profit. Just means that if you buy a book at market value today, don't expect to sell it in a few years for a lot more.

Remember, to a certain degree CGC changed everything about collecting and investing in comic books. For better or worse CGC has allowed many books to be sold like a commodity. And that's just the way it is.

Most Silver-Age and Golden Agel books have not gone up significantly in grades of VF+ or worse in the past 8-10 years

cause no one cares about books in VF+ and lower,NM books from the golden and early silver are the investment,i'm not talkin about a year from now after you bought that mile high or that NM Hulk 2,I'm talkin holdin onto books like that till i retire,not to flip it in a month. KS

I collect the rare side,while most others but not everyone collects the common side,I used to to the same thing until i smarted up and sold them all off. KS

so how are those 2 books doing? $4.5K for that last book u picked up? Better work some more OT kid....... makepoint.gif

now don't go into a hissy fit......why aren't u coming to Philly?

so how are those 2 books doing? $4.5K for that last book u picked up? Better work some more OT kid

I don't work overtime,cause i don't need too.I'm not going to philly cause of a number of reasons,and money is not one of them.

well good to have u back on the forums.....to an extent i agree that prices have dropped on many late silver/bronze books (cgc as well). There are many nice VF books I would not mind having however (ST #101,Batman #121,ASM #1-15, FF #1-50, etc). Many collectors and sellers made some decent $ buyin/sellin/tradin the bronze age stuff (that would be me 2). I still like it but am trying to stay 1972 and prior. And yes we all know about 1968.....still $ to be made there as well (Surfer).

I am all for picking up those pre 65 gems but they will be costly (and $4.5K for a 9.2 is IMO not the way 2 go). 893frustrated.gif