• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Bronze and Copper DC, couple of ECs

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have any of the following for sale? Shoot me a PM with price(s) if you do. Thanks.

Crime Suspenstories: 17, 22 (VG or so)

Ghosts: 42 (NM or higher, raw)

Sgt. Rock: 398, 399, 404, 405, 412, 419, 420, 422 (NM- or higher, raw)

Star Spangled War Stories: 153, 154, 155, 161, 164, 170, 172, 173, 175-182, 186, 190, 193, 197, 200-204 (CGC 9.0 or higher)

Unknown Soldier: 208, 211, 220, 221 (NM- or higher, raw)

Weird War Tales: 20, 36, 41 (VF/NM or higher, raw)

Anyone have any of the following for sale? Shoot me a PM with price(s) if you do. Thanks.

Crime Suspenstories: 17, 22 (VG or so)

Ghosts: 42 (NM or higher, raw)

Sgt. Rock: 398, 399, 404, 405, 412, 419, 420, 422 (NM- or higher, raw)

Star Spangled War Stories: 153, 154, 155, 161, 164, 170, 172, 173, 175-182, 186, 190, 193, 197, 200-204 (CGC 9.0 or higher)

Unknown Soldier: 208, 211, 220, 221 (NM- or higher, raw)

Weird War Tales: 20, 36, 41 (VF/NM or higher, raw)

Hey Weird,

I may be able to help you out on the Unknown Soldiers and Sgt. Rocks... lemme see, and I'll get back in touch with you.

Aren't those books a biatch, though? It amazes me just how tough all the 1977-1983 DC war books are in grade. Doug Sulipa had some smart things to say in Overstreet's latest market report, that 9.0 on any of these books is now considered top--of-grade for many collectors, since 9.4+ books are vritually non-existent. I've spent years trying to round up 9.0 and better on these, and it's a never-ending quest.

Thanks

Shep

Hey Weird,

I may be able to help you out on the Unknown Soldiers and Sgt. Rocks... lemme see, and I'll get back in touch with you.

Aren't those books a biatch, though? It amazes me just how tough all the 1977-1983 DC war books are in grade. Doug Sulipa had some smart things to say in Overstreet's latest market report, that 9.0 on any of these books is now considered top--of-grade for many collectors, since 9.4+ books are vritually non-existent. I've spent years trying to round up 9.0 and better on these, and it's a never-ending quest.

Thanks

Shep

Tell me about it. It is basically a lot of ordering on ebay and then lucking into some NM but most of the time getting FN/VF. You wouldn't think the Sgt. Rocks in the 400s would be a problem, but it has been easier for me to get issues in the 300s.

These are items dealers just do not have either due to supply and/or low value. I just don't think they were ordered and saved like other series of the day.

I bought all my Sgt. Rock books off the stands, basically every issue from #306 to #390. I read them all down to FN/VF (or worse!).

For some reason, I have heard these books are a little more plentiful up here in Canada... no surprise, since if you read the letter columns from this era, there are a lot of letters from Canadian fans.

I completed my HG Sgt. Rock Runs by buying two large collections. In 2001, I found a near complete run of Sgt. Rock in VF/NM at a shop in Toronto called 3rd Quadrant. I picked them up (about 85 books) for $100!!!! The early books (from #310 to #340) were almost all NM to NM+.

In 2004, the Silver Snail in Toronto appeared at the first Paradise convention with a near complete run of Sgt. Rock, this time almost all NM/M. I cherry picked about 50, all at $5-$7 a piece, and was happy to pay that.

Aside from structural flaws on these books (corner dings and spine stresses) the most common problem on these issues is page quality. DC was using a very poor grade of paper on these books in the late 70s/early80s - it's almost greyish-beige. You often see the same porr PQ on the horror books from this era.

There are still a handful that I would like to upgrade (notably #374... tough book to find in grade for some reason), but overall I'm satisfied with where my Sgt. Rocks are. It is an extremely hard run to complete in nice shape.

And don't even talk to me about the G.I. Combats from the same era - they're a total pain in the a s s too!

Sorry to hijack your thread, Weird! I'll send a list along tonight or tomorrow morning.

Shep