• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which magazine is better Conan "savage tales" or Savage sword"

17 posts in this topic

Wel 'Savage Tales' switched to Kazar around issue 5 so Conan could star in his very own mag 'Savage Sword'. I'd collect em both as 5 minutes on ebay will get you every issue of 'Savage Tales' (excluding #1) for less than $100. 'Savage Sword' is 235 issues of pure Conan goodness and will give you something to fill up your binders with.

Cool, thanks. I guess I should try for Savage tales 1-5 first and then carry on from there.

Yep, RedRaven is on the money. The Savage Tales are fairly quick buys. And they had good stuff in them, so it makes sense to get them. OF course you will meet a little price resistence with the ST #1 where you'll have to dole out some extra duckets to acquire. If you have ANY reserve about the Savage Tales series, just experience this...(which I am about to post in another thread as well)

Neal Adams... cloud9.gif

1233943-Image0049.JPG

1233943-Image0049.JPG.c3ebb8fc3c7a62e268021b2a5ac972a1.JPG

Let me clarify: binders containing bill cole hole punched mylar sleeves.

grin.gif

I always like collecting chronologically too. Also, I think you'll find the Savage Swords get pretty repetitive after 100 issues or so (or 50 or 150, your mileage may vary) so starting from the beginning is best.

Marc

Let me clarify: binders containing bill cole hole punched mylar sleeves.

grin.gif

I always like collecting chronologically too. Also, I think you'll find the Savage Swords get pretty repetitive after 100 issues or so (or 50 or 150, your mileage may vary) so starting from the beginning is best.

Marc

Aye, my run from 1-100 is complete in multiple but spotty from 101-150 and practically nonexistant from 151 onwards.

The adaptations done early in the run..stand out. Around the early to mid '50's they run out of stories to adapt and some of the writer's don't capture the real Conan. We catch him doing things which are out of character.

However, the new stuff that start's a few issues later are written much better. I am thinking around issues 60 or so.

I've been reading a lot of Marvel titles from the mid 60's on and there is nothing I've enjoyed more than this run.

The stories do jump around in Conan's life throughout the run. Had I known this, I would have taken the time to put the books in chronological order. Maybe something for you to think about. There are brief paragraphs just before the story to let you know when in Conan's life the particular story takes place. You should take the time to read the introduction. It helps to relate to the story.

Also, take the time to look at the map once in awhile when they mention where Conan is. This also helps you to relate what's happening.

Give the back-up stories a chance as well, especially Soloman Kane. Certainly I enjoyed the Conan stories better, but some of the back-ups were quite decent.

I've just finished reading issue 72 and it's all great. I have not as yet found the stories repetitive.

Happy reading. thumbsup2.gif

if you're into awesome cover art then "Savage Tales" is your choice...if your into some of the finest Conan interior art then there was no better team to found then that of Buscema/Chan in the pages of "Savage Sword"...also in "Savage Sword" there were alot of REH based stories and the scripting was on a much higher level than that of "Savage Tales"...

Bottom line....between the 2 "Savage Sword" is your best choice... thumbsup2.gif

for what these go for, particularly for non-NM copies, they're bargains just to read and enjoy. Savage Sword 1 - 100 shouldn't be such a daunting task to put together, particularly if you accept some VG copies for the early issues.

Savage Tales, at least the conan issues, are cool too, but there aren't many of them.

ST #1 gets a little bump because it is the first Man Thing as well.