• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who lives in T.O?

60 posts in this topic

There seem to be quite a few forum members that live in Toronto, Canada. Just wondering what comic shops(if any) most of you deal with. Most of my comic collecting is on Ebay, but I'd like to find a local shop to do business with. I used to deal with THE COMIC POST, but that was years ago.....I recently visited PARADISE COMICS, and was thinking of submitting some books to CGC through them. Who knows....maybe I can fill my "want list" locally.

By the way....if you OWN a comic shop and submit books to CGC, please let me know. Thanks

There seem to be quite a few forum members that live in Toronto, Canada. Just wondering what comic shops(if any) most of you deal with. Most of my comic collecting is on Ebay, but I'd like to find a local shop to do business with. I used to deal with THE COMIC POST, but that was years ago.....I recently visited PARADISE COMICS, and was thinking of submitting some books to CGC through them. Who knows....maybe I can fill my "want list" locally.

By the way....if you OWN a comic shop and submit books to CGC, please let me know. Thanks

I live here, and I go to Paradise Comics all the time. They are great guys. I put all my CGC books through them. I only buy new books, but they specialize in Silver Age.

I used to go to Dragon Lady Comics (before it moved), and Silver Snail. But it is a pain in the 893censored-thumb.gif to get there.

For the last few years, I have only purchased books at Paradise Comics. They are hands-down the most professional comic shop in the city, and that actually gives a darn about the collector community and the hobby. I have also dealt with The Beguiling, Dragon Lady, Excalibur Comics and 3rd Quadrant throughout the years. I do not deal with 1,000,000 Comics, the Silver Snail or Pendragon.

If you submit books thru Paradise, do they give you the 20% discount? I want to submit about 20 books, and any reduction in costs would be great. I'm looking over the books I want to submit right now cloud9.gif I'm thinking about going in on Monday....

The only comic store I ever go to is Paradise, and that's usually only for submitting books.

I've been trying to PICK which 20 books I should send in. I can't really afford to "slab" 20 books....but I can't see WAITING that long for any less. I've never submitted any of my books before, but I figured it was time. I've decided on most of them....

[*]ASM 77 [*]ASM 122 MJ insert [*]ASM 122 Mennen insert [*]ASM 140 [*]ASM 298-301 [*]2 copies of MTU 53 [*]IRON FIST 15 [*]MTU 1 [*]MTU 2 [*]X-MEN 140 signed by Byrne [*]HULK 212 [*]CRAZY 3

I think I need 4 more..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

im in toronto as well. paradise comics on yongue is pretty much the best shop we got in the city.been to the others. theyre pretty much rag-tag....silver snail is a joke, the toys have outnumbered the comics in the store. t.o. needs more quality shops in town.

I'm also in Toronto, and I also shop at Paradise Comics, which is no secret. I've been going there regularly for over 12 years. They are a great bunch of guys to deal with, and the store has all of a sudden become the "collector's" hub for the city, and the source of many interesting ideas such as the ComicLotto.

Unlike most shops in the city Paradise gets the quality books, and Peter knows how to grade fairly and accurately.Plus, they are the only shop-based dealer in Toronto that makes the effort to promote the store and sell at shows outside of Toronto. Then again I'm biased, as I help Paradise out on the road, usually at the bigger conventions, and Peter (the owner) and I are working together to organize and promote the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon this November.

The other real quality store in Toronto is The Beguiling. If Paradise is the mainstream collector's store, then the Beguiling is the independant/underground collector's store. They are an excellent source for non-superhero material, graphic novels and artbooks..

The Silver Snail is a media store, and I like to drop in from time to time. They are the showcase store that has everything simply because they deal in volume. A lot of celebrities like to drop in at the Snail, and it is Toronto's equivalent to Golden Apple in LA.

Dragon Lady is run by a great bunch of guys, but their new site is not convenient for me to get to.

As far as other shops go, I like to explore them from time to time, and there's no one I would really knock as being a store to avoid but I think I've mentioned all of my favourites.

Kev

Except for those X-Men issues you are looking to buy "raw", correct?

What kind of grades are you looking for? Unfortunately silver X-Men will be coming with us to Philadelphia, but you can probably get most of those issues from Paradise in low-to-mid-grade. You should drop by the store after Tuesday next week and take a look.

Kev

Except for those X-Men issues you are looking to buy "raw", correct?

What kind of grades are you looking for? Unfortunately silver X-Men will be coming with us to Philadelphia, but you can probably get most of those issues from Paradise in low-to-mid-grade. You should drop by the store after Tuesday next week and take a look.

Kev

I havent been there in a while. I have to make a special trip ther since its far from where I live and money is very tight till i find a Job([!@#%^&^] economy)

Define low to mid grade?

If the book was super-high grade chances are it would have been sent off to CGC already, so I define low to mid as anything between a 1.0 to an 7.0. He might have a few in the 7.5-8.5 scale as well.

Most of the books would be between a 2.5 and a 6.0. All I know is that there were a lot silver X-Men with us in Pittsburgh last month, and Peter picked up a big silver age collection in early May.

Kev

The other real quality store in Toronto is The Beguiling. If Paradise is the mainstream collector's store, then the Beguiling is the independant/underground collector's store. They are an excellent source for non-superhero material, graphic novels and artbooks..

Have to second Kev here and give credit to the Beguiling. Been doing business with them for about the last 10 years. Peter (the owner - not to be confused with Peter at Paradise) is an honest guy and great to deal with. Have had a pull list there for years and they give a great discount on the stuff I buy.

Have just started to drop in to Paradise on a regular basis as well. Initially it was to submit books to CGC but Peter is a straight up guy who's recently been acquiring some good collections and I have purchased a few books there. He's also good with supplies as I have recently been getting a stockpile of the Mylites 2 as well as the Full Back boards from him. It's also nice to see a local dealer so involved with promoting the hobby of collecting comics as he's usually hard at work getting a convention organized everytime I'm in the store.

I'm out in the west end and I've become good buddies with the owner at Excalibur Comics (Royal York and Bloor). He doesn't have the Silver/Bronze back issue depth like Paradise, but he's a good fellow and treats his customers like gold. I really like the Beguiling as well - probably the most organic comic book store in Canada! If you like rummaging, the Silver Snail can be a good place, but their prices are all over the place.