• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns have been graded by CGC

18 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-man #238 CGC 9.4 OW (Pre-grade 9.4-9.6)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #35 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.6-9.8)

Marvel Team-Up #36 CGC 9.4 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #40 CGC 9.6 ow (pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #42 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #43 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #52 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #55 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #56 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #58 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #61 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #20 CGC 9.2 White (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Two-in-one #21 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #22 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #23 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #24 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #26 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #27 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #28 CGC 9.0 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.6) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Marvel Two-in-one #29 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Powerman & Iron Fist #84 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Tomb of Dracula #44 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

When were these received by CGC, as I would like to get a timeframe for their current grading times. confused.gif

When were these received by CGC, as I would like to get a timeframe for their current grading times. confused.gif

They arrived at CGC on 5-9-03 and have just been graded. Will be here next week sucka gossip.gif

Those the 2-in-1's I sent you a while back? The issues/grades look about right.

What was the door-to-door turnaround? I always thought it would be a neato idea to have our own "turn time" thread so people would know when to expect their books. Moderns are supposed to be turned around in 20 business days, but the last 2 batches I sent in beat that clock by a couple days...

What was the door-to-door turnaround? I always thought it would be a neato idea to have our own "turn time" thread so people would know when to expect their books. Moderns are supposed to be turned around in 20 business days, but the last 2 batches I sent in beat that clock by a couple days...

Look above...you must have been typing this when I replied laugh.gif

Ok, I double checked the dates on my last two modern submittals and they were both exactly 4 weeks from door-to-door!!

Now, that's pretty good, and despite the price increase, if they can get their econs (which looks like they're currently on-schedule at 2 months) down to a month, I would guess that the submittal rate would pick up quite a bit. Not to mention that there are plenty of sub-$200 books (the value cutoff for moderns) published from 1970-1975 that would get graded if they bumped the modern tier back 5 years.... gossip.gif

Ok, I double checked the dates on my last two modern submittals and they were both exactly 4 weeks from door-to-door!!

Now, that's pretty good, and despite the price increase, if they can get their econs (which looks like they're currently on-schedule at 2 months) down to a month, I would guess that the submittal rate would pick up quite a bit. Not to mention that there are plenty of sub-$200 books (the value cutoff for moderns) published from 1970-1975 that would get graded if they bumped the modern tier back 5 years.... gossip.gif

Oh man...if they bumped it back 5 years, I could get practically all my DCs graded at that tier! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm guessing it will happen...eventually.

I won't start the whole discussion about how many pre-1975 high grade books there are out there that have not been slabbed, but would bet a Turok #1 (ok, 2 Turok #1's!) that a very high percentage of the valuable (over $200), pre-1975 high grade books out there available for slabbing (meaning they were sitting in dealers inventories or in the collections of active dealer/collectors that slabbed 'em with the intent to sell), have already been graded. This undoubtedly led to the 6-month turntimes of last year, and is why the turn-times are coming back towards the present now.

In theory, this leaves an increasing % of submittals to CGC as brand-spanking new books, or pre-screens of post-1975 "moderns". Dropping the price of econs, or bumping the timeframe for moderns back 5 years would give a dramatic bump in the number of submissions, and the bottom line is - it would be good for business!!

I mean c'mon, the value cutoff for econs is only $50 higher than it is for moderns...

Great! glad it worked in you favor grin.gifHowever it does point out how CGC can be inconsistent sometimes.

Maybe I was too harsh? As long as CGC is close to my initial pre-grade than I am a happy camper. cloud9.gif If I am way off I review the book to see if I missed anything and if I still can't see what's wrong with it, I call CGC and ask for the grader's notes and compare. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Ricky,

You get your phone call yet, saying they have to charge you extra for shipping?

I must admit I was caught off guard the first time I got mine, saying that the $53.05 that the Heritage website quoted me for shipping and insurance wasn't going to be enough. And that I needed to pass along another $17...

Oh, the joys of living on the west coast...

Hey Ricky,

I must admit I was caught off guard the first time I got mine, saying that the $53.05 that the Heritage website quoted me for shipping and insurance wasn't going to be enough. And that I needed to pass along another $17...

Nope. That would be a bummer though

Hey Ricky,

It's coming, bro... It's coming...

Apparently a month or so back they discovered that what they were charging for return shipping to the west coast wasn't enough to cover the postage. So I got a friendly call a couple days after my box arrived asking how I would like to pay the $17.55 difference. They told me everybody in Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona is getting the same thing...

I understand why they have to do it... but it's a bummer nonetheless... And it makes it hard to figure out what it really costs to get books slabbed...

'House

Hey Ricky,

It's coming, bro... It's coming...

Apparently a month or so back they discovered that what they were charging for return shipping to the west coast wasn't enough to cover the postage. So I got a friendly call a couple days after my box arrived asking how I would like to pay the $17.55 difference. They told me everybody in Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona is getting the same thing...

I understand why they have to do it... but it's a bummer nonetheless... And it makes it hard to figure out what it really costs to get books slabbed...

'House

Whiners....at least you get a call. Mine gets bumped up automatically! insane.gif

Friday-to-friday turnaround for a re-holder (compared to a 2-week turnaround published on their site). Another good job with better turntimes, and that's not even mentioning that CGC replaced the holder gratis (incl. shipping) as the book was squeezed in a too-small holder to start with!

Kudos to CGC!