• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading by the Ages

22 posts in this topic

I'm not convinced that CGC routinely grades GA on a softer scale than other ages. I've only bought a handful of Slabbed GA - ranging in grade form 1.8 to 6.5 - most I thought were dead on, one a bit undergraded and another slightly overgraded - no different from what one might expect from a reputable dealer. Pre-CGC I bought GA from dealers that graded more tightly than CGC appears to today, and plenty more that graded more loosely. The same still holds true today, no doubt. Sure, one can find specific examples of serious overgrading by CGC on GA books, but the same could be said of any age, and is notable because it's not the norm.

That being said, I would agree that there are a few specific types of defects that CGC may be more lenient with on a GA book - though they would hardly be alone in this. Notably bindry chips and foxing. Slight or non-existent cover gloss and lack of suppleness are often forgiven, but in the case of the former, many GA books had little or no gloss when new. If there is any tendency towards a sliding scale by CGC or anyone else, it is likely to be for "keys" of any era rather than for GA in general - and even that impression may be due to the attention that an "overgraded" key is likely to get.

If anyone can post a scan of a GA CGC graded 4.0-5.0 that looks more like a 2.0 from any age, I'd like to see it. I'm not saying it's impossible, but while I've seen alot of raw "VG"s from a number of dealers that look more like a 2.0 , both in the past and currently, I don't recall seeing a CGC 4.0 that I would consider a 2.0 candidate.

From what I've seen,a CGC 4.5 golden age is usually a very nice book.Their grading seems to be as tight as the raw dealers whose grading I respect(i.e. Harley,Mike Goldman,Mark Nathan,etc.).I would consider buying a CGC 4.5 without a scan,providing PQ isn't below CR/OW. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif