• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Good Read About The Comic Book Industry - Part III !

70 posts in this topic

I find what is being espoused here to be quite intrusive.

Then might I suggest you haul @ss, and this time around, don't find your way back?

Once you understand this, Pov, you'll admit to your nasty, greedy self that you've never cared about comics at all. Just the money you're constantly getting for selling them. You do constantly slab and sell comics, don't you? Doesn't matter. You're still about greed.

No! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Epiphany! Consciousness RAAAAISED!!!!!! Yes. I am scum! SCUMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willoughby! Please let my next stop be Willoughby! insane.gif

You can't tell me that you haven't recommended a movie you liked to someone else. You can't tell me you haven't recommended a game to someone else. You can't tell me you haven't recommended a novel you liked to someone else.

Honestly, unless they've asked my opinion, I don't. I don't really feel the need to go out o fmy way to promote things I like, but once asked, just try and stop me. :>

I think that's where we diverge; if someone inquired as to getting back some of his childhood comics, I'd recommend EBay, set him up, give lesson, show him some tricks, etc., but not unless some interest was shown and he/she made the first move.

Otherwise I'd feel too much like the zealots, and become what I despise. grin.gif

Damn, POV - after reading Joanna's post and your confession I definitely think less of you. After all, who else on these boards actually owned an Action #1???

Damn . . .

smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

It's more important to Joe to be 'right' than anything else, and because he has predicted gloom and destruction for comics, he must do his part to make that happen by spreading the hate.

To tell the truth Joanna, you're the last person I expected to join the "small minded" crowd and start tossing around infantile generalities.

Then might I suggest you haul @ss, and this time around, don't find your way back?

Sorry, but the "bad for business" crowd can huff and puff but you ain't getting rid of me that easy.

People complain about the "lack of interest" in comics, and about "low sales" off the racks. What people fail to realize, is that "new readers" are not who the Comic Industry is APPEALING to. Why READ a new book, when you could just as easily "SLAB" it, and make some $$$. People don't ask if you've READ USM #1, they ask if you HAVE one. It's not about the stories....It's about the CONDITION of the paper it's printed on. Put it this way: If a kid could only buy ONE copy of USM 33......do you think he would READ it? Or would he "hand-pick" the best copy he could find...and send it to CGC?

Circulation of Ultimate Spider-Man 1: 354,115 (plus 400,000+ FCBD editions)

Number of CGC certified copies: 1,405 (includes 879 red cover and 426 white cover)

Approximate Circulation of USM 33: 120,000

Number of CGC certified copies: 499

Do you honestly think Marvel is trying to sell this book on the basis of sending to CGC? Because if they are, they aren't doing a very good job of getting that message out. The vast majority of collectors do not own a single "slabbed" comic, much less plan to send every comic they buy to CGC...

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Did I SAY that "Marvel is trying to sell this book on the basis of sending to CGC"? I think there seems to be some kind of confusion surrounding my use of the terms "market" and "industry", and your use of the term "collector". If we are talking about "customers", I'm trying to tell you what the CURRENT "market" FEELS like. You can call me a "NEWBIE",.......................but that's WHO we're talking about.

And my point is the "new readers" are EXACTLY who the industry is trying to appeal to... You suggested that the only interest in USM 1 was in its condition, not in reading it. And I am telling you that's ridiculous. I can sell copies of the FCBD version for $1 a piece all day in my shop, because people want to read the story. They know that book will never be worth anything as a collectible. They want it to read the story. If I could order more copies at the 27c they originally cost me I would order 100 more today and be happy to sell them for 50c a piece.

You mention USM 33. My shipment of that book included 35 damaged copies (all creased and no better than Fine-). Diamond told me to hold them for 3 weeks while they figured out if they had replacements. When the three weeks was up, they told me I could send them back for a credit, but they had no more to send me in return. So I kept them. And I sold 25 of them the next week at cover price, with EVERY single customer knowing that the copy they were buying would never be worth anything as a collectible. But you better believe it was worth something to them; they wanted to read the story. When the Must-Have reprint edition shipped, I dropped the price on the 33's to $1.50 and sold all of them the first day.

If your only access to the comic market is this forum, then yes, it may very well feel like the whole market revolves around CGC. But FlyingDonut can tell you with absolute certainty that the majority of back-issue comic collectors are quite happy buying raw comics. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that most purchasers of new comics have no plans to slab their comics. They are too busy reading them.

Sorry, but the "bad for business" crowd can huff and puff but you ain't getting rid of me that easy.

Oh well, you can't fault us for trying!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh well, you can't fault us for trying!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Nope, but might I recommend a Tic Tac.

You can't tell me that you haven't recommended a movie you liked to someone else. You can't tell me you haven't recommended a game to someone else. You can't tell me you haven't recommended a novel you liked to someone else.

Honestly, unless they've asked my opinion, I don't. I don't really feel the need to go out o fmy way to promote things I like, but once asked, just try and stop me. :>

I think that's where we diverge; if someone inquired as to getting back some of his childhood comics, I'd recommend EBay, set him up, give lesson, show him some tricks, etc., but not unless some interest was shown and he/she made the first move.

Otherwise I'd feel too much like the zealots, and become what I despise. grin.gif

Joe, I'm not sure what you think people are doing, but I doubt anyone is going door to door trying to pawn comics off on anyone who'll listen.

I'll give you a small example of how it really works. Soon after I signed up on these boards, I got into a discussion in the water cooler with a coin guy. We argued a bit, I said something he found funny and pretty soon I had a PM. He talked about the water cooler thread for about a sentence, then asked me about comics. He'd read them as a kid, and had a daughter of his own now, and he wanted to know where he could get some comics. I asked him if he would like me to send him a couple of reader copies of comics for her -- SA books from the same era as 'Dad' -- so they could share stories he'd read when young. He leapt at it.

I didn't approach him. I didn't push anything on him. He approached me and I happily sent him some free SA books (Action Comics with a good Supergirl story, Legion of Super-Heroes, stuff a little girl would like with lots of female heroes). I consider that "passing it on". But I would never in a billion years have PM'd him and said "You should be reading comics. I'm going to send you some so that your kid can be indoctrinated" or whatever bizarre thing you're espousing that people are doing.

-- Joanna

JC, I don't want to be rid of you. I value your input on these forums and sincerely hope that you continue to be a member of this community. I know I speak for several people in that regard, though I would hardly presume to speak for all here... (who knows what's going on in Bugaboo's head?)

The saying goes: "If you're stupid, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

There is no doubt that you are extremely intelligent. And the fact that we disagree on a few subjects only adds to my respect for your contributions to the forums. I don't have to agree with you to respect your opinions.

And the fact that you collect price variants means you can't be all bad... insane.gif

JC, I don't want to be rid of you. I value your input on these forums and sincerely hope that you continue to be a member of this community. I know I speak for several people in that regard, though I would hardly presume to speak for all here... (who knows what's going on in Bugaboo's head?)

The saying goes: "If you're stupid, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

There is no doubt that you are extremely intelligent. And the fact that we disagree on a few subjects only adds to my respect for your contributions to the forums. I don't have to agree with you to respect your opinions.

And the fact that you collect price variants means you can't be all bad... insane.gif

Being the forum legend...can't we all get along?

BTW...damn Spurs just caught up! 893frustrated.gif

And the fact that you collect price variants means you can't be all bad...

Dang straight, but I'm still disappointed that you didn't win that Avengers 164 35-cent lot. 893frustrated.gif

BTW...damn Spurs just caught up!

Jeeze, Greggy. How many times do we have to tell you to roll up the pant legs a few inches when you're wearing those spurs!

Dammit...now they're leading.

Damn Steve Kerr! sumo.gif

BTW...damn Spurs just caught up!

Jeeze, Greggy. How many times do we have to tell you to roll up the pant legs a few inches when you're wearing those spurs!

Actually I'd say that Bugaboo has a Western motiff going on this evening. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

It's more important to Joe to be 'right' than anything else, and because he has predicted gloom and destruction for comics, he must do his part to make that happen by spreading the hate.

To tell the truth Joanna, you're the last person I expected to join the "small minded" crowd and start tossing around infantile generalities.

I can be small-minded, too, Joe. I think you're wrong in what you're saying and it set me off. I'm tired of hearing about greed. Greed plays a role with some people, I'd be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to deny it, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of comic book readers aren't thinking that way. When I collected, I never sold a single book, and it had never been my intention to EVER sell a book. I didn't have a crystal ball that could foresee that I would be forced to. If I had my druthers, I'd still have every book I ever owned. And I'll probably spend a great deal of time rebuying my collection when I get back on my feet. And when I do, I'll probably do the same thing I did the last time -- buy tons of reader copies, not paying attention to grade, because high grade makes it more marketable, and I never wanted a reason to 'market' them. Financially, it's a rotten plan. But for the purpose of joyfully reading hundreds of comics, it works great.

Do you honestly think Pov is all about greed? Do you think Lighthouse has no love for comics at all, but sees only dollar signs on every single book? He put a book up for sale and was going to buy it back at a loss if the reserve was met! Where's the greed? C'mon, Joe, be man enough to admit that you are projecting motivations onto an entire industry -- customers, dealers, creators, etc. -- without anything more but your own prejudices guiding you. You hate greed. I don't blame you. It's an ugly thing. But it's not the ONLY motivation that exists!

-- Joanna

We ALL care about the comic industry and where it's going.

I don't. I buy back issues only, and really could care less what happens to all the $4 pamphlets.

My back issues won't disappear if the new comics market crumbles and I'll get just as much enjoyment out of them regardless of their resale value.

So here's an honest question for you... would you rather there be a new comics market around for your kids or nephews/nieces to enjoy? Or are you really indifferent?

And my point is the "new readers" are EXACTLY who the industry is trying to appeal to... You suggested that the only interest in USM 1 was in its condition, not in reading it. And I am telling you that's ridiculous. I can sell copies of the FCBD version for $1 a piece all day in my shop, because people want to read the story. They know that book will never be worth anything as a collectible. They want it to read the story. If I could order more copies at the 27c they originally cost me I would order 100 more today and be happy to sell them for 50c a piece.

You mention USM 33. My shipment of that book included 35 damaged copies (all creased and no better than Fine-). Diamond told me to hold them for 3 weeks while they figured out if they had replacements. When the three weeks was up, they told me I could send them back for a credit, but they had no more to send me in return. So I kept them. And I sold 25 of them the next week at cover price, with EVERY single customer knowing that the copy they were buying would never be worth anything as a collectible. But you better believe it was worth something to them; they wanted to read the story. When the Must-Have reprint edition shipped, I dropped the price on the 33's to $1.50 and sold all of them the first day.

If your only access to the comic market is this forum, then yes, it may very well feel like the whole market revolves around CGC. But FlyingDonut can tell you with absolute certainty that the majority of back-issue comic collectors are quite happy buying raw comics. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that most purchasers of new comics have no plans to slab their comics. They are too busy reading them.

If you had said everything you've said to this point without the HOSTILITY, I would welcome everything you have told me. I'm not sure what it was EXACTLY that I said to ANGER you, and I'm not sure what we're arguing about. I thought this forum was open to COLLECTORS, but obviously I'm not one of those. I was trying to illustrate a "perception" of Comics. Obviously you took OFFENSE to what I said. That's UNDERSTANDABLE. But don't try to QUESTION my "interest" in COMICS. "Who the hell do you think you are"?

Well, I think we can all agree that the Comic Book Publishing Industry has some problems. But, look around. What doesnt right now ?? Even the old standby MacDonalds lost money last year. The Car Industry is in the dumps. Airlines anyone?

Retail business has dropped across the country. Economic growth is running near nothing.

I believe that this industry as a whole is still doing on par or better than other sectors of our economy. I also believe that it can recover quicker than others.

Theres some good books being published, awesome art, good stories. Movies to drive new readership. Long time hidden collections are coming out and spawning a bunch of interest in the hobby. ( $$$$$$$ or not )

Overall its due for an upswing with the correct boost.

This industry is still maturing and like most, I'm riding with it , good or bad.

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif