• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS vs. regular slabs

85 posts in this topic

Just wanted some thoughts on CGC Signature series.

If the book is the same, the CGC grade is the same, paper qualtiy and all the other stuff is the same, the only difference is that one book is SS and the other is a regular slab, is there any difference in value? Assume the SS is by the writer or artist.

I think it depends on the buyer.

If it is important to have a certain signature on a copy of a book collectors might pay more. Some collectors don't want any writing on their books and would pay more for an unsigned HG copy. It comes down to personal preference.

What about interior sigs?

I really can't imagine anyone on the market for a particular book wouldn't prefer to have the book signed by the artist over a common Blue label copy.

For example:

SSIM128.jpg

Would somone really prefer a Blue Label 9.4 over a Yellow label one? confused-smiley-013.gif

Would somone really prefer a Blue Label 9.4 over a Yellow label one? confused-smiley-013.gif

Like I said, personal preference. It just might not be that important to someone's collecting goals.

BTW: Nice IM! flowerred.gif

*puts his paws up as high as they go* - Yes i would take the blue label everyday of the week.

In my opinion CGC SS is a gimmick. A very good one that makes CGC a lot of money. It breaks my heart to see otherwise beautiful books ruined with signatures. Especially major keys or high grader's where not so many exist. Great marketing ploy for whomever came up with the idea. It has resulted in thousands more books being signed that otherwise wouldn't have been and at the same time, more submissions.

I don't believe it's a marketing ploy. The FBI is on record as stating that most autographed collectables sold in the marketplace today are fakes. I like the fact that I can buy an authenticated signed book and have the TRUST that it is the real deal not only for myself, but possible buyers as well, and yes, I am willing to pay more for that security.

I view it as a rock solid guarantee, not a marketing ploy.

What about interior sigs?

I really can't imagine anyone on the market for a particular book wouldn't prefer to have the book signed by the artist over a common Blue label copy.

That's my favorite IM story!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

In my opinion CGC SS is a gimmick. A very good one that makes CGC a lot of money. It breaks my heart to see otherwise beautiful books ruined with signatures. Especially major keys or high grader's where not so many exist. Great marketing ploy for whomever came up with the idea. It has resulted in thousands more books being signed that otherwise wouldn't have been and at the same time, more submissions.

You see a book ruined by having it signed. I see it as something special which sets it apart from all the other blue label books that look like each other. However, I do object to individual Signature Series issues signed in high volumes. Saturation of the market, in my opinion, is pure greed.

I don't believe it's a marketing ploy. The FBI is on record as stating that most autographed collectables sold in the marketplace today are fakes. I like the fact that I can buy an authenticated signed book and have the TRUST that it is the real deal not only for myself, but possible buyers as well, and yes, I am willing to pay more for that security.

thumbsup2.gif as a SS witness I love this quote!

To each their own on SS vs Blue Label books, neither is going anywhere soon. SS is getting stronger and stronger as each convention passes. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd prefer a blue label. And a Yellow one is certainly not worth any more to me than a blue, unless a little sketch is involved. I've seen Romita Jr SS ASMs that don't appeal, and I've seen ones where he doodles a little Spider-man head on it, that appeals.

If a SS and a blue label were the same price,I might take the SS.I had hoped to have Joe Simon sign my German Edition Cap #1,but other than that,I have no use for SS series books.I don't understand the thought process that a SS Spidey 60 is worth $200,but a regular #60 is worth 25,if even if Romita signed it.I,myself,would rather have a S&N'd hardcover of an artist than a SS book,but thats why they make different flavors.

True, but bear in mind that the high forgery numbers are due to people forging names like Mickey Mantle, Michael Jordan, Ronald Reagan, The Beatles and Neil Armstrong... that is, high priced, high demand autographs.

Not much risk involved in a JR JR or Herb Trimpe autograph. In all of my years of collecting, the only forged comic related autograph I can recall seeing was a fake Bob Kane.

So, the need for an authenticity guarantee for a modern comic pro autograph is almost zero, IMO. Yet look at the insane prices people ask for a Frank Miller or Neal Adams SS. These 2 guys sign up a storm and are about as rare as dirt. SS is a marketing gimmick in almost all cases... a manufactured collectible worthy of a half hour sellathon on QVC.

*puts his paws up as high as they go* - Yes i would take the blue label everyday of the week.

I like SS on certain books. Common books where it makes sense to me. For example, Beyonder has a marketplace thread with 3 Frank Miller books. I love the signatures on Daredevil #181 and Wolverine #1. I think that I actually hate that he signed the Daredevil #158 because that particular book is a rare book in that grade.

Hope you don't think I am hating on Beyonder's marketplace thread. Where's my flowers? flowerred.gif

Dan

Not much risk involved in a JR JR or Herb Trimpe autograph. In all of my years of collecting, the only forged comic related autograph I can recall seeing was a fake Bob Kane.

Unless you're the one buying the JR JR or Trimpe... yeahok.gif

Unless you're the one buying the JR JR or Trimpe... yeahok.gif

Since both of these guys sign boatloads of autographs for free, and they have a market value of little more than $0, who is going to be forging them? confused-smiley-013.gif

Forgers forge what makes money, not valueless autographs.

The fact of the matter is that signed books never fetched any premiums because comic collectors tend to not like books signed, NOT because there was some great fear of forgeries.

Hence, to make the argument that SS has succeeded because it "protects against forgeries" is somewhat specious. It's arguing that SS solves a problem that really doesn't exist to any substantive degree.

SS succeeds because it is a nifty manufactured collectible. Not because collectors were clamoring for a rock solid authenticity guarantee.

I'm only interested in autographs I get in person from a writer/artist, so having them "validated" by a third party at a cost ain't my cuppa.

That you know of!

insane.gif

SS succeeds because it is a nifty manufactured collectible. Not because collectors were clamoring for a rock solid authenticity guarantee.

Anyone that has done their homework would realize that HG Blue Labels are the true 'manufactured collectible" of the day.