• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Dilemma, which you have probably heard before.

29 posts in this topic

I have a credit sitting with a dealer. I have a shot at 2 8.5 CGC White Page Books or 1 9.0 book with white pages or 1 9.2 Crowley Copy OW. What is a guy to do? I know, a really wonderful dilemma, but still a dilemma.

Crowley 9.2 OW....

Page quality is important, but for me not as important as structural quality. Of course, there is a range on OW, sometimes it looks white, other times it's leaning towards cream. But I would be more interested in a structurally superior book over a book with flaws, but better PQ.

Also, what's the age of the book. If you're talking a books prior to 1965, OW is lovely.

Shep

I have a credit sitting with a dealer. I have a shot at 2 8.5 CGC White Page Books or 1 9.0 book with white pages or 1 9.2 Crowley Copy OW. What is a guy to do? I know, a really wonderful dilemma, but still a dilemma.

Assuming you like all of the comics equally, I'd go for the 2 8.5s.

If not, go for the one you like most.

They are all later issue Whiz Comics. The Crowley has a cover I am particularly fond of Whiz Comics 140 plus I believe it is Top Copy though that means less to me than it should. The 9.0 with white pages, is Whiz #100(which is a difficult issue in high grade).

The 2 8.5's white pages are Whiz #115 and Whiz #101, which are like top 5 books but not really all that great cover art.

I really wish they had Captain Marvel Adventures that I could pick up but it seems that they have been cleaned of VF or Better copies that I could use the credit on.

Now, if Norrin, comidey, Anfield and Bigfiver would just comment. I could get my order placed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Option 1 Whiz 140 Crowley 9.2 top census

Option 2 Whiz 100

Option 3 Whiz 101 and 115 (not so great covers?)

You've already been given the answer....Option 2 is the way to go on this one.

2nd choice would be option 1 and then the other issues. They will be there long after the other two are sold and tucked away in a collection for 20 years. Always go for the best cover/key/condition/rarity when the opportunity presents itself.

Sounds like a good use of your credit. Post a scan when you get it. thumbsup2.gif

Comicdey made a very good point, so I have now confirmed my order. I will probably buy the others by the end of the year, if they are still available. That Crowley was spectacular though. Really vivid yellows. But I think, this choice makes the best sense. I will post a scan in the Have a Cigar thread when it comes in. Thanks guys. yay.gif

Option 1 Whiz 140 Crowley 9.2 top census

Option 2 Whiz 100

These 2 options are the only viable one. Whiz 100 is a classic cover, more so than 140. Add to that the White pages and I'm leaning with the crowd on this one.

A fourth option you didn't list is to keep the credit and wait a little longer and see what else the dealer will have coming in.

I have a credit sitting with a dealer. I have a shot at 2 8.5 CGC White Page Books or 1 9.0 book with white pages or 1 9.2 Crowley Copy OW. What is a guy to do?

Yeah, I can't count how many times I've had to struggle with this exact dilemma. 27_laughing.gif

Congrats (in advance) on the book! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, it is nice. I had orginally put a copy of Police Comics 102 (Church Copy) on timed payments. Well, looks like I can make the schedule so the dealer was gracious enough to let me use full credit for what I paid. So, looks like #100 will be heading to my home in the next day or so. Thanks for all of the advice guys. grin.gif