• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scanning advice needed

19 posts in this topic

I scan the top and bottom halves separately and then stitch them together in Photoshop. If I'm feeling lazy I shoot them with the digital camera, but it never looks as good.

I'd like to scan my art - how do you guys get clean full size scans?

I bought myself a large format scanner...took out 60% of the work.

Chris

If time premits I do the scan and stitch method. It takes a while to get good at it but after a few you get the hang of it.

Another avenue you might want to look at is reducing them on a copier. I brought 2 portfolios up to the office one weekend and reduced them all down to 8.5 x 11. Then I scanned the copies.

Another avenue you might want to look at is reducing them on a copier. I brought 2 portfolios up to the office one weekend and reduced them all down to 8.5 x 11. Then I scanned the copies.

Not a bad idea! How do they look in comparison to standard scans?

In my opinion, it is not the same. I plan on using my scans to print my pages on my large format printer and use that as my "display" piece, while keeping the originals in a more safe location. Scanning from the original helps me keep the image close to its original form....

In my opinion, it is not the same. I plan on using my scans to print my pages on my large format printer and use that as my "display" piece, while keeping the originals in a more safe location. Scanning from the original helps me keep the image close to its original form....

That's exactly what I do. I scan in thirds, piece them together digitally, then print them off at 11"x17". The quality I get is pretty darned good. Only the greyscale nature of the printouts give away that they're copies.

I agree, not to mention a standard xerox copy will convert everything to black, loosing any blue line or any other coloring that may be associated with the original. Also some fine gradations in pencil line may be lost as well.

A3 Mustek is a fine scan if you want to use it for Black & White. For color, just forget it and go for an Epson but prices are not the same at all.

I agree- I'm purely putting it up as a B&W/Grey scanner which would take care of most OA. In house we use HP/Epson for high-end color.

I'd like to scan my art - how do you guys get clean full size scans? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We have one of these:link

Inexpensive and produces a great result.

Thats what I use for my art (color and B/W). The color stuff looks a little pale I think, and could probably be adjusted if I took the time.

I used to scan my pages in three parts and stitch them together. If you plan on scanning more than 10 pages (30 scans), this gets to be a pain in the asz REAL QUICK

We have one of these:link

Inexpensive and produces a great result.

I bought one of those Mustek scanners a couple of months back and I absolutely hate it. The quality of the scan was the worst I have ever seen. There is no way I would ever use one of those again.

No, it's not the same but it's darn good when you want to scan bulk. Here are a few samples for reference...

Avengers_v3_i54_p08.jpg

Sub-Mariner_v1_i41_p21.jpg

What_If_v1_i44_p03.jpg

weird, I've just replied to a similar question in another thread - so sorry if you've already read this, but...

I use an old SCSI Mustek A3 which I picked up cheaply from eBay. I scan full colour at 300dpi which produces a huge image - I then use the "GIMP" open source editing tool (http://www.gimp.org/) to resize this by 50% and I keep these images as masters - I've uploaded one to here (the high detail is lovely - click the image if your browser resizes it)

http://www.btinternet.com/~nicktf/large.jpg (1mb download)

For the CAF, I then resize this image with a width of 600. I'm rescanning all my stuff (slowly) using this convention. An A3 is great until you come to those early twice-up Bill Sink New Mutants pages - they need to be scanned in two parts and stitched.

Cheers

Nick

I use an old SCSI Mustek A3 which I picked up cheaply from eBay. I scan full colour at 300dpi which produces a huge image - I then use the "GIMP" open source editing tool (http://www.gimp.org/) to resize this by 50% and I keep these images as masters - I've uploaded one to here (the high detail is lovely - click the image if your browser resizes it)

I use the exact same setup. You can get a Mustek A3 brand new for $154 plus shipping from a few places on the net. It's made life much easier. GIMP keeps the picture from pixelating when you size down like some other programs do.