• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Mag Gamut

15 posts in this topic

This is a recent pick-up. The Ploog cover was the only attraction for me as I was not familiar with this publication. It turns out it was published for a cartooning program at Sheridan Collage, Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Inside it states that Ploog was a guest instructor there and the interior art is probably from the students.

1235611-Gamut%231.jpg

1235611-Gamut%231Indecia.jpg

589a90a94440b_1235611-Gamut1Indecia.jpg.7a2cbec67134733ef10c69107221596f.jpg

What was really cool and unexpected is that after several student works, who pops up to explain that some famous artists have shared their knowledge with the class?

Non other than Cain fom the House of Mystery!

1235628-Gamut%231Pg33.jpg

It appears that Ploog and Wrightson were the only two that were definitly at the Collage. As for Will Eisner, Jeff Jones and Neal Adams; They might have been there or just sent examples of their work (it isn't made clear).

1235628-Gamut%231Pg38.jpg

Above: Wrightson's unfinished "Bat Bunny"

589a90a94d457_1235628-Gamut1Pg38.jpg.a2383a9bfcfe3f9299aa9c57c51fe4c2.jpg

Here are some of the art pages. One by Adams ( is that Jesus???) and one of Wrightson's cover to HoM # 213!

1235642-Gamut%231Adams.jpg

1235642-Gamut%231Wrightson.jpg

All in all I'm very pleased with this find. In the issue it states "...if all goes well, next year will see Gamut # 2". Does anybody have more info on this mag or know if other issues were produced?

589a90a950e2c_1235642-Gamut1Wrightson.jpg.95a158cd6b4f3f77dd772364cccae619.jpg

Hey Jay, yah I'm fond of that Gamut Fanzine. There is a #2, but I don't think that lone copy you just posted is it. I think it might have another Ploog cover. Man I can't recall for sure, but I do remember seeing a different Gamut cover out there. Fun stuff thumbsup2.gif

Bounty, I wasn't aware of this fanzine before I stumbled across it on the 'bay.

I think it's pretty cool as it covers some great artists during their height in the Bronze age. I still wanna know if that is supposed to be Jesus C. in that Neal Adam's piece! insane.gif

Yeah, I saw that and that's what it most likely is, but since the "J" was angled slightly I thought it could have been a stylized "D" standing for D.C. Comics perhaps.

I believe the character is from the National Lampoon strip Adams did called "Son of God".

There were three issues of Gamut that I know of. I don't remember which issue is which, but there is one with a Wrightson cover as well as the Ploog and Eisner ones.

I got in a heated debate with someone over "how many" were done. I know of 2 with Wrightson covers. I have one and bailed on the 2nd when it went over $50. Next time I won't bail as I haven't seen it since! I have the cover on my site, but don't know the issue number. Someone was selling #1 - 5 on EBay and it wasn't included. He said that's all they did according to the web. Well if it's on the web it MUST be true! insufficiently_thoughtful_person! They're under fanzines on www.wrightsoncollector.com

They were created at Sheridan College in the mid seventies. They had a comic book drawing program, ran by a fellow named Walter Hanson. I can't say how long it lasted, perhaps five years. Hanson invited big name pros up from New York to instruct his students. Hanson, himself, I think was a former high school English teacher who had some organizational ability but no tremendous knowledge on how to create comics.

A lot of the good artists in Southern Ontario took his program back then. Most of them work in related artistic fields. The only one I know of that had a sustained career in comics is Dave Ross perhaps best known for West Coast Avengers and Alpha Flight but who has drawn many of the books at Marvel and DC.

I don't know how many issues of Gamut came out. Looking through my own catalogue I have one with an Eisner cover. I'd put in on ebay in a second if I thought it would sell.

I got in a heated debate with someone over "how many" were done. I know of 2 with Wrightson covers. I have one and bailed on the 2nd when it went over $50. Next time I won't bail as I haven't seen it since! I have the cover on my site, but don't know the issue number. Someone was selling #1 - 5 on EBay and it wasn't included. He said that's all they did according to the web. Well if it's on the web it MUST be true! insufficiently_thoughtful_person! They're under fanzines on www.wrightsoncollector.com

I was going through my collection this weekend and ran across both Wrightson issues. I had forgotten there was a second one.

The copyright dates on the ones I have are 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1979. Do you know if there was one for 1978? If so, do you know who did the cover? Do you have a scan?

If someone had 1 through 5 and didn't have the one Wrightson, does this meen that there is a sixth issue? I looked at my issues and none of them had an issue number, just copyright dates.