• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeritageComics vs. E-bay...?!

30 posts in this topic

For the last year or so I've been making all of my comicbook purchases through E-bay and so far I only had one problem from a seller. The way the webpage is set-up at E-bay is very straight forward with description of the item to the final payment option and e-mail communication with seller or buyer.

I would like to ask any of you who have made any dealings through Heritage Comics before and ask you the good things about it, or bad that any new member should be aware of, are their transaction procedure straight forward like E-bay? or ease of communcation during the auction time with the seller. Another word is HeritageComic user friendly for new members or is it less so. Because I would like to bid on something there with both feet in and no worries about screw up at making the deal.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifboo.gifmakepoint.gifgoodevil.gif

I purchased a Werewolf By Night #1 CGC 9.2 from Heritage about a year ago. The price was consistent with Ebay including the seller's premium. Service and delivery was prompt. I liked it but I think it is harder to "snipe" or find a great deal on Heritage than on Ebay.

I've bought a lot of stuff both on eBay and from Heritage. To me, I've gotten much better deals through Heritage (but that's just me). The big advantage, I think, that Heritage has is that you know they actually are going to sell you the comic they say they will. They aren't flakes like some eBay dealers. Yeah, there's lots of controversy about their bidding policies, but that doesn't really effect me since I buy stuff that doesn't seem so popular and so I usually get good deals. I don't try and bid on those CGC 9.6-9.8 low number ASMs!

Their shipping is almost always speedy (though once it took a very long time). And you can pay with a credit card over the phone.

It just depends on the dealers you're using on eBay, if you have a bunch of good ones, thats great. But I've found that Heritage is pretty reliable, but you certainly can't snipe there.

I like Heritage a lot. I bought several books in the last few auctions. The auctions closed on Sunday, I paid with a credit card on Monday and had my books that Friday. Can't ask for more than that.

Can't wait for their Signature auction in July.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I usually buy something from every Heritage auction. I've bought both comics (both raw and CGC Graded) and art. Their customer service is pretty good and with the exception of my current lot which, for some inexplicable reason is being sent via UPS Ground, their shipping is usually lighting fast. I pay on Monday after the auction my books are in my hands on Friday or Saturday. Prices I've paid have ranged expensive to cheap depending on the lot.

All in all I have no complaints about Heritage- except for them sending my books via UPS Ground of course 893censored-thumb.gif

I'm actually not a huge fan of Heritage... but in terms of whether they have good customer service and security that you'll get what they say you'll get? I don't think anyone should worry about that... I've never heard of anything going sour with them from any service aspect.

I usually end up purchasing something from Heritage every time they have an auction, with the exception of the last one which I couldn't find a thing in. Anyways, never had any problem with shipping. Their quick with emails and quick with shipping. Very friendly on the phone and in emails.

Their P.R. needs a little work and some of their practices are a little..off..to say the least..

Brian

I usually end up purchasing something from Heritage every time they have an auction, with the exception of the last one which I couldn't find a thing in. Anyways, never had any problem with shipping. Their quick with emails and quick with shipping. Very friendly on the phone and in emails.

Their P.R. needs a little work and some of their practices are a little..off..to say the least..

Brian

I couldn't find anything in the last auction either!

Despite certain accusations, and questions as to what goes on behind the scenes, I will continue to be a proponent of Heritage because the fact is, they pull in the prime material you don't often see on ebay.

You can wait a week with Heritage as well. I usually just wait until they email me telling me my invoice is ready. If you wait a couple weeks on Heritage they downgrade your bidding status. I'm not sure what exactly that entails but I'd assume it's not good.

Brian

Yeah they have some great stuff and bargains every once in awhile - as long as you don't mind the high probability of shill bidding by their own employees and very expensive books which change grades and labels from purple to blue, bid away! Check out some past threads on Heritage in this section for a better perspective. I think it would be fun if some of the heritage employees would post here to tell us what great deals they have purchased at some of the auctions, and maybe they could explain exactly how the famous "bump" works.

Re Heritage:

Huge negative: BUYER'S PREMIUM

I bought some stuff in March here in NYC. It was extremely smooth. The guys are all nice enough and they had really good food and drink completely free. Kinda cool. The sales tax part wasn't so cool (only for NY and TX res), but what are you going to do.

DAM

I neg'd them last week because I received two CGC Sea Devils where the slabs had been cracked. When I enquired as to their policy around this I received no response. I tried again and still got nothing. Now I was not really put out about the slabs as they weren't HG DC SA keys but it just pissed me off that they didn't seem to care.

Upon seeing the neg Jim dropped me a note to find out what happened. I forwarded him the emails and upon research he found out that it was one of those cases where somebody thought somebody else was looking after it.

Jim then offered me a $100 gift voucher to use in any subsequent heritage auction. He then proceded to give me positive feedback.

I have to say that their professionalism and service is beyond reproach.

In regards to their books, I generally pick up a few obscure DC titles on a monthly basis and have had no problems with their grading (if they were raw).

Bid difference is that Heritage expects payment within a few days. So if you're in a bind and payday is several days off, then you might be in a little trouble as a lot of sellers on Ebay will give you a couple of weeks to pay.

I've never purchase from Heritage, so I don't know the answer, and I know this is probably a dumb question, but...do they accept Paypal?