• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me this S.A Crash............

230 posts in this topic

I guess it depends on the dealer. A smaller, one man dealer may forego his collecting to put as much of his resources as possible towards his business, at least until he has a strong foothold.

As for Vinnie and Steve, who knows, guess you have to ask them.

From purely a business standpoint, it's obviously best not to have the burden of a collection. From what I've heard, Comgeek(Steve) is all business and dosen't have a collection. There are guys like Mark Wilson and Robert Roter from PCE who I suspect intergrate their collecitons with their inventories. That may explain the astronomical price tags on some of their "showcase pieces". But that's just speculation.

Then you have BlazingBob, and it's been well documented that he's got a killer FF run in his personal collection.

Anyone know for certain of any other bigger dealers who maintain their own collections?

As a dealer, I'm as small-time as they come, but I certainly maintain a personal collection. I currently have only 2 Golden Age books listed on my site, but have quite a few in my collection(Actions, Supes, some really nice Nedors, and a few pedigrees) that I have no intention of parting with, unless I upgrade. I also have several Silver Age runs(JLAs, 80 Pagers, World's Finest) that I'm not willing to sell. I have a full-time job, and don't even try to make a living off comics, so maybe that's why it's easy for me to maintain my own collection. In fact, the whole idea behind setting up the website was to support my personal collection.

Nearmint, speaking of your site, I recieved the Detective last week. Very nice book!

Its interesting that you quoted a result from the Showcase auctions, because, overall, I think they were a disappointment for the prices they realized. Several books sold for less than the cost of slabbing, and many still for barely little more than. I even entered a couple of bids on a lark, because after two years of trying, I had never won a single S-N-E auction. To my suprise, most of my bids (which I thought were below market value) ended up winners. Makes me regret I didn't bid on more.

The current CGC market is a lot more fickle than it was two years ago, and its one of the reasons I don't start my auctions with a low opening bid and no reserve anymore.

Personally, I think they put up far too much stuff and most of the better stuff ended at a terrible time. The ASMs I wanted to bid on ended before 11 A.M. my time. Early morning endings are not good ones smile.gif

Brian

If Spider9698 is the one who won that Spidey 131 9.8, then it would've taken a bit more than an extra $100 over the one that sold today to get it! Based upon the way I've seen him bid on the highest graded books in the past, his bid was almost certainly way above the ending price.

Wonder why we don't see him bidding on the early Silver Spideys?