• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who lives in T.O?

60 posts in this topic

TORONTO COMICON GUEST LIST UPDATE (30/7/03)

Show date: November 7-9, 2003

* = Confirmed at or after San Diego

Corporate Confirmed:

CGC, *HERITAGE, *DREAMWAVE, *DRAXHALL JUMP, *UDON

Confirmed Professional Guests & Artist Alley:

JIM STARLIN, MIKE KALUTA, PAUL GULACY, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, STEVE RUDE, PHIL JIMENEZ, *DON ROSA, *TONY HARRIS, DARICK ROBERTSON, *JOE RUBINSTEIN, DAN BRERETON, *PIA GUERRA, KAARE ANDREWS, DAVE ROSS, VATCHE MAVLIAN, CAMERON STEWART, *KEN LASHLEY, *TY TEMPLETON, PAUL RIVOCHE, J. BONE, ANDY LEE, IAN BOOTHBY, BRIAN ROOD, J. TORRES

*ANDREW BARR - DOMINIC BUGATTO - *KENT BURLES - SCOTT CHANTLER - SAUL COLT - DAVE CULLEN - *RICH DANNYS - *WILLOW DAWSON - *ARTHUR DELA CRUZ - WALTER DICKINSON - RODNEY DUNN - *RAY FAWKES - *DON HUCHISON - RON KASMAN - *ERIK KIM - *BRIAN MCLACHLAN - KAGAN MCLEOD - SEAN MENARD - ALEX PERKINS - *DAVE PIETILA - *STUART SAYGER - *BEN SHANNON - R.G. TAYLOR - NOEL TUAZON - ROB WALTON - *SARRAH YOUNG - *CHIP ZDARSKY

More to come...

Full web site will be launching soon...

www.torontocomicon.com

Kev

Hey Kev,

I know there is still a lot of time left before your show, but do you have any further word on Frank Miller coming? 893whatthe.gif

Hey Kev, I know there is still a lot of time left before your show, but do you have any further word on Frank Miller coming?

Hey Alex,

No word.

As per our conversation with Frank, we have contacted his rep at DC. He's a busy guy, so no promises.

Kev

Any chance you can get Traci Lords as a hostess? I met her at the con a few yrs back. Shes a hottie. tongue.gif

Or Aria Giovanni?

Sorry Kev, I guess I started something... grin.gif

On a side note, a little "skin" will pull in a lot more of the, uh, male population. insane.gif

No Alex Ross, we contacted his rep but didn't even get a polite "not interested" response back.

No Traci Lords, but I guess if we wanted to pay her fee, we could.

We made a conscious decision to avoid bringing in actors and actresses because they want appearance fees. Not to say that they don't want to meet the fans, but they want to get paid for it on top of their travel expenses.

We decided that our budget would be better served bringing in more top-notch creators that haven't either been invited to Toronto or hadn't been invited up for a long time (or weren't just the flavor of the month).

For example, some headlining Star Trek tv series actor is not a cheap guest to bring in. For the same price we could fly in and accomodate 50 comic creators. And those creators wouldn't have to be shunted off into a separate signing area where you would have to pay additional fees just to get their autographs. And you couldn't really talk to the Star Trek actor for long, or get him to critique your work, or tell you about how he got into the business, made the decisions he did, what it was like to work for so-and-so, etc.

Yes, someone like Leonard.... uh, WIlliam Shatner may bring in thousands of people just to see him and get an autograph or a picture, and they are going to pay admission which is going to boost your profits as a show organizer... and they can "buy" a chance to get a picture autographed by him, but is Shatner going to help Big B Comics sell their latest collection of High Grade Bronze Age comics? No offense to Mr. Shatner, but I don't think so. Are the people lining up for hours to see Mr. Shatner going to hang out and be exposed to Brian "Obi Wan Shinobi" McLachlan's latest work ( http://adept.wire-fu.com/ ) - maybe buy his latest comic or commission a sketch? I don't think so, they are too busy standing in line for hours on end and they've already blown their cash stash on a single autographed picture..

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

On that note, one of our guys has been talking to Hooters to see if they want to do some on-site promotion.

Kev

We haven't had a lot of luck contacting writers for the show. I wish we had more, but we do have some outstanding offers out there to some writers who said they were interested but haven't confirmed yet so I hope to have more writers added to the list in the next two weeks.

Kev

I just want to clarify that our show is in no way affiliated with the company that puts on the summer show. That company just announced plans in print to do more one-day shows in the Toronto area under the same name as our show "Toronto Comicon". confused.gifmad.gif

The (Paradise Comics) Toronto Comicon is still scheduled for November 7-9, 2003.

The domain name www.torontocomicon.com and the business name Toronto Comicon are both registered to Paradise Comics.

Kev

I just want to clarify that our show is in no way affiliated with Hobby Star Marketing who put on the summer show.

They just announced in print today their plans to do more one-day shows in the Toronto area under the name, get this.... "Toronto Comicon". confused.gifmad.gif

The (Paradise Comics) Toronto Comicon is still scheduled for November 7-9, 2003.

The domain name www.torontocomicon.com and the business name Toronto Comicon are both registered to Paradise Comics.

Kev

time for Lawyers to Step in?

I just want to clarify that our show is in no way affiliated with Hobby Star Marketing who put on the summer show.

They just announced in print today their plans to do more one-day shows in the Toronto area under the name, get this.... "Toronto Comicon". confused.gifmad.gif

Kev

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Just goes to show how scared Aman Gupta is about your show putting him out of business. For years this goof (and I use that term loosely), has had the "big show" to go to. And now that there is another player in the game, he is doing everything he can to screw you over. And you aren't even in direct competition with him, as your shows are 3 months apart. This guy is such a jerk. 893censored-thumb.gif

Every year this guy sinks to new levels of slime. Usually he advertises a really huge name that never shows up, just to get you to come to the show. Or there was the year that Mick Foley (the wrestler known as Mankind/Cactus Jack) was advertised as signing free autographs. Only when you got there were you told that you had to buy an $8.00 comic book that would give you the "free" ticket to get his autograph.

And it gets worse and worse every year. I wish people knew what this guys did behind the scenes to milk more money out of his customers. No one would go to his shows anymore. And if you are at the show at the end of August, ask some of the vendors what they think of him. I bet there won't be too many people who will say they are fond of him.

I have met Mr. Gupta many times over the years but I do not know him well enough to want to make any claims about him, or his actions. I do not know his associate James Armstrong at all.

However, anyone that goes to look for a show called Toronto Comicon on the web is going to find our show, and I think our guest list speaks for itself.

As for legal action.... I cannot comment.

Kev

TORONTO COMICON GUEST LIST UPDATE (08/12/03)

Corporate Confirmed:

CGC, HERITAGE, DREAMWAVE, DRAXHALL JUMP, UDON

JIM STARLIN, MIKE KALUTA, PAUL GULACY, MARSHALL ROGERS, HOWARD CHAYKIN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, STEVE RUDE, PHIL JIMENEZ, DON ROSA, TONY HARRIS, DARICK ROBERTSON, JOE RUBINSTEIN, DAN BRERETON, PIA GUERRA, KAARE ANDREWS, DAVE ROSS, VATCHE MAVLIAN, CAMERON STEWART, KEN LASHLEY, TY TEMPLETON, PAUL RIVOCHE, J. BONE, ANDY LEE, IAN BOOTHBY, BRIAN ROOD, J. TORRES

and...

M@B - ANDREW BARR - DOMINIC BUGATTO - KENT BURLES - SCOTT CHANTLER - SAUL COLT - DAVE CULLEN - RICH DANNYS - WILLOW DAWSON - ARTHUR DELA CRUZ - WALTER DICKINSON - RODNEY DUNN - RAY FAWKES - DON HUCHISON - RON KASMAN - ERIK KIM - BRIAN MCLACHLAN - KAGAN MCLEOD - SEAN MENARD - ALEX PERKINS - DAVE PIETILA - STUART SAYGER - BEN SHANNON - R.G. TAYLOR - NOEL TUAZON - ROB WALTON - SARRAH YOUNG - CHIP ZDARSKY

More to come...

Full web site will be launching soon...

www.torontocomicon.com

Kev

I give 12% off the website, but bring them in and I'll tell you what each one should come back as. You'll eventually find that invaluable.

Peter

Speaking of someone who has used Peter as an independant grader, I have to say that he has an incredible eye for detail and will give you an honest opinion as to the grade of the book. He is one of the main reasons most of my books come back at least 9.6 or higher.

And he does it for FREE!!! grin.gif

[TORONTO COMICON GUEST LIST UPDATE (08/24/03)

Corporate Confirmed:

CGC, HERITAGE, DREAMWAVE, DRAXHALL JUMP, UDON

JIM STARLIN, MIKE KALUTA, MARSHALL ROGERS, HOWARD CHAYKIN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, STEVE RUDE, PHIL JIMENEZ, DON ROSA, TONY HARRIS, DARICK ROBERTSON, JOE RUBINSTEIN, DAN BRERETON, PIA GUERRA, KAARE ANDREWS, DAVE ROSS, VATCHE MAVLIAN, CAMERON STEWART, KEN LASHLEY, TY TEMPLETON, PAUL RIVOCHE, J. BONE, ANDY LEE, IAN BOOTHBY, BRIAN ROOD, J. TORRES

JUST ADDED: DAVID FINCH, FRANCIS MANAPUL, & (likely) DALE KEOWN. .

REMOVED: PAUL GULACY (Paul is busy working on Catwoman and has cancelled his appearances in Toronto and Kansas City. He might still make it but for now he can't come).

CONFUSION: KAARE ANDREWS. The other promoters are advertising that Kaare is the guest at their October show (date seems to be floating and the likelihood of it every happening is poor as no dealers seem interested). That's strange, seeing that he is supposed to be at our show three weeks later. If he is doing their show, and they haven't just confused him (seeing as they are using the same name and all) then he probably won't be coming. We are still waiting to hear back from him.

and...

M@ B - ANDREW BARR - RON BOYD - DOMINIC BUGATTO - KENT BURLES - SCOTT CHANTLER - SAUL COLT - DAVE CULLEN - RICH DANNYS - WILLOW DAWSON - ARTHUR DELA CRUZ - WALTER DICKINSON - RODNEY DUNN - RAY FAWKES - JANET HETHERINGTON - DON HUCHISON - RON KASMAN - ERIK KIM - BRIAN MCLACHLAN - KAGAN MCLEOD - SEAN MENARD - RAMON PEREZ - ALEX PERKINS - DAVE PIETILA - STUART SAYGER - BEN SHANNON - RONN SUTTON - R.G. TAYLOR - NOEL TUAZON - ROB WALTON - SARRAH YOUNG - CHIP ZDARSKY and many more!

More to come...

Full web site will be on Friday. Comicwiz has done a fantastic job.

www.torontocomicon.com

Kev