• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis' Grading

81 posts in this topic

My fellow bronze collectors find the grading hit and miss. So, with that in mind, they do accept no-hassle returns unlike the Mile Highs of the industry. I would personally involve Vincent to check the grading for you especially if it is a pricey book, to minimize the hassle.

I've bought three books ever from Metropolis one of which was an Unexpected 110 advertised as a Near Mint and it is a 9.2 possibly 9.4. The two silver books were both advertised as 9.0's and I'd say neither would get better than 8.0 probably 7.0.

On the expensive HG Raw books, i.e. anything over $200, grades are off by 1 to 2 grades.

UHG, 9.6 and up, close but no cigar tongue.gif

Ive purchased a few books from them. One was a raw 9.2 (their grade) Haunt of Fear and when I got it it was a fantastic copy but it did have a sm. chip out of it and some oxidation shadows as well as a couple of creases on the back. I had it online graded here on that forum and they said anywhere from 8.0 - 9.0. I myself in having the book in front of me would grade it as a 9.0 (too many positives to make it anything less). The other book was a 5.5 but I would say it was more a 5.0 or maybe even a smidge less. IMHO they grade too loosely at least on the books Ive recieved. I still would buy from them though great customer service and I was overall happy with the books. 27_laughing.gif

I bought a group of supersnipe from them, some were right on, but others had defects that I didn't think should be in the grade. Still was happy, and left it at that. I'd buy again if they had the book I really wanted.

I've bought a handful of raw GA/AtomAge books from them over the years. Grades FR-VF. None priced more than $155. They were either what I would grade, or a grade under, maybe two at the worst. About average grading from my limited experience in buying from major dealers - looser than some, tighter than others. I would buy raw from them again if the price was what I'd be willing to pay if the grade was even close. I don't buy that much because I'm generally looking for bargains, and those are hard to come by with Metropolis.

My fellow bronze collectors find the grading hit and miss. So, with that in mind, they do accept no-hassle returns unlike the Mile Highs of the industry. I would personally involve Vincent to check the grading for you especially if it is a pricey book, to minimize the hassle.

Excellent advice Sterling. I bought two ToS Oakland Pedigree copies and i emailed Vincent with what I was interested in and had him check the books himself. He concurred that they were graded right and when I got the books I agreed.

I have had decent success with Metro regarding their bronze age grading. Bought a number of 9.0 or better bronze FFs and they were mostly very close or dead on. One book (a 30 cent variant) appeared okay in the bag but was missing a chunk out of the back cover. Obviously, this book was bag graded. But overall, Metro is pretty decent with Bronze.

Golden age has been a very hit or miss experience with me. They have a tendency not to mention what some collectors consider serious flaws - tape repairs, poor paper quality and nasty dust shadows. A GA 6.0 can be gorgeous, or it might have serious flaws... it's really a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot.

The thing with Metro is that you can't be shy about returns. My philosophy is that if I am paying Metro's aggressive prices (usually well over guide for the books I want) for a book in a certain condition, it better be in that condition. I can accept that some books you have to pay over guide, but I won't accept paying well over guide for an overgraded book.

How does their grading compare for bronze-age books? Higher, bang-on or lower than CGC standards? Any opinions?

My opinion is that you'd be better off buying your Bronze Age books from Nikos sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

How does their grading compare for bronze-age books? Higher, bang-on or lower than CGC standards? Any opinions?

My opinion is that you'd be better off buying your Bronze Age books from Nikos sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

I second that! thumbsup2.gif