• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Dilemma, which you have probably heard before.

29 posts in this topic

I like the Whiz Comics better but they are pricier. The Captain Marvel Adventures can be found at my price point more regularly. I could probably snag copies of the first 3 for under $1000(granted pretty ratty copies) where as I would be hard pressed to find a copy of Whiz #2(1) at that price in any condition. So, CMA's have been easier to find. I have been having luck finding decent copies of Whiz Comics #100 and above(except the scarce issues). I once stated I could find a run of Action Comics 1-25 in a week, if I have nigh infinite resources. I could come close. I am not sure I could do that with Whiz Comics 1-25. There are some seriously pesky issues in that run.

I will probably break down and buy the rest of the other books I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, by year's end. If they are still there that is.

What's the earliest copy of Whiz that you have? I'm not a Fawcett collector, but I do really like some of the early Beck covers like Whiz 18 & 23. Ever thought about plucking down some big money on a Church copy? I've seen several available on different websites.

I believe it is Whiz Comics #100. I have a copy of Whiz #100 in seriously ratty condition. I guess, that one will hit the forum before too long. I love the early Whiz Comics Pretty much from #1-35. Some of the later ones are cool like #140, I hope to have a full set someday. At the rate things are going I will have a full set of CMA's before then though.

Nice pickup Scrooge. I haven't seen that cover so that's probably one of those harder to find issues. A Zeppelin cover to boot too! thumbsup2.gif

I think it is harder to find. Somehow the GCD repeats the scan issue 142 instead of this 143. Rarely seen on eBay. Bid aggressively in my frugal manner to get it. Wish it was a little cleaner but it's structurally very sound. Now, finding the Master I need is going to be another story. I don't recall ever seeing it on eBay these last 4 or 5 years blush.gif I have seen the Marvel Family but it's been a while. I already have the CMA and CMJr I need.

I once stated I could find a run of Action Comics 1-25 in a week, if I have nigh infinite resources. I could come close. I am not sure I could do that with Whiz Comics 1-25. There are some seriously pesky issues in that run.

I've got Whiz 1-20, and I'll disagree with you a bit. I didn't have a horrible time finding any of those books, at least not the kind of trouble I have finding pre-Sandman Adventure Comics or pre-Green Lantern All-Americans. I will say that they are clearly less common than DC superhero books from the same time frame (1940-41) while prices were a bit more reasonable, which made it a FUN run to collect.

Finding an unrestored Whiz #1 was the hardest task. I swear, that thing is the most restored key I know of. Every copy I found seemed to have color touch or had been cleaned or reinforced or something.

Pre Sandman Adventure and All-American are a different class of book really. And a complete 893censored-thumb.gif to find. I was comparing Action and Whiz. I wouldn't want to go looking for a set of Green Lanterns either.

Well, just want to thank everyone one who helped me pick this book out. So, here it is:

157515465_77c384e430_o.jpg

157515466_0adea809e1_o.jpg

I have a Whiz Comics #67 coming in the mail. Look for pics of it in the "Fawcett Thread", the "GA Collection", the "This week in your collection" and the "I have a really Big Head because I have all this Captain Marvel Goodness!!" threads. grin.gif