• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM LEE headlines COMIC EXPO at FAN EXPO CANADA SEPT 1-3/06

82 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVES ANNOUNCED!

1. New Avengers #23 Sketch Variant

The entire creative team will be at the Expo... Triples!!!!

2. Captain Kirk Action Figure, Limited to ONLY 1000

3. Street Fighter Exclusive..

NEW GUESTS ADDED!

Oliver Coipel

Mark Morales

Degrassi: The Next Generation Stars

and tons more...

info @ www.fanexpocanada.com

HobbyStar mentionned in the Toronto Star, Sunday August 27, 2006

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...ol=969483191630

or

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/omwys

Future Enterprisers

Aug. 27, 2006. 07:36 AM

MALENE ARPE

ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER

The convention, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Star Trek actors. Their continuing mission: to explore strange new convention centres, to seek out questions they've heard a hundred times before, to boldly charge $399 for a VIP ticket that guarantees having your photo taken with the stars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the phone from Los Angeles, William Shatner, who may continue his recent Emmy run at tonight's awards, appears either preoccupied or just not into talking about Star Trek and conventions. Not that you can blame him. Talking about the same thing for four decades is bound to get tiresome. But darn it, that's why we're talking. I don't care about Boston Legal.

Asked whether he enjoys the appearances, like the one with former colleague Leonard Nimoy taking place next Sunday at the Fan Expo Canada event at Toronto's Metro Convention Centre, he allows that "it's interesting to me to see what people are thinking. Many times I can see the growth that people have made from pure curiosity about Star Trek to other subjects." He adds that "the whole thing becomes an exercise in improvisational entertainment."

Next month will mark 40 years since Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek debuted and, despite being cancelled after just three seasons, birthed a new kind of television, a new kind of story and a new kind of fan. The kind of fan who hopes some nugget of information is worth the $129 minimum that a ticket to the Sunday session costs. Or who just delights in meeting the former Captain Kirk and the former Mr. Spock.

Nimoy, on the phone from Lake Tahoe (which may account for his sunnier mood), says he's cut down on the number of conventions he attends.

"I'm probably scheduled for four, five, six Star Trek events every year. Now this year, there happens to be more interest because of the 40th anniversary. That's kicked up some press interest and press interest kicks up other interest."

Nimoy and Shatner, born four days apart in 1931, both seem to prefer doing the appearance gigs together.

Says Nimoy: "I enjoy teasing him in public."

Says Shatner: "I enjoy his company very much, he's very funny on stage and we seem to balance each other very well."

Retired from acting, Nimoy's preoccupation is with photography.

The published author and poet sounds content.

"It has always been a passion of mine and now that I don't need, emotionally or financially, to act or direct any more, I'd rather spend my time on my photography."

In contrast, Shatner is busier than most 25-year-olds. Lately, besides Boston Legal, he's done voice work on The Wild and Over the Hedge ("These animated films are for kids and I've got lots of grandchildren and I anticipate taking them to these movies and having them say `that's sounds like poppa.' Except my 4-year-old, I took to Over the Hedge and the bear in the very first shot scared her, so we had to leave"). He's also devoted time to the Emmy-nominated documentary How William Shatner Changed the World.

Asked about his dream project, he answers cryptically. "Interestingly enough I'm having a meeting in two hours about what could be my dream project. It's a story idea, a -script really, that I've invented that is a unique idea and the production would also be never-done-before. We're having a meeting to see if we can pull it together."

What? What?

"I can't tell you anything else about it."

Okay. What about the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie project rumoured to be about young Spock and young Kirk?

"I have no idea. All I know is I've received an okay from Paramount to go ahead with a series of books that I'm writing on the young Captain Kirk and the young Mr. Spock. I started work on that just recently. And that will be my idea of what the story should be."

What should it be then?

"The troubled adolescence of Spock and Kirk lead them to a series of adventures that make us conclude that they will become the wonderful people that they did become," he replied.

(On another topic, for those who loved the comedy Free Enterprise in which Shatner played himself, he says, "I know nothing" when asked about Free Enterprise 2, which is described as being "in production" on the IMDb website. )

Nimoy isn't particularly in the loop on the Star Trek movie project, either.

"All I know is what I've been reading, probably the same as you, that (Abrams) has been engaged and expressed interest in a Star Trek movie, and the idea expressed so far is that it would be a prequel that would deal with the time and place where Spock and Kirk first met in their academy days."

Any casting ideas?

"I haven't gone there yet. I think it's premature. Although I do, by contract, have the right to approve the casting ..."

(Despite due diligence, no answer from Shatner's people on whether he has the same approval clause ... assuming so is probably okay.)

But back to Sunday's Fan Expo Canada event — where $399 will get you priority seating at the Q&A session, your photo taken with Shatner and Nimoy, their autographs "on an item of your choice" and an "exclusive" 40th anniversary Star Trek badge.

"It's a heart-warming, family reunion kind of event. It's like coming home," Nimoy says.

"It's an opportunity to exchange ideas and stories about the history of the show ... anecdotes on making the episodes, the relationships between the actors. What is your favourite episode? Questions about Gene Roddenberry. Do you see the other actors regularly?

"These are the things people want to hear about. It's a very pleasurable experience. If it wasn't, I probably wouldn't be going."

John